Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You to The Silver Buick - Randal Burns

Randal is The Man.

He showed up to our EMC 2012 dyno test and helped me out. His EFI skills are top notch, without his help we would not have been able to run any EFI system for our testing.

We started Saturday morning having problems, I ended up burning up 2 computers (and a laptop and a watch) before we figured out we had some kind of power supply problem. Instead of spend more time battling gremlins, Bob Holmes wisely called to test with an out-of-the-box dual plane manifold with one of ProMachine's "Out Of The Box" (my ass) carburetors. We also installed a conventional distributor using the in-house MSD-7AL and a set of wires that Gene Adams had brought down. Just In Case :-)

While testing on the carb setup was going well, Randal says "instead of sitting around waiting to hear how the carburetor is doing, why don't we build another megasquirt and wiring harness from absolute scratch" - I was burnt out but thinking about it, we could set up a batch-fire, fuel-only setup that only has a very basic number of circuits, with three EFI-savvy guys working on it, in probably 1-2 hours.

Randal and our buddy Stacy Dalzell gathered the sensors and parts. If I didn't mind doing a little soldering on an old megasquirt circuit board, these guys had everything we need. I figured we could make it in 90 minutes. It ended up taking more like 180 minutes, but, late in the afternoon Saturday, we had our intake sitting on a table, with the injectors pulsing at RPM, using a 12v battery as a power supply. It was working perfectly on the test stand, much like hooking a battery to a dead frog in Biology class. Thanks to Randal's sense of humor there were plenty of laughs during the rush build.

Randal, having completed MS1, MS2 and MS3 installations in his own cars - he'll tell you it's a hackjob, ha! - was well versed in exactly what we need for a simple system. My biggest concern was the CPU we hoped to use, it had been laying in the bottom of my tool box, looked like it was in water at some point, was rusty, had a number of bent pins... long story short, it worked all day no problems.

When we went to try it on Sunday morning, we had problems once again - the CPU was turning itself off, or resetting. We brought in our battery, but it did the same thing. Only after we disconnected the tach signal coming from the dyno's ignition box, and switched to use our existing 36-1 trigger wheel on the engine's balancer, and ran off a private battery, did our system operate normally. We then made pulls the rest of the day on that combo. We got tests in with two sets of heads, killed some headgaskets, ate some good food, etc.

Anyways, I wanted to thank Randal for all his help this weekend, we thrashed like crazy for 48 hours and still had a blast. Randal, you are definitely the man!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Way to go ya Hack!
    I knew that tag line was hooey! Just knew it!

Comment

I'm sorry your beloved calculator watch died in the name of horsepower.

That tall, lanky dude with a tiny bit of a lisp is an alright guy, ain't he?
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        I'm sorry your beloved calculator watch died in the name of horsepower.

That tall, lanky dude with a tiny bit of a lisp is an alright guy, ain't he?
        Randal's one hell of a Cool Cat in my book!!!!!
        Last edited by TC; June 27, 2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Randall has helped me too, a very cool guy to have around.
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

HAd the pleasure of hanging with Randal a few years back at SEMA, lots of fun...good guy. Love ot hear stories like this.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Thanks Scott. It might not end up pretty but I can get it to work The trick is not to overly stress and think the problem through. We all have bad days though and it definitely was looking like Scott's was pretty much pegged at one of the worse for him. We were definitely on to something like plan W by the end of the weekend, but I had a good time, heard a Hemi roaring at 6000 rpm on EFI and carb and learned plenty.

To quote Van Wilder, 'worrying is a lot like sitting in a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesn't accomplish a whole lot'
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Randal Burns, Geolectrician
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Great guy but seems to have rocks in his head - at least part of the time.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Great team work - it's nice to celebrate the epic win of internet born comraderie. There are several examples on this site - more proof it's the best place on the net for car junkies.

Great work Randal - I'll have both you and Scott on speed dial when I dive into the EFI pool head first.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Nothing surprising here. Except that Scott didn't have his act together....

But the "making things work when stuff goes wrong" end of it is normal for these guys.
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Nothing worth it is ever easy.

Randle, I might sand bag the track, but you sand bag everyone else on life.
                        You remind me of me at your age, everyone else talked and I just went and did it.

Half of life is just showing up, the rest works its way out. If you never show up you never get to have the Great Adventures.
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

It's not so much that Scott didn't have his act together (because we had a normal number of spare parts), but that a problem cropped up even the MS board designers/repair'ers hadn't seen before and we killed things in the troubleshooting stage without realizing it.

It'll be very interesting to see what the final autopsy of the boards come out as. Current theory is the expansion board has an issue (this board has been on other cars, as recently as the weekend before) and the expansion board is toasting the MS processor. We have no visual reason to suspect the expansion board, but it was the only common part between the two toasted processors (never hooked the second processor up to the dyno power supply) and the MS 1 worked just fine on the main 3.0 board. Completely left field problem with ridiculously low odds of happening (or so I think, pending autopsy reports).
                          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 28, 2012, 10:38 AM.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            Nothing surprising here. Except that Scott didn't have his act together....
                            This is 100% correct!!!!

This was the first trip where I didn't do a lot of preparation because "this MS3x setup has been working for three years for us, I got plenty of spare parts, no need to build a second box just in case, etc."

I was TOTALLY lazy before this trip and it bit me in the ass, hardcore. I am usually SO much more prepared than this, and I learned my lesson in a big way.

That was a totally accurate statement. The only thing that saved me from my lazy lack of preparation, was our ability to regroup and use what good pieces we DIDN'T fry, to put together a simple system to get the job done, which it did. It wasn't pretty, but we at least got to run the injector all day Sunday.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Will the two of you quit being so damn humble!
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X