They're still out there in the strangest locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're still out there in the strangest locations

Barn finds that is if you don't mind me using the term. When I go to work in the morning I like to take a leisurely drive. I always go through the town I grew up in. So last week I went down a side street in an older section of tonwn. There's an old Victorian style home for sale that has an old garage which is 2 car, tall with an attic and hip roof. Piles of garbage at the curb in cardboard boxes from the 60's. So Tuesday I pass it again except the garage doors are open to expose a grungy 50's car. I can't tell exactly what it is because there is a sheet of plywood leaning across the front grill. I see the top of the RR fender and windshield. Maybe an early 50's Olds or Plymouth. Today I went back at lunchtime. There's a guy in his twenties at the house. So I ask him if I can look at it. He's very friendly and says sure. He goes on to say it was his grandfather's car and has been there since probably the 50's. He tells me it's an Olds Honda. Right away I knw it's a "Holiday" More specifiaclly a 56, 4 door Olds Holiday. Last inspection sticker was from 1978. He didn't know how much his father wants for it, no problem I really have no business looking for anything anyway. But I am going back and I'll try to get some pictures. There is some rust but no where near what I thought there would be. Actually it's not too bad body wise but boy is it filthy! Interior looked pretty good from what I could see through the dirty windows.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

sometimes you have to follow your gut and check things out like that - glad this one wasn't a wild goose chase... sounds cool - hope they allow you to take pictures, and it finds a good new home.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Cool! Can't wait to see photos.

Comment

I know a guy in PA who NEEDS a mid-50's Olds. His old one got totaled.

Dan

Comment

I was able to stop by the house and meet the owners. They were very hospitable and gracious to allow me to take some pictures. So here they are.

Oh yeah, they swear admitmetly that it only has 13,288 miles! I have to say the brake pedal pad and gas pedal hardly had any wear and the exhaust manifolds looked very, very good almost like fresh castings and the over all condition of the engine looked good. They have a clean NJ title as well as all the paper work, manual for the car as well.
          Last edited by Huskinhano; June 30, 2012, 07:50 AM.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

F'n awsum, give it a bath and put some tires on and take it for a drive
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Thats really cool... I wonder how it'll look all cleaned up?

Comment

That's exactly what I would do!
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

hope the car gets saved, hate to hear that it got scraped or just "hauled off"
                  Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I'm having enough trouble working on mine and the wife's with out starting something else or I would grab it.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

OK, the BS challenge. Who's going to resue this poor car?
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

hate to say it ,but if it was close to tulsa id grab it....that car needs to be safed,

Comment

I sure would come and save it, but I have so many to do already this one would never get done. Would be a shameful pity to let it go to scrap.

Comment

I will ask around if anyone might be interested. How much ?

Comment

Post up the price. I don't know of anyone that's looking for something like that right now, but you never know. I'm assuming it's still in Jersey?
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X