Progressive insurance's black box "money saver"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive insurance's black box "money saver"

We have all seen the commercial with Flo encouraging people to plug in the little device that records your driving habits and you get "low rates if you are a safe driver". I would NEVER fall for this BS. With all the ways people are kept track of knowingly or otherwise these days why be blackmailed with rate savings and have your every vehicular move recorded.Any one else get tired of the lack of privacy, let alone intentionally inviting some company to keep track of you and your habits?
    It is bad enough OBD whatever generation you haves information can be pulled and used against you by the investigators,lawyers and the Po Po. Now some sheep plugs this recorder in their car and wa-la,Progressive sees something they don't like and cancels them ,so now they are on the high risk list? Me thinks it could happen. Or am I just paranoid??!!

You are exactly right ! Flo the Progressive girl can stick this thing up in her ass!

Comment

I agree with both of you.

Champ, I think you are seeing things for what they are. Too many people accept what they are told and never think about it any farther until the stupidity bites them in the ass.

The biggest scam I see is the automatic payment withdrawls from bank accounts. I will never allow any company access to my bank account.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I thought the same thing when I first saw that, if I plugged that thing into the Crown Vic it would melt and drip all over my shoe.
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Wait until the sheople make this the norm.

Then those without a "driving habit database" will be the ones labeled high risk. Think about it.

You can't get a loan without a credit history today.

Tomorrow you will not be able to get insurance without a driving habit history.....

Now where did I put my tin hat?
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I'm totally cool with this on the one hand because I drive like a Grandma most of the time. BUT........

Since I'm a total shit disturber, and only own one car built in the last 4 decades, I'm not worried about big brother. I say bring it big boy. What does piss me off, and makes me want to shoot a video about it, is the fact that I'm being punished for driving something old and don't have the opportunity to be rewarded for my fine driving habits since I don't have an ALDL port to us on say my '66 Wagon.

How bout them apples Progressive. Quit jacking with your hair there Flo and give me a discount!

PS. My drivers license photo looks better than yours, and AAA is where it's at. They support us car guys.
            "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
              I'm totally cool with this on the one hand because I drive like a Grandma most of the time. BUT........

Since I'm a total shit disturber, and only own one car built in the last 4 decades, I'm not worried about big brother. I say bring it big boy. What does piss me off, and makes me want to shoot a video about it, is the fact that I'm being punished for driving something old and don't have the opportunity to be rewarded for my fine driving habits since I don't have an ALDL port to us on say my '66 Wagon.

How bout them apples Progressive. Quit jacking with your hair there Flo and give me a discount!

PS. My drivers license photo looks better than yours, and AAA is where it's at. They support us car guys.
              I'm with AAA as well. My rates have only dropped with them. Only their collector car insurance has gotten tougher requirements due to high cost cars being stolen in large numbers. But if they ever want to lojack my ass, they will have to kiss it first.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

One of the things I love about my truck: Not a single thing on it is computer controlled, hell, even the choke is manual! Go ahead, try to hook that machiavelian device up to it.

Weird thing is, driving it I tend to go 5mph under the speed limit. Never in my life has that happened to me before.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

This is a big thing now....OBD III has a provision where a roadside transmitter will tell "the man" what your vehicle status is as you drive past it. You would get a letter in the mail saying you are "out of compliance". OR - if you are far enough 'out of compliance' they could then either turn off your vehicle, send you a message through your hands-free audio system, OR - have a patrol officer intercept you. Revenue generated by "The Man" auto-matically... ain't that great?

What about the new Smart Electric Meter? it is a two way device that records all of your electric usage - when and how much - and if the utility determines that it doesn't like the temp in your house, well then, ... they can simply change it to what they like and deem as appropriate for you. ain't that GREAT!!! ? all in the name of being GREEN... they are pushing this tech heavily in this area of OHIO right now... they will install one and hook up your A/C - furnace - to it so they can turn off your shit when they feel its neccessary. you get a $5 discount each month if you have it installed - woohoo! all we really need is some legislative action to make this mandatory for all of us... i can't wait.

its comin' folks... just you wait an see. big business will control EVERY aspect of our lives and determine who when and where we are forced to spend our dollars.

did ya hear about the new law where its now a FELONY to protest anywhere the secret service is "protecting" someone...?

free speech is on its way out the door too.
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

They have that "Energy Conservation Plan" here too. They hook up some gismo to your A/C, turn it off for 30 minutes at a time during peak hours and you get the $5 discount per month.

I'll spend the $5 and more to be in control of my own thermostat, regardless of the season.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Big Brother is all around us! We are getting much closer to a revolution than most people think.
                      Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post

Smoke much crack, Chad?

Seriously, Dude, I think these guys raise some valid points. And factor in when laws and technology eventually converge to replace pump fuel taxes with road use taxes (based on transponder reports of miles driven -- no ALDL port will be necessary), and there will be way too much "data" in the hands of Big Insurance and Government for my taste.

Virtually all insurance companies have a history of discriminating against hot rodders and musclecars (GEICO and Progressive being historically a pair of the worst). Even AAA hasn't always been pristine on our issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                          They have that "Energy Conservation Plan" here too. They hook up some gismo to your A/C, turn it off for 30 minutes at a time during peak hours and you get the $5 discount per month.

I'll spend the $5 and more to be in control of my own thermostat, regardless of the season.
                          someone tries to turn my AC off at peak hours here and someone is gonna get a double tap to the back of the skull...105 degrees outside and a house with no isulation and they want to turn me off...I dont think so.
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                            someone tries to turn my AC off at peak hours here and someone is gonna get a double tap to the back of the skull...105 degrees outside and a house with no isulation and they want to turn me off...I dont think so.

Yeah see my first post ,they can do the same thing with this shit too. Stick this up in there too.

Comment

I fought and bled for this country. Even the name 'Progressive' p!sses me off......Big Brother being promoted by an over-made-up humanoid....bah.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X