No announcement yet.

Anyone else faced with this delimma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to point out that there's a difference between "car guy" and "hotrodder". People often use the terms interchangeably, but are they really? Hotrodders hotrod things, not just cars. Pulling tractors/trucks are hotrodded. Racing mowers are hotrodded. A 2004 Jeep Wrangler with a blower is hotrodded. Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't be hotrodded.
    A car guy has cars/trucks for more than just basic transportation. "checkbook hotrodders" and new "factory hotrod" buyers can be labeled car guys (unless they're buying it for an "investment"). Anyone making something faster or more powerful is "hotrodding" it, thus making them a "hotrodder". Not that either is better than the other, and the territory overlaps often, but they are not the same. Just how I see it.

Comment

Yay, I"m a hotrodder!

Oh and James, knowing you, I know you're not really going to let anyone on here's bullshit opinion sway you. Do what makes YOU happy.
      Last edited by BluLightning; July 10, 2012, 03:09 PM.
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
        You think a guy who starts with a shell and completes a car out of it and a guy who shells out $38000 is in the same category?
        And I know everybody and their brother had their first car at age 10 and was doing side work at age 12 BLAH, BLAH, BLAH ETC, but its what became of the experience is what matters, you are a mechanic and I have owned 83 cars and trucks.
        That's why I keep my '71 Camaro, I could have said F'it a long time ago and just sold it and dumped the money into my '99 Camaro and had a bad ass LS Motor installed........ Instead I keep it and will finish it and enjoy it....... There is a love and devotion that you get when you build a car and no amount of money can buy that..........
        Last edited by TC; July 10, 2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Just buy what you want and enjoy it. Don't worry about what other people think, values or any other go with the flow crap.

If you can afford it and you want it, go get it... Selling out is doing as others so you can be part of the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07 View Post
            I'd like to point out that there's a difference between "car guy" and "hotrodder". People often use the terms interchangeably, but are they really? Hotrodders hotrod things, not just cars. Pulling tractors/trucks are hotrodded. Racing mowers are hotrodded. A 2004 Jeep Wrangler with a blower is hotrodded. Just because it's new doesn't mean it can't be hotrodded.
            A car guy has cars/trucks for more than just basic transportation. "checkbook hotrodders" and new "factory hotrod" buyers can be labeled car guys (unless they're buying it for an "investment"). Anyone making something faster or more powerful is "hotrodding" it, thus making them a "hotrodder". Not that either is better than the other, and the territory overlaps often, but they are not the same. Just how I see it.
            I'm not arguing, actually agree with you, but in other words a guy that buys a hot rod and does not modify it to be faster is just a car guy??....... As in the checkbook hot rodder that just drives the car.........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
              I'm not arguing, actually agree with you, but in other words a guy that buys a hot rod and does not modify it to be faster is just a car guy??....... As in the checkbook hot rodder that just drives the car.........

Hey, I resemble that remark.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

And wasn't it DF or someone in one of the mags say you have to have done at least 5 modifications to the car for it to be considered a hot rod??

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                  Hey, I resemble that remark.
                  Ya but I like you PeeWee........ You get the TC get out jail free card........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                    Ya but I like you PeeWee........ You get the TC get out jail free card........
                    Thanks TC! That's good to know ahead of time, when I need to cash it in. No telling how or when I'll end up in the White Room with black curtains. Yeah, I appreciate that for sure. Got one in the wallet! Cool beans!

Comment

As for as selling out goes, remember hot rods didn't used to have windows, doors, fenders. Those guys back in the day would call peop;e buying factory muscle be it 60s,70s,80 ect sellouts. So , I'm probably a sell out with my25 year old T/A. I'd sell the least loved and hope into a 05 mustang,or a first year re-introduction camaro ss/challenger. I really like the LOOK of old muscle cars but I will not buy anything older than 96 from here on out. I've just gotten spoiled with how much better newer cars are put together fit and finish door gaps ect. and the suspensions ability to handle. It's not that you can't fix one to have all these atributes, it's just going to cost 4 times as much and take 4 times as long. You'll still be one of us which ever way you go Bishir.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

James, I agree with Bob, do what makes YOU happy!!! Me personally, there's no comparison.... I could sell Jade and wouldn't blink an eye. And I've owned her for 12 years, managed to keep her through FIVE deployments and the Big D. You just can't compete with today's technology. I could sell out tomorrow and could care less what people on here think of me. I've had new and old..... Love em all!!!
                        sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                        - George Orwell

Comment

What a great discussion! I'll go back to the point that you guys are going to turn wrenches on stuff because you love to do that. And a new ride pretty takes that part out of it.

And again and again and over and over....yes, I bought a ride ready to go because I sure enough in this world don't know how to build one. If that makes me enjoy driving it any less, I'm going to hotrod hell when I check out. It's just so much fun to drive it. Where does that play into the equation, really?

I didn't need that car to go along with our brand new grocery getter sedan and the plain white pickup truck. Didn't need it like a frog doesn't need being put into a microwave oven.

I bought it, and I'm enjoying it to no end. Is that so bad? That seems to be the flow and course of this dialogue.

No, daggumit, I did NOT build it! I would have, but ....no, I bought it. There it was at the end of the street. The street that led to all the fun I've had with it. And through that, meeting the people who do it the other way, the RIGHT way I guess. Build it and drive it.

What do I say....the airplane pilot in most cases in the world didn't build the airplane. But they fly it.

Comment

These thoughts come from walking around the parking lot at work today, where my 1990 cougar was the oldest car there by far, to many civics, suvs, and other soulless 4 wheel appliances . So I am not around "car guys" all day.

I have less then 10% of the talent/knowledge of most here. Not sure where I fit in the car guy/non car guy status. Don't really care. Nothing hold my interest outside my family more than cars. I try to work on my cars, drag race my cars when I can, hang out with others who enjoy their cars. Others can only talk about cars, some only work on other peoples cars, but I am fine with both, they have passed on knowledge I can only hope to absorb.

Peewee I think you are a good example of someone that has found the fun we have with our cars whether you have wrenched on it or not. You do not need a free pass in my book, you have earned your stripes.
                            Last edited by nesabo; July 10, 2012, 04:50 PM.
                            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Neal Sabo, thank you for your words Sir. I'm basically insecure that way as you and everybody else here knows. Our conversation at the Party, and your post here, thank you Sir.

I'll keep getting out of tune again. Always need a bump, on that and only that one thing in my whole life. Thanks man.
                              Last edited by pdub; July 10, 2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I am a self proclaimed hot rodder. And the village idiot.
                                I paid $1500 for my 1984 mustang and drove it for a year while tuning it up. The motor started to go terminal last fall so I decided to buy an efi motor from one of my dads friends. I have have spent virtually every weekend in the junkyard scrounging for parts and even some go fast parts. During this process I have asked a lot of dumb questions to my dad and his friends but I have too. How else am I going to answer them for my son.
                                As to the original question you said buy a gt500 or the likes. I really don't see a problem with it if it's what you wanna do. But I think you answered your own question. You said you want to build a bada$$ gnx and that you had 2 cars . If you cut one of those out to fund your new project you a.) won't be without a car and b.) will build your dream car.

Village idiot signing out
                                Last edited by 1trickpony; July 10, 2012, 07:26 PM. Reason: Beer goggles
                                Jeff
                                Follow My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X