Help! UK English to USA English Translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! UK English to USA English Translation

My Daughter and SIL are stationed at Mildenhall RAF,they decided to take thier Ford Flex and they just had the MOT inspection,it passed,lights converted etc... so all should be well except the inspector said the right front spindle was loose and it needs to be replaced. The Inspector (?) tightened it and said that was like repairing a tire instead of replacing it(?).The Flex is FWD WTF is he talking about? My first thought was what we call the Half Shafts,my next thought was CV joints.

I talked with both my daughter and SIL and explained how to listen for odd noises from the front while turning,starting and stopping and just shifting from reverse to drive.

But,Spindle loose and he TIGHTENED it....

My limited understanding of MOT is if it was trully broken they would not get the sticker so WTH...

Was there a charge for the work?
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
      Was there a charge for the work?
      They paid about 200 pounds for the light mods and 80 or so for the MOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
        They paid about 200 pounds for the light mods and 80 or so for the MOT.
        Just wondering if they got scammed?

Paying for work not really needed.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

probably bearing loose. spindle from the shaft.

this story seems familiar.

alot of foriegn cars, they got lights within lights..wionder why they don't come on with a blinker?

euro inspection is why. they get north american and euro mixed up.

the lights often are shared circuits right under the hood. something cheapskate to splice around..
          reminds me to get little side blinkers working. I have light within a light. took me awhile to figure that out..

a positive rake wagon with blinkers buried in a 80s bumper sticking way out there. lights are buried in the bumper. dark out can see them, but daylight..one of these times I'll probably get run into.

thank you europe.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
            Just wondering if they got scammed?

Paying for work not really needed.
            I think they COULD have been on the way to being scammed,but my daughter questions EVERYTHING (wonder where that came from?) hey we got the MOT sticker WTH?
            She was not there when the inspection was done so she cant even say "they pointed at this".
            I told them to pay attention for odd sounds and vibrations,then go from there.

b3m,
            In a way I think the EURO lights are preinstalled they only have to be turned on....

Comment

Those vehicles have a sealed hub and bearing on the front, nothing to adjust. Either the bearing is pooched (we've had a few at the dealership), or it isn't ... nothing can be tightened.

cheers
              Ed
              Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
              07 Mustang GT with some stuff
              88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Could they be referring to a loose lug nut?
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ball joint?
                  "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

I suggest you study up on British car part terms.by watching every episode of Wheeler Dealers. Take notes because you will get quizzed later by your daughter next time her car needs fixing.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I think the translation means he tightened the muffler bearing.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Really good idea about watching wheeler dealers ! You can friend Mike Brewer (the host) on facebook. Maybe even get his mechanic-Ed China to work on the car ! That guy is a great mechanic too!

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                          Really good idea about watching wheeler dealers ! You can friend Mike Brewer (the host) on facebook. Maybe even get his mechanic-Ed China to work on the car ! That guy is a great mechanic too!
                          Those dudes are awesome-cool..........I think Mike thrives on 5 hour energy drinks
                          Thom

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                            I think I'll do this,do they expose scamming mechanics too?

On the Flex MOT inspection,does the car owner get a list of problems in writing normally even if it passes? They got nothing.

Comment

Working...
                            X