No announcement yet.

Pop Quiz: What does this car need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it needs a mailbox scoop on the carbs and I'd keep the front bumper otherwise I echo the wheel sentiment.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Actually the bumper delete and the rocket hood ornament delete really worked IMHO. And with the black out wheels on the back the white walls suddenly play, who knew.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        It's like women and shoes....the wheels have to match the occasion
        Oh come on Jim, be a trend setter not a follower, I'm digging the Centerlines, that looks great!
        sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

yeah, it just needs to be instagrammed!

With slicks and the (now) black rally wheels on back. The slots in the rallys disappear when you paint them black, like magic.

BAD ASS, I knew the white walls would work once the black rims made it on the back...Nice.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
            Oh come on Jim, be a trend setter not a follower, I'm digging the Centerlines, that looks great!
            I tried that at one of these get togethers, it didn't go well.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

put the white walls on the inside,,,,i like the black steel rear wheels,,,has that street car in race trim look,like what the early gasser where....leave the pumper off ..maybe some front spring spacers...doesnt need to be nose bleed high,,just alittle .....a old drag boat scoop would be cool,,,

Comment

Keep in mind that I'm heading to the HAMB drags in a month....
                you going after the ya hoo cup?? I think thats what its called. Ill be there for sure, I wish more BS'ers could be there
                I go every year mokan's only 17 miles from me
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Having matching wheels front and back is definitely something that happened after the period I'm aiming at. Seriously...dig thru some old hot rod magazines from the 60s and look at the pics.

I'm probably not going to do the axle thing. I'm not cutting the wheel wells either, this car survived all these years with them intact...and besides I did cut up the inner wheelwells a little, it has about 3" more clearance inside than it did originally.

These tires are the first ones I've had mounted "white out" for decades. It was fun telling the tire guy to mount them that way. He got it, though.
                  I'm with you - no need to radius the wells. There are enough TLBT / AG cars out there... are the slicks pie cutters? That'd fit the way I remember the shoebox at the neighborhood parts store in the early 70's. He was way high though, straight axle, which I wouldn't do either.
                  Last edited by Beagle; July 15, 2012, 06:28 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm loving the black steelies on back. I personally, however, would try to make them not "rallys" but rather something from the early sixties, widened w/ visible welds.

Centerlines and rallys both got a bit overused in the eighties although they still look good if that's the era you're looking for. Matching front-and-rear wheels/tires was for rich kids in the sixties, mis-match was groovy if done right.

Could use a handfull of gennie decals in the rr quarter windows, but really I would only make a suggestion on this car, because you asked! It's always looked great.

Hey, I flew over Sierra Vista a few weeks ago, at 40,000 ft. so I couldn't check what yard is yours by, say, looking for huge round motorhomes. Interesting terrain around there.

Comment

Now it needs a trophy
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                        .maybe some front spring spacers...doesnt need to be nose bleed high,,just alittle .....a old drag boat scoop would be cool,,,
                        There isn't much more "up" travel, these springs put it the front about 2" above stock, and there's barely enough room for a snubber between the upper A arm and frame. I'd probably need ball joint spacers to go higher. I got lucky and the springs are just about right for what I wanted to do, first try.

The drag boat scoop is a good idea...but only for the races, I want the air cleaners on for driving.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Also thanks everyone for the comments! It looks like a lot of you get it. One good thing about a 55 chevy is that it's hard to screw it up, they look neat no matter what you do to them.

I agree about needing some different rear wheels, I just don't know if I want to spend a couple hundred bucks more. I ended up dropping quite a bit of money on the parts for the new 3rd member. Also I think I need to buy a radiator, it started leaking recently.

btw I weighed the bumper and brackets and hood bird....about 35 lbs. I'm also thinking about ditching the heater for the rest of the summer. And the back seat may become optional too, but I'm not sure yet.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Seriously going for 10's?
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

How about I ship you a carb and a couple gallons of nitro?
                              Originally posted by TC
                              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

With the black wheels and the bumper delete, the white walls work. Changes the entire character of the car with just that little bit. You must have as many wheels laying around as I do, my problem is they are all holding something up.

Comment

Working...
                                X