Let The Pullin' Begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let The Pullin' Begin

As some of you guys know from my previous posts on the subject, I've been working on a 1972 D100 Short Bed truck. I swapped in a rather warm 318, and a 518 OD trans. I was pretty happy with the combo, but when I went in to change the damper because of a mild low-speed vibration, I found the thrust bearings were completely gone in this engine.

I had three choices at that point; try and pull the pan and replace the thrust bearings; pull the engine and do the same, and probably have the crank fixed on the thrust cheeks; or swap it out. The 318 (324 actual) was built in 2003 and was used exculsively as a dyno engine, making as much as 426 hp. I kind of liked the 324, and agonized over which way to go, but untimately decided to just swap it out with the .030-over 360 in my 5th Avenue. I was somewhat reluctant to do this, because chances were pretty good that once I pulled the engine from the 5th, I'd never put it back together.

Anyway, the 360 is a much better engine, with radically ported 051 heads, and FM pistons, it made 477 hp with a small solid flat tappet, and probably about 20-25 less with the fast-ramp hydraulic in it now. I decided that the 360 would be a better engine, and it was never really the right combo in the 5th.

Prepped for the pull late last night, and decided to yank it today. Had it hooked, but it wouldn't come out with the big Milodon sump, and got stuck agaist the firewall and K-member. Had to drop the 727 trans separately, and then it pulled right out.

I'm going to clean it out and then fit a truck pan and stab it in the D100. Since I have a C171 A/C compressor on the truck, it limits the intake manifold choices. The 360 has a Torker II single plane intake on it now, and it is fully ported. The Performer off the 318 will also work with the A/C, and being a dual plane will make more low-end torque. This Performer intake is ported to open it up to 360 port size. I'm just not sure which manifold to use. When I did an intake test many years ago, using this same 360, the Performer was way down on peak power compared to the Torker II, like more than 25 hp. At 3500, the torque was pretty close, but I suspect the dual plane would be better at even lower rpm.

The wild card here is that both intakes are ported, so I don't know if I gained back some of the top end lost with the Performer. I'm not sure if I should run the engine on the dyno testing both intakes before dropping it in the D100.
    -dulcich

If you have free dyno time then why not. If you have to pay for it then I'd just drop it in with the torker II . I don't remember your rear gearing but hey, you know how it works , just match your intake to the rpm band your wanting the best results in. I think you'll eventually be happier with the performer though.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

little d100..mounds of torque down low.

go fro the big intake.

I somehow remember this from a 327 in a chevy shortbox seeing that little d100 bed in the background..

Do the opposite of create torque fast.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I guess I'll apologize in advance since my sense of humor is a bit off this morning.

"The magazine guys say to"... HAHAHAHAHAHA... nevermind.

Some engines don't seem to care all that much if your intake is smaller than the head's intake entrance from what I've *read*.

I'm not sure if I'd sweat the last HP unless you have the extra time. Does it make any difference down low? When do you start making that time or money back, like 4000-4500 and up?

Beside the BBF crowd, does anybody pick a Torker II for a street engine in a truck?

It might be an interesting test though. I thought everyone was pusing the Air Gap as the end all be all you don't need anything else these days. I'd like to see some other stuff tested too.

Test it ported, then unport it and test it again.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Beags, a Mopar small block is sensitive to runner size like that, especially when modified, and will lose power fast. An Air-Gap would definately be best, and when I tested one on this engine years ago, it made as much power as a single plane Strip Dominator and the Torker II, but more low-end torque. Unfortunately, the center thermostat housing location won't work with the C171 A/C compressor in my truck, which needs the later offset T-stat location.

That leaves the Torker II or the standard Performer as the only two intake choices available to me right now. I definately do not want to throw away 20 or more top end horsepower, but hate giving up a lot of torque down low. As for the rpm range, once up and running in the truck, the 360 will see over 6000-6500 rpm on a regular basis, like practically every time I run it up the gears. I just tend to drive my hot rods that way.
          -dulcich

Comment

what would the ET be in the truck with the Torker v Performer? IDK, seems like much ado about nothing
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
              ... As for the rpm range, once up and running in the truck, the 360 will see over 6000-6500 rpm on a regular basis, like practically every time I run it up the gears. I just tend to drive my hot rods that way.
              -dulcich

You DO know, now you've said that, that you are obligated by the expectations of all the BS-crowd to install a GoPro or something similar and provide some real solid proof of such wordy outings...

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

what the hell was I thinking - lol. I get a kick out of your search for the last h.p. , port away! I am curious where it starts paying back though, and if it loses anything down low. Dyno it and store for a future article?

Would removing some of the plenum divider benefit the top end on the Performer? Spacers?

since there's probably a LOT of room height wise, that would make interesting testing maybe.

/edit3

Do you have a flow bench there? I wonder what kind of number changes the mods will make.
                Last edited by Beagle; June 11, 2012, 08:11 AM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Beags,
                  I think I'm leaning towards keeping the Torker II. I just love the way this 360 pulled up top with that intake, and just don't want to give up that high rpm charge. Now, if the combo proves to be a little soft down low, which only really matters to me in terms of whether or not it will boil the tires at will off the line, I'll look at swapping to the two-plane. The low-end torque is completely a non-issue once the truck leaves the line in first gear.

It will take a fair amount of low-end grunt to boil the 12x28 Mickeys from a dead stab. The truck has a 3.55 Sure Grip rear, but the torque converter is a little light on stall. I should consider a looser converter since the drivetrain is coming apart again. Something in the 2500-2800 rpm range would be perfect.
                  -dulcich

Comment

by the title I was thinking the truck had taken another turn and you were going to start hitting up the local truck pull events with it...slightly disappointed, but...I guess a new motor and some wrenching is okay too...
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Visons of 4X4 tires on a Dand 60, spooled, weight racks up front and the muscular 318 screaming with the sled bouncing behind...
                      POP...not to be... Ah well. Still a good read...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Visons of 4X4 tires on a Dand 60, spooled, weight racks up front and the muscular 318 screaming with the sled bouncing behind...
                        POP...not to be... Ah well. Still a good read...
                        Silly Oregonian, there's no mud in California

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          Silly Oregonian, there's no mud in California
                          Don't they have truck pulls down there? Or is it all drag races (hi heel variety?)...

Comment

Californians came up with 32" wheels on Hummers.... any other questions?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              Californians came up with 32" wheels on Hummers.... any other questions?
                              Wonder why... Go over sports cars?
                              No hills down there aren't there?

Comment

Working...
                              X