Ford Contour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Contour

Anyone have any experience with these? Been thinking about getting one for my wife as her first car.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Ford Contour

Transmissions cost more than what the car is worth usually.

Thieves like the catalytic converters.

Comment

Electrical issues, sometimes trans. issues as mentioned. Front wheel bearings, cat. converters if it's a V6. Too bad, they are nice driving little cars.

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I owned a 1996 with the 2.5L 6 cylinder and automatic. Not as peppy as you would expect for a 6 cylinder -- the 4 makes more TQ and has less horsepower, probably better mileage too. The drivetrain was dead reliable, no issues in the 6 years we owned it.

Watch outs . . .

Shifters for automatic transmissions. They suck and the plastic sliding cover jams up and causes all sorts of issues. You won't find a new one in a salvage yard either -- about $300 from Ford to replace.

There was a recall on the ignition switch and/or dash wiring. Don't remember the details, just make sure that any recalls have been done on the car. The heater blower switch went out on ours, had something to do with the recall.

The in dash CD player went out on ours. Had some weird intermittent problem. I found a replacement cassette deck in the bone yard, no issues after that. (the wiring is the same, just plug and play)

Other than that it seemed like a pretty good / reliable car. Very similar to the Ford Probe. Sold it in 2002 and bought a Chevy Venture (man was that a mistake)

Comment

You don't like your wife do you......... Stay away from those things like the plague

Seriously, I know individual experiences vary, but I work at a dealer, and I can tell you from many peoples experiences, stay away from those things.

Comment

She's never had a drivers liscence and in India all the cars are sticks and she is now demanding an automatic. I just want to get her something that is decently interesting and definately disposable in terms of not getting too worried if she bumps a pole or a parking curb or the like. I'm really thinking its going to be a mid 90's Camry or Accord.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I had a friend with one, and he was plagued with intake leaks and electrical problems. If you are looking for a used, affordabl car and want it to be reliable - an import is going to be your best choice by far. Start with Honda, then Toyota, or a Kia/Hyundai that's 2002 or later IMO. Can't beat the imports for a reliable daily driver, fuel economy, etc.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

A higher mileage Accord is probably the best choice. They hold up well and can be found in above average condition because they get looked over by the tuner crowd in favor of the Civic.

Comment

Do not by any means purchase this vehicle. They have many many extensive electrical problem and transmission failures(auto). I work at the ford dealer in the parts dept. Every vehicle above 70k mile need a completly new engine wiring harness at a cost of over 1,000.00 plus labor. The sheathing on the wires literally falls off a causes shorts all through the electrical system causing multiple drivablity problems and accessory failures. Look at investing your money in another vehicle and save yourself the nightmare of owning a used Contour.

DONT BUY THAT PIECE OF JUNK

mike

Comment

Originally posted by miketblsr
                    Do not by any means purchase this vehicle.
                    mike

FINALLY

We've found the one freaking car someone on this site will not talk another member into buying.

Everyone drink!

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

i had a 98 v6 with manual trans. drove it for 6 years and put 122,000 miles on it. it was peppy, drove nice and had a comfortable interior (except seats on long trips, sucked). only problems i had was an alternator and power steering pump and water pump go bad. each less than $300 to replace.
                      i replaced it with an Escape with v6 and auto. haven't had a bit of trouble and love this stupid little thing. i have 75,000 miles on it.
                      Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                        She's never had a drivers liscence and in India all the cars are sticks and she is now demanding an automatic. I just want to get her something that is decently interesting and definately disposable in terms of not getting too worried if she bumps a pole or a parking curb or the like. I'm really thinking its going to be a mid 90's Camry or Accord.

i think first thing i would do is get that demanding crap straight...let her know that YOU ARE KING OF THE CASTLE..............when shes not home
                        Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

I would stay away from imports -parts are too expensive and people will think you a communist if you drive one - oh yeah - the contour everybody is warning you about is MAZDA powered
                          cavaliers and grand ams are underpriced and good little cars

Comment

my brother in law gave my wife a contour - didn't put plates on it yet and I already am into it for a fuel pump and a battery

Comment

Mazda powered, but its the transmission and wiring harness that goes to crap in them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X