No announcement yet.

Anyone else faced with this delimma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind getting a good looking daily driver that has oomph to back it up. Kind of like Bill's truck but in car form. But you won't find me selling one of my old cars to get there, nor would it be anywhere near top of my list to attend an event in. I rather run 15's in my Thunderbird or Centurion than 12's in a late-model Corvette or 13-14's in a Camaro or Mustang.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
      yeah, that must be it...or it is the expence and time involved. may of us have full time jobs, kids, bills and no garage/storage for the gobs of parts one needs to build our dream cars, so the next best thing is to buy something we can tweek on a bit and still get the pleasure of driving something fast and powerful... That sounds more like someone who doesn't need a hotrod in the first place,

to say that all people who by new muscle or even classic muscle and dont build it themselves is just ignorant and short sighted. No one at all said anything about buying an old car, did they???

and if bolting on a cold air tube and hooking up a tuner to a new engine nets me the same power gains as an intake and carb swap...how are they different? enlighten me. Really, If you can't separate those two projects I can't tell ya either?

I guess I will go on living my pathetic, uncool, wannabe hot rodder life...I am a poor excuse for a human being..forgive me. What ever your the one who said it not me. Keep crying in your pillow I guess??
      Last edited by skullbucket; July 9, 2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

When it comes down to it, we do what we gotta do. The right car for the right time is about the logistics of it. If you have money and no time for a long time, a newer car makes sense. If you got a little cash, a little time, and the "want to" to put something together for fun.. go for it. To quote Gary Busey in Gumball Rally, ".. this whole thing is rigged fer fun". When it ceases to be fun, do something to make it fun. If that means more driving and less wrenching, then so be it.

Just make sure to look for your own boot behind you before you do something drastic. Sucks to be kicking yourself.
        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I would like to have a newer car, and my wife specifically would like to have a Challenger.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

It's just not my DNA........I can echo Groucho's remarks somewhat as well.
            I can see where you're coming from though......being in your age bracket.

I've been wrenching and building cars since a young age and like
            the challenge and results.

My dilemma right now is what do I (if anything) after building the shoebox.
            To me......it was the ultimate build.........stab a 409 into a '55 Chevy.

I'm itching to do another vehicle.....bad.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

"When it ceases to be fun, do something to make it fun."

Amen Brother, amen. Ain't that the dadgum screaming truth. I mean overall, the bigger, BIGGEST picture. I wish I had written that song. But I fell asleep at the wheel, and just didn't do it. A-freaking absolutely AMEN. How many thumbs do I have to point UP? Not enough of them.

There it is, the truth we should all be chasing, right there. Am I overly-enthusiastic about that? No, I don't think so.
              Last edited by pdub; July 9, 2012, 06:49 PM.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I dont get it. Whats all this thinking that an old car cant drive cross country just because its old? Cruising down a highway is the easiest thing on your car. Around town driving is much harder on your car than road trips. If your old car cant drive 500 miles in one day, then there is something that needs fixing. So fix it. Want proof? My totally rusted out POS $50 69 impala with 180k miles made it to Cali from Nebraska with no problem. I drive my Impala all over the southwest. Its not anything that great. The wiring is all patched together, but cruises right along no problem.

Personally, I despise new cars. I hate you have to pay for a bunch of crap you dont want. I hate all the nanny crap in new cars.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

YOu get to drive new cars all day at work Scott, so you probably have a little bit different take on it.

My 55 is not quite so fun in LA traffic, as it is driving everywhere else.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    YOu get to drive new cars all day at work Scott, so you probably have a little bit different take on it.

Your suburban is a kick ass vehicle...........and seems pretty reliable.
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Scott, I am with you, Groucho, and Monk at my core. But from the hill I am standing on, I can see the valley that Bishir finds himself in. Early married life and children throw life dynamics into the mix that move our tire frying, exhaust sniffing, ear ringing, gas sucking selves further down the totem pole. With the demands of family, a man longs to have some re- energizing connection to his inner rodder that requires nothing more than a monthly check to your favorite mass car builder. That way he gets to have some fun even though his large blocks of focused hot rod time have become scattered into many snipets and sprinkled throughout the child rearing years.
                      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Spot on cantvalve, he isnt selling out to buy a new performance car. Selling out is buyin a minivan or a Kiayotaonda.

Comment

So what everybody is sayin is: If you can't be on the pro football team just buy the uniform and wear it and that will make you included as a team member?
                          What im sayin is: I melted an electric fan so I had to pull the $500 aluminum radiator, both fans and wiring, it will take almost 2 weeks to get the parts and and with no instructions piece it back together just in time for the big cruise, yet the guy with the new Camaro has been furiously clay bar and waxing it, and that special night on Main street he is going to stand next to me and feel he is in the same category as me? I think not!
                          Last edited by skullbucket; July 9, 2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

No car is fun in LA traffic. AC and a comfortable interior makes a new car nicer, but that is surely possible in any old car.

If I were commuting the car a ton, my priorities would be different than they are now. I have driven this car in 115* temps, in the rain (it leaked since I bought it), it makes more wind noise than engine noise above 75 mph, it usually hotter in the car than out (black will not my next choice for color),
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
                              So what everybody is sayin is: If you can't be on the pro football team just buy the uniform and wear it and that will make you included as a team member?
                              What im sayin is: I melted an electric fan so I had to pull the $500 aluminum radiator, both fans and wiring, it will take almost 2 weeks to get the parts and and with no instructions piece it back together just in time for the big cruise, yet the guy with the new Camaro has been furiously clay bar and waxing it, and that special night on Main street he is going to stand next to me and feel he is in the same category as me? I think not!
                              I love wrenching on cars, a born grease monkey. Even keeping my old rusted out, beat to hell Cavalier running well and reliably gave me a lot of satisfaction. It wasn't my dream car by any stretch, but I was the one who did all the work on it. I am completely psyched about tearing into the TBird, not even about driving it when it's done yet, but about building a car the way I want it again. Tearing it apart, fixing what's wrong with it, strengthening the weak points, making the strong points stronger, making it better than it ever was, learning the whole car top to bottom, and doing as much as I possibly can myself, I love it.

But I will never, ever, understand the attitude that it somehow makes me better than someone else. It's just something I enjoy and have the time and money to do.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
                                ....yet the guy with the new Camaro has been furiously clay bar and waxing it, and that special night on Main street he is going to stand next to me and feel he is in the same category as me? I think not!
                                I think he might be. He's guy who loves his car as much as you do and is out and about showing it off with some like minded folks at a cruise night. He chose a new performance car, you chose a mid-70's Vette. If you don't care about his car don't look at it and move on to the next one at the show. As for categories? No thanks.
                                Last edited by Joe Grippo; July 10, 2012, 06:40 AM.
                                Time Wasters...
                                http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Working...
                                X