No announcement yet.

Brand Loyalty ???? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First car was an Oldsmobile, then I bought a new Nissan pickup because a buddy had one and I liked it. Since then, everything else (except a beater D50) has been a GM product, mostly Chevy.

There are a few old cars by other manufacturers that have some appeal to me, but honestly not many and not enough appeal to want to own one. A mustang fastback from the 60's is one that I wouldn't mind owning some day. I do, however, appreciate any brand of car or truck that looks nice and is well done when I'm at a car show.

Nascar... I do lose some interest if my driver goes out of the race, but I have a few other drivers that I also root for, and I base my support on the drivers personalities and/or abilities rather than what they drive.

Comment

yes

Comment

I ask because I genuinely love cars and bikes of all brands.... and while I find some trends GAY as hell... I don't fault the car for the current owners poor taste....it's just another routine, following the trend things.... Like Pro Street cars of yesteryear that didn't perform... Gay... Parking lot poofters...

But most cars can be fixed no matter who owned them.... same goes for bikes.... ( I know where to find a stock of quiet pipes )....

As for Nascar.... i'm not as bad as I used to be.... but I follow it... cause it's interesting.... and Racing is Racing.... I'd root for a turtle if it looked faster then the other turtles around it....

Comment

I like anything that has a motor or wheels, basically anything that can scare the crap out of you. Hmmm Marriage doesn't have either.

I grew up with Alfa's, MG's, Porsche's, which were more racecar then street car that mom and dad drove. We didn't get our first american car till mid 70's. The 77 impala with the 305 and a horrid trans, which was swapped for a 454 with a TH400 to help pull the family boat. My uncles had firebirds, my grandfather worked for buick and every car at his house had a 455 from the wildcat to the regal. When he retired they gave him a early 80's regal and oh shucks I wish a GN, but he fixed the lowly V6 with a 455 swap from the wildcat. He drove that car till died at 90 on his 3rd bypass just after checking himself out of the hospital and driving from Indy to Florida in one night.

My laundry list of the beginning to present
          Age 14 - Austin Ford Sedan which never ran but was fun to work on
          Age 15-16 Fiat 124 Spyder - Which was sent to the junkyard do to dangerous rust
          Age 16-18 AMC Javelin 304/AT swapped to 401/muncie 4 speed
          Age 18 - No car do to street racing and Jail, yes my mom drove me and my last date in high school to the prom.
          Age 19-20 VW GTI with unknown shot of nitrous which led to a mechanic telling my father he has never seen an engine twisted.
          Age 20.5 Oldsmobile Ciera which was killed by a large deer at 4 am on I-70
          Age 21-25 My 1st new car a Pontiac LeMans and no not the cool ones, a 4 cyl version of the Opel Astra which was killed by a drunk driver in brooklyn,NY
          Age 25-29 1966 Impala SS 396 convertible with a glide
          Age 26-28 1985 Ford Econoline 4x4 ex NYPD tactical van with concrete bumpers
          Age 28-30 1986 Mustang SVO I bought for $500, somebody disassembled for restoration and didn't put it back together. Which I did in about a month. Very quick when you wire the waste gate shut.
          Age 30-38 My seconded new car 1995 Ford Mustang GTs Strip down version.
          Age 34-38 1988 Mustang GT for free with a broken balljoint, which I fixed in the street in front of the guys house with a used a-arm in the snow for $30 and drove home. Dude was peeed offf!
          Age 38-40 2002 Camaro SS which I owned during my tenure as VP of mustang club of indy, which was not very well recieved.
          Age 40-44 2003 SVT Focus Probably one of the most fun and could carry a complete 5.0 longblock in the trunk.
          Age 44 present 2001 SVT Cobra w/ eaton swap and a 1989 Mustang GT w/ vortech
          Age 46 present 2001 Subaru Forestor

That SVO really sold me into mustangs, but the camaro SS was a blast. Best memorys were the Impala SS crusing manhatten at night with the top down.

