Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back Pain, whose got it...what do you do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Pain, whose got it...what do you do.

All righty, we've damn near talked about everything under the sun but I got to talk to some folks who deal with this crap.

Its been 6 years, the last 2 have been pretty pain free but it seems I have blown another disk and the pain is so intense that it takes my breath away.

Been to the doc's...I know what they tell me to do...

But I am wondering...I know you guys are all mechanics, workers and the like and I know many suffer from some sort of back pain...

So what do you do to relieve it? Anything? Maybe there is something out there I aint tried yet....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Have you tried a chiropractor?

I go to one as often as I can.........keep things lined up.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Stretching seems to keep my lower back pain at bay. I know it looks/sounds stupid to stretch before climbing all over a car, but it seems to help me. I also stretch at night to help me sleep.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Yeah I;ve done that...didnt help...made it worse actually
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Sit ups, crunches to help build core to support the back. Low dose muscle relaxer when it gets to unbearable and anti inflammatory daily .... other than that ..... stretch everyday and hot tub to relax the muscles.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Hydrocodones, lots of rest, and not overexerting myself between episodes.
            Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Had pain running down my leg and lower back pain. In 2007 I had micro lumbar decompression surgery then got a desk job.
              GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

I know what works..walk in the woods..up in the mountains,and long walks.

And stop pretending you are stronger than superman..let the younger boys stretch that back

Comment

I've been doing situps and crunches for 6 months and my back feels alot better....that and losing some weight helped too.Been stretching also when i get out of bed and i never thought i could touch my toes again
                  Last edited by Runner1972; July 2, 2012, 07:22 AM.
                  "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Degenerative disc disease=not much I can do. Stretch, core and leg exercises, heat/cold treatment, and realizing I can't do it all anymore.
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

had an IDET in Feb of 08, but the disk seems to have shifted right...not the pain is so bad I could curl up in a ball and cry.

I have found some relief from stretching, none from chiro and none from pain meds...nerves are funny, they dont seem to care about medication....will probably have to get another IDET but that will be months away.

Anyone tried those foam rollers?

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
                        Degenerative disc disease=not much I can do. Stretch, core and leg exercises, heat/cold treatment, and realizing I can't do it all anymore.
                        same boat...not so bad when they shrink, its when they decide to bulge or herniate thats the bitch.

Comment

I like Ibuprofen, pain killer and anti-inflammatory..... I used to never complain about my back until about 6 months ago when my lower back started hurting. My wife says it's my Sciatic Nerve, all I know is I was living on Ibuprofen for a few days......... And now it seems like once or twice a month it acts up......

Comment

Back pain is an everyday companion. Heat/cold is a relief, especially the cold. I keep freezable packs at home and work. I'm sitting with one on my back as I write this.

My doctor tossed me out and told me I had an arthritic back. I went to a chiro for some relief. The big issue with the chiro is that you have to go long enough to get relief. It took 10 visits before things got better, and then another 10 to make things bearable. I have to say that the massage therapy that went along with the chiro may have done more than the manipulation. It really helped.

Drugs don't seem to help a lot. I was taking some many NSAIDS that I ended up with an allergic reaction. Hives over most of my body, a persistent cough, etc. Be careful about your pain meds. Percocet and Vicodin are evil. Can't shit to save your life, and screws with your mind.

I've decided that the best way to deal with the issue is to lose 40 lbs and get into shape. Easier said then done, when you have trouble lifting your feet, or standing for any length of time, but it has to be done. This is the week when I start that program after the recent broken back incident. Small steps taken often eventually get you where you want to go.

Hang in there, anyone with back pain knows how debilitating it can be.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

Bob, yeah I hear you I am down 20 and much more fit now than ever in my life. I can work out fine, its walking and laying that are the worst..weird right? I went to a Chiro for 2 yrs, once a week..I left feeling worse than I did when I went in. I suspect he didnt listen when I told him what was causing my pain. They confirmed I have severe arthritis in my neck and he told me "your too young for that, thats not what the problem is" worst part is its the only one I can see without paying out of pocket. Narcos make me itchy and catatonic. I dont like them If I take Motrin or the like it gives me other issues...bleeding where one doesnt want to bleed.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat

Comment

Working...
                              X