Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deiselgeek-I'm calling you out (in a friendly way)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am glad we all dont like the same things here, the site would not have lasted a month.

One reason I try to meet as many of the folks here as I can, we are completely different out from behind the keyboard.
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

You're much taller than you look in type Neal. It was a pleasure to meet you in Topeka last Sept. and in Detroit just over a month ago, both visits were way too short though. Hope to see ya over a brew again soon.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Apples and houses like Jim said

But man Groucho...thats a bitchin" garage.

I am going to start a thread for you in the next few days...I think you'll dig it...hold tight it's coming.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Seems I recall DG being razzed on endlessly on another site for not having cars, by a guy with what...a very tired keyboard and a couple junk Chevelles? So, we've already seen plenty of that. Frankly I can see the advantages of not being personally invested in some particular machinery sometimes, it might leave you more free to try different things and move ahead without being dragged down by something you're already sorta stuck with.

That being said, I'm one of the guys with too many cars laying around, mostly not running. I've built motors that surprised me with how much power they made, but don't actually enjoy tuning that much and frankly I'd just rather pound a dent out of an old fender.

Grouch by-the-way I have never met, but he does have a reputation as a go-to guy for when people are having a problem with something, as with DG. So, let that be known...

Comment

well in my opinion, since i havent ever met anyone here, is that we all bring something to the table, whether we own hot rods or just tune them.i have owned a few 'toys' in years past but currently dont. now i just want a cheap toy, that i can tinker with again. i am envious of all of you guys on here, you have your cars or trucks and the time and money to do things with them that i could never imagine doing so cheers to you all. my question for years now is why do hot rodders always kinda fight about bs instead of putting our minds together to come up with the next big thing......god i need another hot rod

Comment

Bill and Kieth well said!
              I don’t even get the question, “he can also show his personal attachment to the hobby”, and Geek has done more for Free than he has gotten paid for. My Close friend Curtis Boggs (RFD Heads and Manifolds) does not own a car, yes he builds bad assed heads, ask him yes he pays his bills, but he loves the making stuff better and guys cars go faster. That’s his pleasure of it like a great painter. I have seen Geek slave away for zero return. If Jimmy Prock doesn’t own a Funny car, does he have to prove his love of Racing? Would Robert Height run as good or be where he is without him why does he have to have a car to love it?
              Geek shows his passion a lot more than some here, and would have 100 guys line up to help him if he ever does decide he wants to have a money pit. I say he is smarter than the rest of us, he can go anywhere on any weekend and be with guys on the highest levels of Land Speed, Drag Racing, you name it and then go home without spending a dime and maybe make some to fuel his passion even more. I would rather do that than have 20 cars in the garage.

Why does owning a Bunch of cars mean someone has more passion for Cars? I don’t see it that way at all. Let’s face it, owning a lot of the cars you do is about the money as much as his tuning is. It’s a very bad example. Did you not just buy a Vette and polish it up and say what it was worth more? Then try to call people Nut Huggers for defending Geeks not having a car? Passion is Passion you don’t have to own a car to have it or get more points if you do. This was a low blow from a Guy I respected more before this post than I do now. Its fine whatever come back you have, but I expect this kind of Crap from TC and see he is now your nut hugger, what’s that say to you?

TC once again you miss the boat as far as anything goes the EFI will never be without someone who understands them and makes them better or Carbs would have been there long ago they are much simpler than EFI. You will never learn, it’s a safe bet 180* from what you think will be what is going to be a better answer or question. But you keep hoping.
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I'm sorry I volunteer my time all the time, I have built multiple outdoor classrooms at my kids school not making one red cent on my labor, only doing it so the kids have a better place to learn. I also built the 911 Memorial at my kids school, with the only payment being a thank you, I do not look for gratification from others for doing this stuff and I never will........ It's great DG does stuff for free, don't we all, but does that give him a right to act like an arrogant pompous ass to people he doesn't really know, because he feels he needs to be the self appointed fact cop of the forum?? And what gives him the right to bag on Groucho, when he doesn't even understand the aspect of the car hobby that Groucho is all about.........

There is a lot of DG kiss asses here, but then what do you expect from people that couldn't do EFI without him and want to take advantage of his generosity by acting like his friend...... I could care less if I piss the guy off or not, because I'm not going to play Mr. Kiss Ass just because I might need his help in the future.....Put it this way I don't want him to think I like him just because I can get something out of him and want him to know I like him for who he is and not what he can do for me.........