Dream car Porsche 930 Turbo in Black. Loved that car ever since I saw Chuck Norris in Good guys wear Black

Comment

I'm a Ford guy but there are some Chevy's and Pontiacs that I lust after.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk View Post
              I'd root for a turtle if it looked faster then the other turtles around it....
              I KNOW exactly what you mean! haha.

I like the variety of cars. To paraphrase something Squirrel has said, "It's nice other people like cars I don't want to own so I get to see them."
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Keith, I can't believe you coxed me into this thread..........

When I was a young buck (waaaayyyy back when) everyone thought I had a GM part number tatooed on my chest. But in reality I've always loved all makes when they had something interesting. You know, a '67 390 Ford Fairlane, or an '84 Vette. My tastes moved as I aged (and boy I've done plenty of that). I currently own a '04 Dodge Ram, an '89 Ford Expedition, & a '08 Cad CTS. Not to mention my Dodge powered race car.
                As far as Nascar (or any series) goes I have favorites but I like the underdogs if my guys not up front. Just this last weekend Kurt Busch was dogging 'ol Bowyer, and I can't stand that little whiner Kurt, but here he was, nippin at the heals of the big dog. How cool was that?
                Racing not unlike life, somethings get you up in arms and you say/do things you might not shulda done, but hey, what else you gonna tell the grand kids when you get old...........

How's that for telling it Keith?
                There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

My brand loyalty extends to all those that have never failed me.

Those brands that have... well they can eat toe-jam and die.
                  Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

As I get older, the more I like them all .... still not a big fan of imports for performance apps .... still seems wrong to me. I'm stuck with Chevy because they are the cheapest, parts will always be available and I could never get outta my bucket what I'd need to get into anything else.

And I do believe in fast fords ..... just never seen one!.....HA!
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Nope, not brand loyal at all!!

I will never, for any reason, drive a Chevy down a dragstrip. Just some lines a man doesn't cross...

Comment

I'll tell you I'm a Chevy guy, but that said, I won't kick anything sexy out of bed for eating crackers. I drive a Ford, because I know the dumb shit my brother put a 300 six through and figure I'll never kill it if he only managed to kill one. Aside from that, a college buddy had an '03 GT with 4.10s and some other bolt ons that I absolutely fell in love with and stole the keys to every chance I got. A '67-'72 Chevy truck will break my neck when I turn to look at it. I like different, but am ok with anything really. They're like women, some people have to like the...uhhh less desirable ones so we can have the cool ones.
                        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

And on NASCAR-WWE brand loyalty, they lost me a long time ago.

Why?

I am a gearhead. I like everything about mechanical things, i.e., why one thing is faster than another, what makes more power, etc..

When every car is 99.9% the same according to the rules, and the sport promotes trailer-park drama over mechanical innovation, I quit watching.

So... I like F1, World Superbike, Baja 1000, WRC, Land Speed racing... all sports where mechanical innovation still has a role.

And NO, NASCAR EFI (much as I like EFI) doesn't count. It's the equivalent of putting a bicycle under the circus bear. Just a different trick to entertain the masses.
                          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                            Nope, not brand loyal at all!!

I will never, for any reason, drive a Chevy down a dragstrip. Just some lines a man doesn't cross...
                            Yeah, lots of people are scared of speed. We understand
                            STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                              And on NASCAR-WWE brand loyalty, they lost me a long time ago.

When every car is 99.9% the same according to the rules, and the sport promotes trailer-park drama over mechanical innovation, I quit watching.
                              ^^^^^
                              THIS!!!

I have owned Fords and GM cars, but my heart lies with Mopar.

You can't work on a Ford without cutting yourself (and their automatic transmissions suck major ass).

I never got into the GM thing because of the attitude of Trans Am, Camaro and Corvette owners.

Give me an old Dart with a slant six and I'll be happy. Hell, I'll trade you my Neon for one. (no 4-drs, thanks)

Ron
                              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

My Father and Grandfather both worked at Chevy dealers so I get my loyalty honest. If I didn't hate needles and pain I would have a bowtie tatoo. Still watch NASCAR and my Monte Carlo is black but a 3 on the door would be a bit much imo.
                                GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Working...
                                X