Best affordable parts haulers/dailies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    I guess you don't have the magic touch with chevys? My 57 one ton with a 73 454 and granny 4 speed gets 11 unless I'm towing something heavy, then it gets 10. When I had this engine in the 66 suburban (half ton) with milder gearing it did 13-14 on the highway.

If you have a trailer and will haul some weight, then a 3/4 or bigger is nice. If not, a half ton would be fine. The newer trucks get pretty good mileage as long as the engine isn't too big, and you don't have monster tires, etc. Chevys seem to do a bit getter on gas than Dodges. Diesel is not really worth it unless you plan on hauling a lot, there's a pretty stiff up front cost to get into a diesel.
    Nah, just bought it, drove it home, then used it to go pick up an F150 with a rusted frame. I have been thinking about doing some stuff to the rat since its in my C10, but why spend the cash if an LS will get better mileage, have the same or more power, and cost about the same as improving the smogger 454? Besides, I am busy with other projects, and the truck is back burner for the moment.

Comment

Thanks for all the info! The Dodges do interest me- but even more than that, good call on the trailer brakes!
      Which raises another question- based on the responses so far, I doubt its necessary, but are "towing packages" essential for towing? Ideally, I'd like to get something that is a short box, regular cab. 2wd is probably better for gas, but if I get stationed in a colder clime (entirely possible in my line of work) 4wd might not be a bad idea. I guess I call it a wash.
      Anyway, towing packages- what say you?
      If I get a towing rig soon enough, I'll be throwing rods at the track in no time!
      Originally posted by A/Fuel
      I have a set of super pants, they work great!

Comment

My answer depends on what part of the country you live in.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I have the exact setup, 2wd, sbrc chevy. Avoid the gov-loc, its weak and unpredictable. Other than that. Lowering the rear did hurt the towing ability when doing big loads, brakes and power are fine.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Depends what's in the towing package. Wiring, oil cooler, heavy duty radiator, steeper gears, larger engines, etc are all nice for towing.

If you plan on towing often, you probably want a 3/4 ton.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Simply buy a diesel, 10 mpg? I get 13 mpg with my camper and towing a trailer with the diesel. 18 city/20 highway without....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It all comes down to how often and how much your gonna tow. I tow more with my 1/2ton than a lot of the diesels around here. But someone like my dad would be crazy to get anything thing less than a one ton.
                Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Dodge / 390hp hemi / warranty / new everything for 20k is very tempting. If I didn't have multiple trucks already, I'd consider looking into it.

If money were no object, a new King Ranch 4x4 dually condominium cab, but I'm known to be Ford biased.
                  Last edited by Beagle; July 2, 2012, 06:28 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

To answer your towing package question:

Both my old Dakota and the Ram were/are so equipped. They each had/have serious trans coolers, lower rear gears, hitch, 7 pin connectors, and brake controller wiring under the dash (just plug the controller in). You probably could add all that stuff but it's nice to have. I'd look for the package if you can. No clue on Ford & Chevy but I'll guess they are similar.

Dan

Comment

Don't mean to dredge up an ancient thread, but thanks again for the replies. Found a few listings on the GSA daytona auction site, including a cummins dodge, and more than a few fords, so that may be what I do. Seems like the mileage isnt bad on them, and I think a GSA auction would be pretty decent. The GSAs we use at work are maintained pretty well, so I dont think I need to worry...
                      Originally posted by A/Fuel
                      I have a set of super pants, they work great!

Comment

Working...
                      X