Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best affordable parts haulers/dailies

All-
    Im wanting to get more serious about turning the mustang into a real competitor, but of course, that will require it to be out of action as I learn to upgrade and swap parts, make changes, fail, and then try again. That said, Im considering a decent, inexpensive pickup as a good way to balance DD duties with usability and practicality. I'm sure some of y'all have plenty of similar vehicles- any recommendations?
    TIA!
    Originally posted by A/Fuel
    I have a set of super pants, they work great!

i use a 98 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy ex cab short bed... has a 454 480LE 4:10 gears, the beds big enough for most things.it has the power to pull a car trailer at any speed ,4x4 for when the weathers bad,it has a winch on the front to get dead cars on the trailer,
    bad: it wont pass a gas station "10 mpg" ,my daughter(13 yo) has out grown the back seat, at 180000 miles its showing its age,,,,

Comment

the most common vehicle in america gets its own thread.

for fullsize beater, the wobbly 4.3 is out there cheap. I won't ever do one as an only vehicle, but it is an option.

stick shift.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Just picked up an 85 Chevy C10, 305, rwd, 8 foot bed. Biggest downfall so far is no overdrive, I get about 11 mpg on average. Other than that I'm really starting to like this truck, first one I've ever owned. It's not fast, no frills, but it does exactly what I bought it for.
        Last edited by tedly; July 1, 2012, 11:08 AM.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

2wd or 4wd, DD parts hauler or parts hauler tow vehicle, seating for 6 or seating for 3...there are good trucks out there for fair prices, depends on if your looking for old or new, more doors and so on....I know there are nay sayers but I have had excellent luck with the 2nd generation dodge rams...dead nuts reliable, will tow what you need to tow, I have had 2 second gens and one 3rd...love them all....there are some things to look for thos...weak links if you will...the trans can be a little weak and the front ends get wobbly when folks let the track bar wear out...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I think you should buy my truck. About to relist it for $3500 obo

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

I love my Dodge/Cummins Diesel. It's an '02 extra cab/short bed, auto trans 2WD. I bought it a few months ago for $8400 with 167K miles (just broken in). Runs like a champ and will haul ANYTHING. I've put quite a bit into it but mostly it was stuff I did because I wanted to, not because I needed to. People talk about the interior breaking up but really it's just the dash (bad plastic) and there are a couple of fixes ranging from $65 (Dashmat) to $285 (replacement skin from Coverlet (I think)). My seats are still excellent, door panels are fine, etc. I'm getting 17ish MPG around town and over 22 on the highway and that was before the tuner which is supposed to increase mileage even more.

Depending on what you want to spend I'd recommend a Dodge like mine. Russell's truck is nice if that falls into your price range and you can trust him to give you the straight story. Good guy and a straight shooter. The truck should work great for you as long as you're not hauling the car trailer over mountains.

Dan

Comment

Parts hauler, car trailer yanker, driver for when the others are broke? I like 2wd short box half tons. Step or fleet, doesnt matter. Dont need 4x4 unless you have lots of snow or mud, and if it never leaves pavement in a state that doesnt get more than 2' of snow at a shot, it isnt needed. Less weight, less stuff spinning under the truck, less stuff to repair, so its cheaper on gas and parts. If you arent pulling a heavy trailer or hauling lots of stuff, no need for a 3/4 ton or larger. The size of your truck does not reflect the size of your trouser snake or manhood.

I need to get the 88 C1500 going good, the 4.3 sucks gas so its getting the vortec 400. Want to stuff an LSx in the 76 C10, but that is a ways down the road yet. That would be a good plan, find an old cheap truck and stuff a new engine and trans in it to get the mileage and power benefit.

If you want a 3/4 ton gas hog I can put the 454 back in the 86 C30, paint it and make it nice. It got about 4mpg stock with 4.10 gears. No power above 3500 rpm either.

Comment

my 91 chevy fullsize is a old county work truck, 305, 700R4, 10 bolt rear end. Ive used it a few times to tow a trailer with a vehicle on it. Its a lil light on power on the get up and go but once its going theres no issues rolling at posted speeds. I would like to upgrade to a 14 bolt with a 9.5 ring gear. The 8 foot bed is a huge plus with the extra wheel base for stability in towing and hauling what you need to

on a side note, what ever trailer you get, make sure you got trailer brakes, thats a HUGE plus in towing
                  Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Tow with 90 Suburban with a 350/700r4 when I have to.. It is a half ton with 3/4t rear leaf packs..power is good.. Trailer brakes a must! 15 mpg empty. Sways rather easily..
                    Also use 03 powerstroke dualie/crew cab for most trips.. Brakes on trailer not required..17 mpg
                    For most HEAVY scrap hauls, I use a one ton flatbed with a 350/manual. Trailer brakes not needed except if way over legal load limits..10mpg loaded/empty.

Suburban is my DD....
                    Last edited by Deaf Bob; July 1, 2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

X2 on the trailer brakes! I don't know if they even sell tandem axle trailers w/o at least 1 axle brakes. BTW - the NC law says you need 2 axle brakes if the trailer is a tandem - but no one is looking. Probably need to check your local statutes. Mine has brakes on one axle but it was bought in MI and carries a MI permanent plate so I figure if I ever do get stopped I have an excuse. If I was hauling a bulldozer I guess I'd get a trailer w/more brake power but all seems fine for anything I've hauled on it.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; July 1, 2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

2 car trailers. One commercial built..brakes on one axle
                        Other "homebuilt" cut brake wires off also one axle.. Was an old 6 lug travel trailer
                        Guess it is state/state.. Whatever you do.. Do not muddle the orig. Tag...

Comment

My home built trailer is getting brakes, just to help the truck out. It has never swayed even with a 1 ton dually on it, not even on the hills between South Carolina and northern Michigan. We build good trailers, but we didnt have the stuff to do brakes when we built it over 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                            If you want a 3/4 ton gas hog I can put the 454 back in the 86 C30, paint it and make it nice. It got about 4mpg stock with 4.10 gears. No power above 3500 rpm either.
                            I guess you don't have the magic touch with chevys? My 57 one ton with a 73 454 and granny 4 speed gets 11 unless I'm towing something heavy, then it gets 10. When I had this engine in the 66 suburban (half ton) with milder gearing it did 13-14 on the highway.

If you have a trailer and will haul some weight, then a 3/4 or bigger is nice. If not, a half ton would be fine. The newer trucks get pretty good mileage as long as the engine isn't too big, and you don't have monster tires, etc. Chevys seem to do a bit getter on gas than Dodges. Diesel is not really worth it unless you plan on hauling a lot, there's a pretty stiff up front cost to get into a diesel.
                            Last edited by squirrel; July 1, 2012, 05:10 PM.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I added an "rv-2" cam by Blue Racer, performer intake with Holley 600 and headers on the 350 and got 16-18 empty and 12 loaded with the one ton... I would assume close with a BBC set up the same way...
                              The Ford powerstroke with auto on big hills, if I keep it light on the throttle and above 60 mph..it will not downshift and scream.. But it does pull a load damn good.

Comment

Working...
                              X