Which engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which engine?

I have an 86 Fiero Gt. Im 16 so im not loaded with money, but i have a question on an engine to run. I have the original 2.8 v6 but as any guy does, i want a little more power. I've thought about the supercharged 3800 but i know the fitment is a little more tighter than the original v6 (which is really tight). But a idea that came to mind was one of the new ecotec motors, like the 2.2 out of the hhr's and cobalts. I can supercharge them and there are a ton of aftermarket add-ons, plus it will still get better gas mileage than the 19ish im getting with the 2.8. Whats you opinion? Keep it Stock or change it.
    The youngest guy on the board
    76 vega
    86 fiero

Do you need the car for transportation? Just keep in mind that an engine swap on a small car can take quite a bit longer than you planned on.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

they have some hotrod stuff for the 2.8, if the ecotech fits they run good, even the one in my wifes o4 cavalier runs good
      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

a sideways drivetrain behind you...

I vote the inline four. it is far enough away.

I drove one of those just once..can't remeber mr2 from a fiero..but do remember engine was crazy large even as oem.

more air, and room..very light go kart. boost would be fun if it fits as well.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Run a 3.4 motor in it, same Fiero cam & heads, more displacement.
          You can switch to the newer better intake/injection set-up.
          Plus 3.4 motors are a dime a dozen at the junkyard...

Comment

^ that sounds good too
            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

There was a guy in Canada who spent about $6k and stuffed a 455 in his Fiero longitudinally. He used a Riviera/Toronado transaxle and front suspension, with a transverse leaf from a Vette instead of the torsion bars those cars had. It was a very mild 455 Pontiac, but it ran 12.3 on regular old BFG radial tires, and yanked the front wheels easily. It took some cutting on the trunk, but it all fit and handled pretty well.

If you can find the stuff cheaper, you can put about anything in there.

Comment

Contact Phil. He probably knows the most about Fiero's around here.
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

It's really hard for me not to say SBC but I do know this is a hard swap ( moving the starter to the opposite side for one, bell housing adapter would be two.) So really need to stick with the stock bell housing pattern . So, if it were me I'd go with in this order....# 1 Northstar V8, If I didn't already have the 87 GTA t/a that I don't plan on getting rid of , I would do it. #2 Buick 3.8 , And if I'm not mistaken buik made a smaller cube version , the 3.3
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

How far is your commute to school? If it's short buy some batteries and go electric! Instant torque!
                    Powertour off/on since 2002
                    sigpic

Comment

As much as I want to say Buick 3800... I'm going to throw a curveball (like you didn't see that coming) and say Saab 2.3t. Good gravey I love the one in my 9-5 Aero. Fiero guys seem to be getting thier updated stick boxes from Saabs anyway.

Now it will be a hang up for the EFI and as best I could find by searching, no one has done it. That being said, it looks like a modern ecotech is also a hard swap. For simplicity, get the bigger Metric60 out of a later model or go the traveled route of L36/67. If you want to be different with a ton of torque (for a 4-banger) do the Saab.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

you didn't ask but I'd try to find the LS4 they put into FWD Impala SS/Monte SS/GrandPrix GTP and swap it and the transaxle behind the seats.
                        nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by >>>>head View Post
                          you didn't ask but I'd try to find the LS4 they put into FWD Impala SS/Monte SS/GrandPrix GXP and swap it and the transaxle behind the seats.
                          Fixed it for you.

Been done I think. For some reason I'm remembering massive rework of the engine compartment and accessory drive.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I know a guy who put a northstar V8 in one, car was stupid fast
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Sorry guys i totally forgot about the thread. Been busy around here. But to school and from school is like a total of 18+/- Miles. And i ont really care what motor to put in it, i just dont want to go through a ton of work just to get a couple more horse and a little bit of torque. I thought about the ls4 but that consist of having to cutt the engine bay and i would like to stay away from that. I thought about that super charged 3800 that came in some of the regal gs's. But Im just trying to get some ideas and try to get my ducks in a row and start collecting pieces that i'll need. Paint comes first though.
                              The youngest guy on the board
                              76 vega
                              86 fiero

Comment

Working...
                              X