Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much power have you got out of a mechanical fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much power have you got out of a mechanical fuel pump?

I am in the planning stages of my next big block and have been thinking about the fuel system. It will be a naturally aspirated 502 and am looking for about 550 hp. The block does have the boss for a mechanical fuel pump and that is what I would like to use due to the simplicity and a stock tank. Some aftermarket mechanical pumps claim to handle this power and do not require a regulator. I would like to get by with out a regulator because I dont want to deadhead the pump and i do not want to run a return line to the tank. I am sure others would tell me to just run the bypass regulator and a return line but I do not want to if I dont have to. So has anyone made this kind of power with a mechanical fuel pump and no regulator? If so which one? Thanks in advance!

Mc- I am running a 468 BBC in my 1967 Camaro RS/SS. I am running a Holley Mechanical Fuel Pump with no issues. My car was dyno'd on an Engine Dyno, not a Chassis Dyno, putting out 611HP & 618 FT LBS of TQ. I am running a regulator, but no return line. In fact, I am running a stock Polished Stainless Steel Tank. My fuel lines are half Braided Stainless Steel & half Polished Aluminum that I custom bent. I run 6LBS of fuel pressure & I've never once experienced fuel issues once I went with a larger fuel pump. I actually picked this one up straight from the Holley guys on last years Power Tour while we were in Valdosta.

I have my billet fuel filter coming directly off my dual feed line on the carburetor. The regulator serves as a 90 degree turn for the fuel line going to the pump. It's a very clean, professional look and you have the filter and regulator as close as possible to the carburetor.

Some guys will tell you to go electrical, but I like to keep things simple. I'll post detailed pictures is my set-up in the morning.
    Last edited by Bucky67; July 13, 2012, 08:16 PM.
    sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
    - George Orwell

Comment

You can supply well more than 550 with right mechanical pump and well engineered plumbing. But, you really need to focus on tank pick up location, line size and avoiding big vertical changes in Line location. You are asking the pump to draw effectively from the Tank at the back of the car, and the float bowls will let you crutch the occasional low fuel levels.

I lke electric return style pumps because of the ease of use and consistency of fuel temp and supply. They are more complicated and expensive. Mechanical can work, go big on the filter.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I used to run this pump http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M4891/ and was probably just south of 500 hp... I had no issues until my old rusty gas tank clogged it up with rust and killed it, then a second one. I fed it with a 1/2" line. A racing buddy didn't think it would work, but I made the analogy of drinking from a narrow straw and from a McDonald's straw (when they used to have fat straws)... sucking through the larger diameter straw got a lot more volume . My 307 car originally had a 5/16" line.

I have, however, read about people having issues with the really high volume mechanical pumps over on the Chevelle website - mushrooming fuel pump pushrods, so be careful and do research. Perhaps go to the teamchevelle website (sorry Brian) and do a search in the "performance" section. Tons of big inch big, big power, big block guys over there with lots of experience to share.

Comment

You can return to the inlet of the pump. No reason to go all the way back to the tank, just add a 'tee' anywhere in the line or at the inlet fitting of the pump.
          A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Running an Eddy mechanical on the W motor......647 hp.......3/8 line
            and no issues.
            Agree with Bill on the filter.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

mechanical pumps ? very model t

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                mechanical pumps ? very model t
                I thought the Model T was a gravity feed? Didn't know they had pumps.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  I thought the Model T was a gravity feed? Didn't know they had pumps.
                  true. I even tried that on a 1987 1.8 liter..positive rake suspension.

bangshift has a blog post where chad tours a factory. There is a mechanical pump that is not like oem in appearance or function meant for high performance. (I never saw one before, but they do exist, it is in the video)
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Update W/ Pics

MC1984- Here is the set up that I'm running on Jade. Like I said, I've never had an issue, and that includes launching at the drag strip.

Fuel pump: Holley 130gph Part# 12-454-13
                    Regulator: Holley Adjustable 4-9lbs Part# 12-803
                    Fuel Lines: 3/8 Braided Stainless Steel
                    Fuel Filter: Edelbrock Inline

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.
                    sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
                    - George Orwell

Comment

thanks beeg ...just bringing up the primitive nature

Comment

Finally....Pics

MC- I've finally managed to upload some pics for you.... Sorry about the delay man.

Have a good weekend!!
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

I remember that fuel pump!
                          I R Bob
                          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Thanks to everyone that answerd my question and thanks for the pictures. As far as it being "primitive" I dont care I am looking for a simple, dependable and cost effective fuel system. I want to do it right and I dont want to sump my tank or put in a fuel cell. My block has the boss for the mechanical pump so I dont see any reason to spend more money on a pump or regulator and I also dont want to have to run a return line if I dont have to since I am going to use hard stainless tubing. Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                              I remember that fuel pump!
                              Ha Ha.... I remember changing that out in the hotel parking lot in Valdosta. I'm just thankful that the Holley guys hooked me up. Good times Bob...
                              sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X