Info on '64 Ford Galaxie 500XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on '64 Ford Galaxie 500XL

What can you guys tell me about '64 Galaxies? 289 powered versions in particular. ;D

Re: Info on '64 Ford Galaxie 500XL

id be better with atleast a 390... what kind of stuff do you want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by FORDGUY
      Agreed what exactly are you looking for as far as info.
      I can tell you that if it is an early 64 chances are the 289 has a five bolt bell housing and won't
      bolt up to later SBF tranny's or vice versa the tranny won't bolt up to a later engine!

Comment

Originally posted by racepics
        I can tell you that if it is an early 64 chances are the 289 has a five bolt bell housing and won't
        bolt up to later SBF tranny's or vice versa the tranny won't bolt up to a later engine!

The bellhousing bolts on the C4, it's just a simple matter of using the correct bellhousing.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Just trouble spots to look for, or interesting tidbits, like the early bellhousing, etc.

Comment

The auto trans in a 64 is actually a CruisOmatic. It's just an early version of the C-4. People have told me you can't swap bell housings on those, but you can. I put a 66 289 in a 64 Hardtop for a guy and used his original trans, swapping the bell.

I have owned a few 63-64 Galaxies, and can tell you a 390 version is much more fun. The 289 cars are a little underpowered, but it will move the car down the road okay. I did have a 64 Country Sedan Wagon that had a 352 4v in it that ran exceptionally well. Parts are easy to come by for these cars, and replacements are fairly inexpensive unless you are looking at NOS stuff. Even by Ebay standards, parts are cheap.

I don't know where you are located, but here in the Northeast, we look for rust on the frame rails that run the length of the rockers, and the front mounting points of the rear springs, and the rails under the trunk. Trunk pans are also prone to rust issues on these cars. If it's clean, buy it, they are great road cars, and handle any Ford engine family with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
              Originally posted by racepics

The bellhousing bolts on the C4, it's just a simple matter of using the correct bellhousing.
              Agreed whole heartedly didn't know how original he wants it.

An interesting swap would be a Windsor stroker of 427 cid ;D

Comment

460 based stroker 545 :o

Comment

two jet engines!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

My Dad had a '64 Galaxie 500 XL convertible when I was growing up. Full stocker, had a 352 4V and even with the extra weight of the top still had some balls. Great cars, wish he still had it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cobra
                      two jet engines!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

only 2?

Comment

Working...
                      X