Comment

what does scotto do with all of the money ? lol
                  no kids to feed

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                    what does scotto do with all of the money ? lol
                    no kids to feed
                    Fukn Alimony right now. STAY MARRIED!
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

oops ...sorry pal
                      thats coming my way real soon

Comment

Can't we just all get along?!?!?
                        sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                        - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                          oops ...sorry pal
                          thats coming my way real soon

Avoid it all you can.

I do most of the drag week buddies' cars for cheap, never free (they always insist on trade, barter, pay a little, whatever, I never feel like it's charity work). A lot of those guys are also my guinea pigs, trying out new stuff.

But I have been doing some bigger gigs for real pay and that's the only thing keeping me afloat for about another 8 months and then I am a free man. after that I am seriously considering selling my house, quitting the IT industry for good, and becoming the world's best homeless EFI tuner.
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

OK, this will broadly address some of you guy's posts. I'm a mechanic by trade. I have my own, 1 man shop for about 20 yrs and only work on 1970 and older American cars. So, it's pretty much all "special interest" stuff. For the most part, I enjoy it. Some days I wanna throw something. But, I couldn't imagine repairing/improving other people's toys if I didn't have one of my own. I don't think I could do it. Others can, I can't. It's like pouring $$$ into a race car and having someone else drive it all the time. I'm not trying to be measured by the amount of toys, I've just been lucky to have learned from my dear buddy Eddie how to have the cars of my dreams by hustling my ass off. Also, my attention span is sorta narrow, and that has me changing interests/cars regularly. Ya shoulda seen me in the 80's when this stuff was everywhere....and CHEAP!. I LITERALLY drove a different car every 5-10 days. I'd buy one, tweak it for a couple days, then sell the current one. Mostly 1st Gen Camaro's back then sprinkled with several Elcamino's (to haul my ATC's and Ski Boats) and C1 and C2 Vettes. Not because I was trying to prove anything...but because I realized Eddie provided me with the mental tools to do it. When I was a kid I got my 1st slot car set at age 8. From then I was bitten. Slot cars, models, and magazines littered my room. But, being lower middle class I was convinced my real cars would probly be turds. And the first few were. In 74 I was 18 and was a Lowrider, something I'd never seen when growin up in New York. So, here in SoCal I jumped into that scene. So, in 74 I am 18 and have TWO Lowrider cars! Unheard of. A pretty clean 62 Impala and a 17K mile amazing 68 Impala. I'm shittin in tall cotton. Keep in mind my heart's into hot roddy shit. So I sell both and end up with a whopping $2000 cash. Big $$$ for an 18 yr old in 74. I bought my first Vette. A flared 64 365HP primered roadster for $775 w/fresh motor. With the extra $$ I sent the car to paint at CarCoa, bought a bunch of missing parts, big Cragar SS's with Indy tires. A week later I get the call my car's painted. It's 5 miles away in Van Nuys. My Mom at the time is a phone operator and goes to work EARLY. She gives me a ride to the paint shop 2 hours or more before the paint shop opens with my small tool box and all the parts I bought thru the week. The shop finally opens, and I pay and spend the rest of the morning in their lot screwing on parts. Finally done I drive down Sherman Wy to Ron's Tire to get my Cragars and Indy tires mounted. I'm 18, working for LESS than $2 and hour and have one bad ass Vette. I went on to a 12 year career(?) at street racing with the likes of Bob Brandt, Larry Dixon, the Stoffers, Steve Johnson, Howie Moon......who most of are good friends to this day. In the 80's, after street racing I had a Camaro shop behind House of Corvettes and Dream Cars for a while. So, when DG wants to call me old man.......I wonder what "tale" he gets to tell when he's my age?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by groucho; July 12, 2012, 09:36 AM.
                            STUGOTS

Comment

My . TC with me being a dumb ass it makes sense to learn all I can from those with more knowledge than me. Since everything DG posts makes sense to me I appreciate him sharing his knowledge with us. Wish I could say the same about everyone here.
                              It would make more sense for you to dampen your ego and try to learn instead of acting like a know it all. Since the majority of people acknowledge his attainments in the EFI tuning it makes sense to listen and absorb.
                              Are my lips brown enough?
                              Wait, should I be in peewee's thread?

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                                So, when DG wants to call me old man.......I wonder what "tale" he gets to tell when he's my age?
                                Luckily, I've already amassed some great stories that I'll cherish when I'm 90 years old like you groucho!!

KIDDING! good story, great pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X