Who's got the best Oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeithTurk View Post

I don't really have an oil story... other then I change the junk often... Unless it's a Jet Turbine like in the Helicopter... that NEVER gets it's oil changed.... ( okay almost never ).... simple because the oil isn't ever contaminated with the Combustion process....
    I figure it's because the guy who would complain about the problem of a lube failure would be part of the debris field....
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 3, 2012, 11:54 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk View Post
      I don't really have an oil story... other then I change the junk often... Unless it's a Jet Turbine like in the Helicopter... that NEVER gets it's oil changed.... ( okay almost never ).... simple because the oil isn't ever contaminated with the Combustion process....
      We change ours every 1200 hours now (used to be 540 days) average about 8 hours per mission thats about 250 launches, when it comes out it always looks like it did when we put it in. 3 different filters in the system for oil, plus the external holding tank and a 8qt oil cooler keeps things tidy.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I always enjoy Keith's questions because he gives you the answer before he's finished speaking. Except when it's something about a missing diet Coke.

The best oil is the one I'm using at the moment of course.

We break in new go fast motors (relative term) with Lucas break in oil, two changes then on to the oil we'll use until it requires a refresh, usually Mobil 1, but lately Joe Gibbs. Mobil 1 for the DD truck which I intend to keep forever.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally Posted by peewee
          I won a 1990 Geo Prizm in a divorce.

Originally posted by Orange65 View Post
          I know times were probably hard, but really- is that considered a win?
          I was hoping somebody would pick up on that...ahhhhh we ARE awake!

Yep, I won. Believe me, I won. Believe it or not, under the circumstances, that was a win! I got away from it and didn't have to walk to work. An embarrassing ride, but DING! Free as a bird and smiling all the way.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I started using Castrol as soon as I got my licence and started driving my 71 Cutlass and its just my brand.
            I also like "STP" oil filters because they are blue!
            I have for a fact took off a stopped up Fram filter, I laugh at the parts guy when he says the oil/filter deal is with a Fram.

Comment

Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
              I started using Castrol as soon as I got my licence and started driving my 71 Cutlass and its just my brand.
              I also like "STP" oil filters because they are blue!
              I have for a fact took off a stopped up Fram filter, I laugh at the parts guy when he says the oil/filter deal is with a Fram.
              I've pulled a few clogged Fram filters out of cars over the years, I stopped using them...Purilator or STP...
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I always use Pennzoil. My '98 Stratus at 140,000 miles was clean under the valvecover, didn't dig any deeper. When I got my Sebring, it wasn't really gunked, but kind of had a varnish over everything. Not sure what caused that, but didn't seem to change much throughout the 20K miles I drove it. Neither 'died' from engine failure though. I have heard the stories about Quakerstate, but haven't heard anything about Pennzoil until this site. I also used to use fram filters, mainly because of the grip on the bottom, until I read that they were junk. The past couple of filters I cut open to see for myself, and it doesn't look much different between cheaper filters. I sprang for a synthetic filter this time, and am curious to see what that looks like inside.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  I've pulled a few clogged Fram filters out of cars over the years, I stopped using them...Purilator or STP...
                  Oil filters?
                  I use K&N filters........for only one reason.

It's got the nut on the bottom..........I like that.
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

hmmm, thats handy...might have to check that out.

Comment

Wix filters on the race cars.... ( we have a re-usable on the small blocks as I recall )

Comment

PENNZOIL - I just yesterday ran the valves in my 250,000+ mile Olds big block and it is SO clean- you would think its brand new. Yeah I change the oil fairly regularly, but only about every 10,000 miles. It does use oil so I am adding it every few weeks, but thats because the engine is over 18 yrs old and needs rings. I like the Yellow bottle.

when talking conventional oils ... well.... oil is oil is oil is oil... just change it when it gets black. Synthetics are ceratinly better right. I mean they do cost twice as much so they must be better. eh?

if you got an engine that was plugged full of crap... then somebody didn't change the oil. or the motor has a bad problem with runnin' hot.

PENNZOIL RULES.
                        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Its been Castrol GTX for more than 20 years, never a problem, always clean engines.
                          I use Fram filters and never had a problem, I would like to know how ya'll get them stopped up? More of a problem than a filter. I have heard the Fram stories before, dont care what the other filter rep says.

Comment

im a fan of wesson and extra virgin olive oil
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

There's a WIX facility here in Massachusetts and their stuff ships proudly on Lohnes pallets. Woot.
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

free oil is best

Comment

Working...
                                X