Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another short story about driver-less cars and the progress they r making.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another short story about driver-less cars and the progress they r making.

A lot of folks in the car industry are claiming that within 8 or 10 yrs, we will have a large percentage of traffic being driver-less cars. Can technology march ahead that quickly? How will we figure out how to street race a bot-car? could it be done? or should we just go along and drink the Kool-Aid with the rest of society....
    Mike in Southwest Ohio

I'm not a conformist.

Seriously though, a few months ago Ford held a demonstration here that dealt with this future problem. They (manufacturers) get their advertising people together to put a spin on this that most sheeple will willingly follow/swallow. With all the on-board gadgetry in new cars one doesn't really have to know how to drive. I learned in the early 80s...before back up cameras, GPS, blue-tooth, voice-activation, and all the other crap that DISTRACTS new/young/idiot drivers and imo causes more wrecks.

My dad bought a new Yukon in 2004, came with OnStar, GPS navigation, backup camera (that shows the picture on the dash as if you were to turn your head around...MUCHO confusing...for someone that learned to look over-shoulder/through mirrors)...he almost wrecked (with me & my family in it) trying to demonstrate how to use the navigation and other geegas.

Some new Fords already come with parallel parking assist. If you don't have to have the skill to drive it, why be issued a license to drive at all?

newbie s'stfu now
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

driverless.

that is silly.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
        http://news.discovery.com/autos/driv...rs-120611.html

A lot of folks in the car industry are claiming that within 8 or 10 yrs, we will have a large percentage of traffic being driver-less cars.
        Mike, I've said until my face turns blue, a lot of the cars on the highway are already driverless. All it takes is a cell phone, and that car is steering itself...

Shut up peewee. That's beating a horse. No no no, let's not go there. No, I'm sorry. No, let's not do that. Done too many times. No, I don't want to.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          Mike, I've said until my face turns blue, a lot of the cars on the highway are already driverless. All it takes is a cell phone, and that car is steering itself...

No need to shut up PW.. i got your point. But this technology will enable those folks talkin' on their cell phones to not be crashin' into me... and they are not drivers...they don't like to drive and they will 'over run' the rest of us who do enjoy the drive... The sheeple will will force all of us to 'ride the bus'. it ain't right. and i got no clue as to how to delay or stop it...

Maybe its just evolution. i just don't wanna have someone force me to drink the Kool-Aid.
          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

A "hot rod" in the future may be a car that some crazy guy in his home shop has bypassed the self-driver and made it so that a human actually has to operate the vehicle! Who knows WHAT that could lead to.

The sad thing is that far too many folks these days see driving as an PITA that interferes with their texting/phone call/makeup application. So the car companies are forced to deal with this reality if they want to sell cars. 'Tain't right but that seems to be the situation these days. I'm keeping my self-operated vehicles, thank you.

Dan

Comment

The article briefly touched upon weather issues. That'll be the tough one, especially snow. When all visual road references (like painted lines) are masked and traction wildly variable.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I think they are investigating precision radar systems that can id the edge of the road right through a foot deep snow fall... and algorithms that can id the slope of a road whether it is paved or not to determine an 'edge'. and there is traction control now that is incredibly sophisticated. the power of the computer will only increase.

Lets say , in 5 yrs or so, sheeple have the choice of buying a car that can drive itself... will they? is that a desirable option, or will they be scared of the technology, and avoid the option? and if they find it attractive, how big of a selling point will it be? will it take off like lightning, and force the automakers to include it in all of their offerings in order to make the sale.....? i'm torn, i dunno.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I'd buy a kit to convert my car if they make one. Sign me up! Radar is expensive, these ones use sound waves, which I don't think pass through stuff like snow.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm all for removing as much incompetent clowns off the roads as possible.
                    But as long as there are people driving themselves on the roads there will be accidents.
                    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
                    X