Surfing BS is good for business haha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surfing BS is good for business haha

One of my responsibilities at my company (there are five owners, of which I am one) is to keep tabs on our computer network and make sure all our systems are working properly.

We were forced into a software upgrade (read: $3000) by Trimble Navigation because of a software coding problem that would not allow Trimble Geomatics Office to process static data collected after a certain GPS date. The new program (Trimble Business Office) has shown to have problems operating in the Windows XP Home environment. XP Pro seems to be ok. The one computer I absolutely need it to run on is a Windows 7 Pro box and it does so without issue. The problem with that particular machine is being able to connect to and download data from our GPS equipment. The new machine does not have a serial port so we have to rely on USB-Serial adapters to connect and download. To say these have been unreliable and irritating would be a colossal understatement.

This is where surfing BS comes in. I remembered that users of older serial-only Megasquirt EFI systems had to use USB adapters and I recalled reading something about them having problems. I did a quick search for "serial" and found the following quote:

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
    USB-Serial cables work fine if you minimize or eliminate the buffers in the driver. I never had one that misbehaved, that wasn't fixed after I changed that setting.
    I jumped from my desk, ran back to the other office, switched the buffers off, plugged in a GPS dome and *BAM* connected right up. I unplugged it, grabbed a data collector, plugged it in, and *BAM* it connected up. YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Problem solved. GIGANTICALLY HUGE WIN.

Thanks to everyone on here for sharing what they know because you never know when something you learn here may apply to other aspects of life.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Cool as hell! No shit!
    Who'd thunk a car problem solves a company problem!
    But then kudos to the guy who put 2 and 2 together to get 5! YOU!

Comment

Ha!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

GRAVY! Oops - I mean "GROOVY!"

Dan

Comment

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

dat was a serious spanglish your talking.......you lost me at software upgrade....

Comment

Excellent story of recollection, correlation, and application (outside of intended suggestion)...good job!
              Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

What he said ^^^^^
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                  dat was a serious spanglish your talking.......you lost me at software upgrade....

I am with you, all I got from that was---- computer no work, read words on pages, computer fixed now...
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Cool! Glad I could help.

I have way too much (work, not just tuning) experience optimizing serial communications. Most of what I apply to the megasquirt stuff comes from that background.

Waaaaaaaay back in 1994, I was in charge of the team setting up all the box offices and call centers for ticketing/reservations at the 1996 US Olympics. A small team of guys (7) took care of nearly 3000 "dumb" terminals spread across 40 different box offices and call centers, all of them ran at 115,200bps over multiplexed serial lines. This was before the days of Serial over IP (Token Ring was the prevalent network method back then, we didn't use it though).

Back then you had to know a lot more about Serial comms than today - like SNA, RJE, and other network topographies, it's somewhat of a lost or dying skill.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                      I am with you, all I got from that was---- computer no work, read words on pages, computer fixed now...
                      Just like me. "Strong like ox, smart like tractor!"
                      "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Originally posted by PatricksDad View Post
                        I just spit coffee out of my nose! Funny! describes me to a tee except for the strong part.
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by PatricksDad View Post
                          That has to be one of the funniest quotes I've heard in a long time!
                          Still plays with trucks....

Comment

I think I agree with Scott. But I didn't know he spoke Swahili.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                              One of my responsibilities at my company (there are five owners, of which I am one) is to keep tabs on our computer network and make sure all our systems are working properly.

I jumped from my desk, ran back to the other office, switched the buffers off, plugged in a GPS dome and *BAM* connected right up. I unplugged it, grabbed a data collector, plugged it in, and *BAM* it connected up. YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Problem solved. GIGANTICALLY HUGE WIN.

Thanks to everyone on here for sharing what they know because you never know when something you learn here may apply to other aspects of life.

Back in the late 80's I think it was, we had to run thousands of Vins to verify a photograph represented what the car actually was and used Hollanders. They shipped with a device that output to printer or the software wouldn't work. It was an audit siuation representing a total of about 225,000 vehicles. We needed the checksum in the software to make sure it was a good VIN.

Don't remember what the device actually was, but I bet it tweeked the I/O in some manner with a buffer or modified the pin out. I was never smart enough to figure it out, but I bet if I would have read your post, I could have eventually got there.
                              Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

Working...
                              X