Snakes in junkyards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakes in junkyards

I made a deal with a local junkyard, which has been closed for years, to pull some cars (about 20) and break them up for parts. This place has been there since there has been cars, and there is lots of interesting stuff there. We will be pulling 3 Studebakers, half a dozen Desotos, 2 with hemi engines, a few Mopars, some '30s Fords, a 63 Lemans Convertible, and a few others. The thing is, I don't like snakes and there is lots of them here. My buddy is okay with them, but you should see him around bees, it's hilarious. We have 2 kinds of poisonous snakes here, including rattlers. Anybody else deal with this when going into yards in your area?

Re: Snakes in junkyards

Wear boots and blue jeans. A rubber band around the cuff of the boots wouldn't hurt either.

Bring a weed eater with you, and buzz around the perimeter of the cars before you start hooking them up. It'll give you an easier work environment, and probably convince the snakes to move on.

Other than that, I'll tell you what I tell my son: Men don't panic. There's zero reason to let a fear or animals or insects affect anything you do.

-Brad

Comment

Well, personally, nothing wrong with being aware of your surroundings. Some types of spiders, also can be bad news.
      I would second the weed eater deal...if nothing else, if you have to hook them with a chain and drag them a bit to load up, pull them into a clear area, and if there happens to be a water hose avaialble, some times that was the safe bet for trunks full of parts.
      Seen a snake in the back of a Torino once, thing was hiding in the trunk, under the trim for the drop off area behind the rear tire...spooked me at first but that thing just wanted to get away from me, so I let it be.

Had a mitsubishi I had to back half one time at a shop i used to work at, went to pull the seat, and like 35 field mice jumped out at me when I removed the back seat...I was screaming like a damn sissy girl according to the guys and hopping around because one got up my pants leg for like 5 seconds and shot back out...got so much hell from the whole shop over that...
      Andrew
      1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
      2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Im with ya on the "dont like snakes thing"
        I would say, leave the cars!
        or get someone else to go get them! ;D

When I see a snake there are 2 movements that I make
        A: a bowel movement
        B: a physical movement

shit & run !!!!

Comment

Take some good pics of the Desoto's and Mopars while you're dodging the snakes will you? :D
          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Ever hear of a shot gun

Comment

I don't know where you are from, but here in MN snakes and bees aren't real active in the winter, so that's when I do my salvage yard forays.

Comment

Snakes don't bother me.... I catch and kill them all the time around my yard. ( I live by a creek, so there's plenty)

It's the bees and wasps that get me riled up, I hate them.... Weed eater sound like a good plan, too.

Ax

Comment

Hey VT, forgot to ask, if you happene to have any 1972 or 1973 Torinos, let me know man...especially the 1972 Gran Torino sport if there happens to be one there.
                  Andrew
                  1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                  2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

bring a can of hairspray and a lighter......chad knows how its done

Comment

I'm going to get lots of pics of the stuff we're not taking. The plan is to eventually pull most of the stuff out of there and parts it out. The alternative is to let the scrap guys take it all, or I wouldn't bother with some of it. There is a 61 Mercury Colony Park Wagon with power windows, A/C, wood grain trim, black with red interior, FE 4v powered, a 35 Ford 2 door slantback, a 61? Chrysler 300, a few 49-51 Mercurys, 2 65 Coronet 2 dr post cars, 1 65 Coronet Wagon, about 6 39-41 Plymouths, a ton of early '50s Chevy stuff, a 63 Grand Prix Convertible, about 6 63-64 Impala Converts, and tons of Ramblers and old trucks and doodle bugs. One thing I'll have to pick up is an old self propelled walk behind snow plow blade. That thing is sweet!

Snakes be damned, I'm going in!

Comment

Bring a shovel, they work good for beheading rattlers...

If you are properly dressed, and it's a cold day, you should not have any problem with snakes.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Joes66chevy
                          bring a can of hairspray and a lighter......chad knows how its done
                          How will lighting your hand on fire help with the snakes? Are they afraid of flaming hands?

;D

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

After you've finished scaring all the snakes away,call me and I'll come carry some of your loot away for you! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                              ... a 61? Chrysler 300,
                              A '61 Chrysler 300 will be a letter car, the letter "G" for this year (and will have fins aswell). Lettercars are always valuable.
                              The '62 model 300 (no fins) 'can' be a lettercar ("H"), but is most likely a plain "300-model" usually. The first year of the regular 300-series for Chryslers.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X