HotRod better Check the Laws......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HotRod better Check the Laws......

In the new issue of HotRod on page 149 they have started a new column that is called the "Internet Lies"..... They say they are going to "quote" and "name" the guilty.......

Well there might be some CopyRight infringement that they might want to look into first....... But then I could use a little extra cash........

If you are going to use my writings for profit then I better get some compensation!!!!.........

Protecting your writing:
    Give yourself credit

Prepared by the ASJA Contracts Committee

When you distribute tearsheets--as samples of your freelance work or as a courtesy to article subjects--or post your writing on the Internet, what can you do to help protect your rights?

Fortunately, U.S. law is on your side. As a freelance, unless you transfer your rights to a publisher or another party, you own the copyright in your work from the moment of creation. It's your property, and you have the right to control and charge for its use. Without your permission--

If a company reprints your article in its employee newsletter, or makes copies to hand out to customers, that is illegal.

If a publicist photocopies your article for press kits, that is illegal.

If a copy shop combines your article with others into a "coursepack" to be sold to students, that is illegal.

If a fan reproduces your article on a homemade World Wide Web page, that is illegal.

If your magazine publisher approves a request for the reuse of your article, even though you never signed over more than one-time rights, that is illegal too.

The law does not say your work must bear a copyright notice--a label announcing your ownership--but a notice warns those who may not know the law, so no one can claim "innocent infringement."

While books almost always include a copyright notice in the author's name, magazines and newspapers rarely note ownership of individual articles. (The blanket copyright notice in periodicals covers the publisher's own copyright in the issue as a whole--the "collective work" copyright--not your copyright in your own piece of that whole.) But when you're in control--such as when making photocopies, posting on the Internet or circulating an unpublished manuscript--you can add your own notice, such as:

COPYRIGHT 1997 YOUR NAME

(Or your agent, your writers' organization, etc.)

With such a notice you warn, "This is my property. Don't use it without permission." You bring potential reuse customers directly to you, saving them the extra step of tracking you down through a publisher. And you lessen the chance that your publisher may authorize reuse when that is properly your right.
    Last edited by TC; July 8, 2012, 12:27 PM.

Much like a blogging was recently found to not be protected by journalism laws, I don't think public internet posts on a public forum count as freelance work......

Or do you have a website called "TC's guide to short stroke and piston pin locations for ultimate horsepower" out there you are afraid will be quoted? Not that I've ever seen a quoted reference considered infringment either.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; July 8, 2012, 12:11 PM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Dude, there is a battery of lawyers and legal staff available to Hot Rod, I'm pretty sure things have been checked out and cleared by them to prevent legal issues. The only difference between posting here (or anywhere on the net) and being quoted in a magazine is people have to pay for the mag, but anyone with access to a computer anywhere in the world can see what you said here.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        Much like a blogging was recently found to not be protected by journalism laws, I don't think public internet posts on a public forum count as freelance work......

Or do you have a website called "TC's guide to short stroke and piston pin locations for ultimate horsepower" out there you are afraid will be quoted? Not that I've ever seen a quoted reference considered infringment either.
        If you notice in the article they said they got "Permission" to quote what Scott said........ I'm taking it they will need "permission" to post all of the stuff they are going to quote..... And I write every day on the internet, yes I do feel I'm an Internet Author......

Also Brian and Chad have a nice little disclaimer.....
        All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of The BangShift.com Forums, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
        Your writings on here are your writings they don't want any part of them......

Comment

Nope, not "writings". "VIEWS"

As in viewpoint..
          Last edited by Deaf Bob; July 8, 2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Hehe...

From what I have heard, you better fire up the legal team, TC.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

One thing about it, the interweb is a wide-ass open format. Nations, the world.

I think one of he things I love so much about BS (it could have been any forum) is that I both feel so much at home finally and I get to type.

I can type up a storm, causing all kids of trouble or hopefully making some folks on the other end chuckle at times, and it goes out instantly.

Used to be when I was writing for the newspaper (and believe me folks, writing is not a lucrative career), I'd type on a word processor, and then deliver the hardcopy to the newspaper office (or mail it in from the road) and in two weeks it would be there in print.

Open the paper, those are my words. What a great feeling. And folks who subscribed would comment on it, and let me know if they liked it or not.

Typing on BS has fulfilled that basic need of mine, just to type and see it go, for better or worse.

And frankly it pays just about the same as writing for the newspaper. And end result, better and more satisfying.
              Last edited by pdub; July 8, 2012, 12:51 PM.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

btw congrats on the article Brian, getting the name out there yet again
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
                  Hehe...

From what I have heard, you better fire up the legal team, TC.
                  Hey I really don't care, I'm all for getting Print in the Magazine!!!!!!, hell they can just make me a Feature if they want, I'll love the attention!!!!, Plus I'll get BangShift plugged in the magazine again..........Thing is I know I'm not perfect and that I don't know it all, but if you don't ask or share your ideas you never learn...... Though I doubt I'll get more than one reference in one months issue...... There is a lot of crazy stuff people say and way crazier than what I say....... I know they said they got Permission to post what Scott said, so I'm sure they'd need to get Permission to quote me....... Anyway I'll run it by a couple of lawyer friends of mine and see where I stand, I can't see how they could get away with using my writings for Profit without compensating me would be legal........
                  Last edited by TC; July 8, 2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Nope, not "writings". "VIEWS"

As in viewpoint..
                    Did you read what I posted about Brain and Chad's disclaimer...... I copy and pasted it from the Forum Rules, we are referred to as Authors.........

They maybe my views, but I still "wrote" them.....

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      btw congrats on the article Brian, getting the name out there yet again
                      Thanks Jim, I have not gotten my magazine yet. Which one was it?

(edit: this is the one Scott is quoted in..right? -- I have a couple of things I have written for DF that will be popping up in future issues, as well. )

Brian
                      Last edited by Brian Lohnes; July 8, 2012, 01:00 PM.
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                        If you are going to use my writings for profit then I better get some compensation!!!!.........

Hey now wait up TC... Who says they will make a profit by printing your writings?! ;)
                        Will you compensate them if they loose subscribers/advertisers because of this?
                        Last edited by BigBlockMopar; July 8, 2012, 12:59 PM. Reason: Copyright notice :P
                        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                          Hey now wait up TC... Who says they will make a profit by printing your writings?! ;)
                          Yeah that is a concern. I've caused that. Yeah, that's a part of the risk-management thing in print publications. Yeah.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                            They make a profit from the advertising in the magazine and if they are using my writings for content to sell that magazine then I should be compensated..........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                              Did you read what I posted about Brain and Chad's disclaimer...... I copy and pasted it from the Forum Rules, we are referred to as Authors.........

They maybe my views, but I still "wrote" them.....
                              It is still your views they are disclaiming... Not your authorship..
                              It's nice he gave me a mention as a reader of this forum, which is true.. He did not call me an author.. But I am reasonably certain he was refeering to my view that the truck was "kick ass" to quote him...
                              Either way..Brian knows of me.. That is big in my book!

Comment

Working...
                              X