2 thumbs up for HF brake caliper tool kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 thumbs up for HF brake caliper tool kit

I had to do the brakes on the back of my 06 Freestar. It has those calipers that you have to rotate the piston while pressing them in...a PIA. I made my own tool when I had an old Sable that had resr discs. These were going to be harder. So I took a trip to my local HF and bought this for $40

I must say it worked very well and made the job way easy and quick! And it's not that cheap chinese crap either...it's tiawanese crap but crap!
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

It's interesting the Tiawanese crap is not "The Good Stuff". When I was a kid, "Japanese" was laughable and is not "The Excellent Stuff". I'll still take made in the USA when I can find and afford it.

That said, I have quite a bit of the HF stuff as they have a store here in Wilmington and are open Sundays (why is it always Sunday when you find that you need a Gizmo removal tool and nothing else will do?). Besides, the tool section at the local Sears sucks so I'm kinda stuck. That said, most of the HF stuff seems to work pretty well.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      It's interesting the Tiawanese crap is not "The Good Stuff". When I was a kid, "Japanese" was laughable and is not "The Excellent Stuff". I'll still take made in the USA when I can find and afford it.

That said, I have quite a bit of the HF stuff as they have a store here in Wilmington and are open Sundays (why is it always Sunday when you find that you need a Gizmo removal tool and nothing else will do?). Besides, the tool section at the local Sears sucks so I'm kinda stuck. That said, most of the HF stuff seems to work pretty well.

Dan
      I still have an air powered 90 degree die grinder that I bought 23 years ago from HF when I first started working as an Auto Tech and it still runs just as good as it did when I bought it.......
      Last edited by TC; June 20, 2012, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Funny - I just did the rear brakes on a friends 06 mazda6 (Ford Fusion chassis) and needed one of those - I got away with a flat screw driver of just the right size to fit the notch when held at just the right angle.

Did you have any problems with the dust boot wanting to twist with the piston? I had to spray a little penetrating oil on it and move it back and forth a bit to get the boot let go of the piston and allow it to rotate.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I did with one. I was a little enthusiastic on the first one and really didn't give it much thought. I did wad it up a little bit but I think it's fine. On the second I was a little more mindful and gave the boot a shot of WD40.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
          X