Building a New Shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOSSMAN View Post
    It was the truck that pulled the trailer. He just unhooked and started using the forks on the back.
    Something new every day.... Hope you have a wiiiide driveway..

Comment

I think I quit working at around 11:30 last night doing prep work in the footings for today (used a lantern in the dark). I woke up late today so lucky a good friend of mine showed up early and set the footing rebar all by himself and was there for the footing inspections which passed. When I got up I called for concrete and then the real fun began.

My wife and son stopped by to see how things were going. Lots of excitement from the lil guy!

I owe alot to these two guys (happen to be brothers), good friends of mine trying to help me out.

One of the concrete trucks broke an axle getting up onto our property.

Ended up pouring 35 yards into the footings - $3400 spent today ouch!
      Nick Smithberg
      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Ouch! That's about what concrete is going for around here too :*(
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

$93 / yard unfortunately. I got quoted $72.50 from a closer place but they couldn't even get me concrete for the next few days. I hope they can help me out on the wall and floors.
          Nick Smithberg
          www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

It's currently ~$115/yd here. Another contractor is trying to get into the market and claiming to get to the ~$90/yd range.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

did the truck break the axle before or after it dumped its load?

ug, concete prices - it was the largest, single expense for my pole barn (25% of the cost)
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Major progress! My son would have been very excited with the big trucks coming and going and watching the progress, he's almost 30 months, and already 37" tall.

Concrete prices are scarey - I keep hoping I'm going to find a property that already has the barn in place, as long as it's not a POS.

This place is going to be the garagemahall!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My concrete was as much as my building kit - about $6500 - and that was a few years ago.

Lookin' good. You're lucky to have such good friends - mine are all too far away! But my bro came from Texas and helped erect the steel.

Dan

Comment

Yes, truck broke the axle making a turn up along side our driveway while delivering it (had 10 yards in it).

Garagemahall LOL, I will make any car guy proud I promise! I'm sure I'll be living in this thing working so much trying to help pay for it.

I have some good friends luckily! They have seen where things have been going for than last 10 years so I think they enjoy taking "the trip" right with me. Not everyday you get to witness somebody take an idea to start a business from absolutely nothing and build it into something or what it currently is today. They've been there with me the whole time and I think I might bring one or two with me to EMC this year.
                    Nick Smithberg
                    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

$93 / yard unfortunately. I got quoted $72.50 from a closer place but they couldn't even get me concrete for the next few days. I hope they can help me out on the wall and floors.
                      How thick are you going to pour the floor??, I would definitely set something up in advance with the guy that quoted you $72.50.......

One question, why didn't you do a Monolithic Pour??...... That is where you pour the footings and the floor all at once..... That's how we did the footings and floor on the house in ShowLow that we built......24" deep/wide footings, the floor is 12" thick on the sides, crowned to about 8" in the middle, rebar gridded over the whole floor wired together and bent into the footings...... If I remember right the rebar was spaced 16" apart in a grid fashion.......

And a little hint, if there are any metal scrap yards in your area, check them out for the rebar, we got ours for pennies on the dollar.........
                      Last edited by TC; June 20, 2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I have to backfill against the poured retaining wall in a couple of weeks which I'm supposed to pour on Sunday. We need to do this before the building gets started. Then my building guy has to dig and set poles for the other wall of my pole barn. Floor will be the last thing I do before I start to section off my new shop area and build that. These footings are 18" wide by 42" deep.
                        Nick Smithberg
                        www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

I have to backfill against the poured retaining wall in a couple of weeks which I'm supposed to pour on Sunday. We need to do this before the building gets started. Then my building guy has to dig and set poles for the other wall of my pole barn. Floor will be the last thing I do before I start to section off my new shop area and build that. These footings are 18" wide by 42" deep.
                          Ok that makes since...... And hey at least you didn't have to pump any of the concrete, I've done that a few times and it's no fun!!!!

Comment

Here was the recap for today. Woke up at 4am cause some thunderstorms were in the area. I pretty much sat watching the Radar hoping that the majority of the rainfall would miss me so we could do my block wall. Luckily the rain only delayed us from starting about two hours and it cooled things down in the morning. Around 10am he got to work - 4 block layers, 1 guy mixing mortar, and 4 of us to build the wall forms and tend to the block layers.

We pretty much got to this point by noon, we were busting butt to catch up!

Retaining Wall forms are set and we will pour those next week sometime since we pretty much overworked ourselves.

Sucks having to toss block up on scaffolding.

Got everything done in 6 hours, I was in shock how quick these guys did 860+ block!

We got some rebar in place and just need to slug the wall with concrete the same time we pour that other wall. I'm shot and sun burnt so I'm down for the count for today!!! One less stress off my back now, all of these guys are awesome and I'm so thankful for all of their help. Good to know alot of people in trades, I think I have every aspect covered by somebody.
                            Nick Smithberg
                            www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Instant progress, you deserve a rest after that.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Made some more progress yesterday and got my retaining wall poured. It's been ridiculously hot in our area so luckily it only took a couple hours to finish setting up and pour. Supposed to slug the block wall next week and the materials for the building should also be here. Here are a few pics of the poured wall.

Last edited by BOSSMAN; June 29, 2012, 05:57 AM.
                                Nick Smithberg
                                www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Working...
                                X