Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good are you at estimating Horsepower??.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty small cam to drop off the torque so soon, should be a kick ass street engine.

Comment

Dang........ I missed it by less than 9 hp.......... let me tune that puppy, I can get 15-20 more. Look at that A/F ratio....... 12.0 power left on the table.

They might as well run that dyno at Bonneville, look at the baro.!
      Last edited by Dynoroom; June 28, 2012, 10:08 PM.
      There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dynoroom View Post
        Dang........ I missed it by less than 9 hp.......... let me tune that puppy, I can get 15-20 more. Look at that A/F ratio....... 12.0 power left on the table.

They might as well run that dyno at Bonneville, look at the baro.!
        I wasn't to surprised that you hit so close, I just didn't want to let the cat out of the bag until he posted the dyno results......

And I didn't think the old Q-Jet did to bad on the AFR's....... Though I'm sure you could squeeze a few extra ponies out of it........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
          And I didn't think the old Q-Jet did to bad on the AFR's.......
          You think this based on what experience? the thing is drowning in fuel at the hit!!! See where it's dipping into the 10.x AFRs at the first half of the pull, but then has occasional spikes into the 12s? that's rich misfire showing up as brief lean spikes in the AFR data.

There may be a few HP at peak to gain, but whoever is tuning that thing is leaving a HUGE pile of torque and bottom end HP on the table.

I would definitely not call that pull a good street engine, that thing's running like total crap. Was this the first pull I hope? what about the last pull when that mess was cleaned up?
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I meant the nice flat torque curve would make a good street engine, not the tune it has. Its 500 ftlbs 3400 to 4300, I figure it should have lots more since its silly easy to get 500ftlbs from one of these. Running that rich makes sense as to why its off from what something with 270cfm heads should make. You can do that with stock heads. I didnt look too close at the AF, but the VE did seem a bit low to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
              I meant the nice flat torque curve would make a good street engine, not the tune it has. Its 500 ftlbs 3400 to 4300, I figure it should have lots more since its silly easy to get 500ftlbs from one of these. Running that rich makes sense as to why its off from what something with 270cfm heads should make. You can do that with stock heads. I didnt look too close at the AF, but the VE did seem a bit low to me.

I'm with you,

I won't guess just how much is being left on the table to a crap tuneup, if the ignition isn't sorted any better than the fuel who knows?

Based on my "small amount" of experience, some engines are very responsive to AFR, others don't seem to care much if it's in the 11s or 14s. But it's pretty obvious this one was misfiring through the pull because carbs have smooth delivery curves, not bouncing 2 AFR points in 500rpm.

But still, I'd bet there's 50-100 ft-lbs missing down low.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                I'm not sure how much elevation plays into this, but they are in the Denver area........ Dynoroom did say something about the Baro, but I don't know how much of an effect that has on things......

Comment

If it was set up to run around here, that would explain the rich condition. The elevation here is even lower than Nebraska, but Denver is up there. I dont think I have ever seen 25hg, that is low and slow. The guys who used to race with me in Kearney Ne that towed out from Denver would usually bring a different carb rather than try to change from Bandimere to 2500ft.

Comment

Working...
                  X