Car Insurance and the Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance and the Track

I know most car insurance companies won't cover damages that occur at a race track....... But talking with my insurance agent today she said that some of the specialty insurance companies might...... So do you know of any insurance companies that cover your car both on the street and at the track??.....
    Last edited by TC; July 3, 2012, 10:22 PM.

There is a guy on yellowbullet who sells insurance for race cars that covers them at the track, I think his name is Bill Lutz but I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3100truck View Post
      There is a guy on yellowbullet who sells insurance for race cars that covers them at the track, I think his name is Bill Lutz but I'm not sure.
      That would sure be amazing if it's true. State Farm wants a police report to go with a claim. That's hard to get at the track.

"Well, Occifer, I was going 140 mph when the right front wheel came off, and I lost control. Am I in trouble?"

Claim denied.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Bill Lutz sells on track insurance. I know a few guys who have crashed and used it. All said he was great to deal with.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
          Bill Lutz sells on track insurance. I know a few guys who have crashed and used it. All said he was great to deal with.
          Gyah-lee. I'dda never imagined. By the odds and the math, that policy has got to be cosmically expensive. Has to be. Like, give me the amount of money your race car is worth, and l'll give it back to you when you wreck it.

It's long been said that insurance companies make a fortune betting against what we fear the most, which rarely ever happens.

But a race car? I'd sure not insure a race car if I was in the insurance business. That's amazing, the very idea.

Sue Unit even asked me before I went to run the Mile, "What if you wreck Red doing it?"

I said, "Well, he'll be wrecked."

"Will our insurance cover that?"

Absolutely not. Worse than not. Less than not. Like, maybe they won't even write me a policy on the next car, if they knew I was racing that one.
          Last edited by pdub; July 4, 2012, 05:39 AM.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I could see insuring cars that are strip racer or land speed racers for a standing mile on a paved track but I couldn't imagine insuring those cars that shoot it out with20 other sporty cars.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I got quotes a few years back as I have 'collector car' insurance on the Mustnag with AAA. AAA doesn't cover at the track but everything else. The racing coverage wasn't cheap and I passed. Close to a grand a year.
              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

If you stack it up, just get it out to the street and say it was hit n run .....

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

Allstate will cover mine (with an agreed amount) at the track, just not if something happens while I'm actually racing/driving on the dragstrip portion of the property. If it gets hit, stolen or vandalized at the track (not racing on the track proper) ..... they pay as if it was a normal private property accident. That's why I stuck w/them vs Haggerty ..... Haggerty doesn't cover when actually racing either.
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

on a side note .......

WHAT IF ...

you have your tow pig, car trailer, and racecar on the trailer and you stop at the local diner to eat before heading to the track and you come out to find it all gone, would insurance cover the trailer and racecar since it was attached to the truck ? I know it all depends on your policy but has anyone heard of something like this happening ?
                  Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                    on a side note .......

WHAT IF ...

you have your tow pig, car trailer, and racecar on the trailer and you stop at the local diner to eat before heading to the track and you come out to find it all gone, would insurance cover the trailer and racecar since it was attached to the truck ? I know it all depends on your policy but has anyone heard of something like this happening ?
                    I'm far from an expert, but I asked my agent that regarding the atvs in a trailer, parked somewhere. She told me if the trailer is hooker to the tow vehicle .... it's covered by the auto policy. Trailer parked by itself .... homeowners. I've been with my agent for 30+ years, and she's never led me down the wrong path .... FWIW.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I would have to agree with Bamfster; back in 2005 traveling through Dallas, there was a couch in the middle of I35, right downtown. I was able to miss the couch with the wife's truck, but the enclosed trailer got it. It did several thousands of dollars worth of damage to the trailer and my USAA auto policy covered it. Now, I had separate insurance for the trailer, since it was expensive, but since it was "hooked up" to the truck, it was covered under the auto policy.

To the OP- USAA will not cover you, Hagerty will not, State Farm will not, and neither will American Collector Car Insurance. I'm pretty sure that All State won't cover you either. In fact, with most of your collector/special insurance companies, you have to sign a waiver and state that you will not use your car for ANY type of racing.
                      Last edited by Bucky67; July 4, 2012, 10:10 AM.
                      sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                      - George Orwell

Comment

They have a couple different types of coverage if you have a race car. One type is while you are at the track, like if somebody runs into you while in the stageing lanes and another 'downtrack' coverage (the expensive one) is while you are making a pass. A good friend broke an axle at about the 60' lights and collected both walls and did major damage to his hass mustang, it was covered - no problem.
                        A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Which is why I absolutely hate to disconnect the trailer at derbys...
                          They make good "lawn chairs" Backless tho..
                          Some require the trailers left in a different lot... Not lately tho..

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky67 View Post
                            I would have to agree with Bamfster; back in 2005 traveling through Dallas, there was a couch in the middle of I35, right downtown. I was able to miss the couch with the wife's truck, but the enclosed trailer got it. It did several thousands of dollars worth of damage to the trailer and my USAA auto policy covered it. Now, I had separate insurance for the trailer, since it was expensive, but since it was "hooked up" to the truck, it was covered under the auto policy.

To the OP- USAA will not cover you, Hagerty will not, State Farm will not, and neither will American Collector Car Insurance. I'm pretty sure that All State won't cover you either. In fact, with most of your collector/special insurance companies, you have to sign a waiver and state that you will not use your car for ANY type of racing.
                            I have State Farm and my agent said that they have collector car insurance, but get this, the car has to be completely RESTORED and you have to supply pictures.........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                              I have State Farm and my agent said that they have collector car insurance, but get this, the car has to be completely RESTORED and you have to supply pictures.........
                              I've got State Farm, but I've got classic plates too. IIRC, I had it before I got the plates too, and when I finally started driving it, I upped the agreed upon value. I think a lot has to do with your agent, my family has a good relationship with him and hardly file claims. My brother has the same as I do on his Coronet, not sure what the value is though. He just hit a deer with it, so we'll see how that goes with a classic car. I don't know about racing, but we don't get time often, only once or twice a year, and neither car is all that fast yet. I'm willing to take my chances at the track.

Comment

Working...
                              X