Al Eckstrand is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Eckstrand is dead

Al "The Lawman" Eckstrand, legendary Super Stock racer from the 1960's has died.

Eckstrand was a wicked racer and a guy who did a TON with the armed forces traveling with his car to places like Vietnam to greet the troops, entertain them and talk about the importance of safe driving for when they got home.

The interesting thing about Eckstrand was that he worked as a lawyer for Chrysler before becoming a kick ass drag racer.

He's in the drag racing hall of fame, deservedly so.

A sad list for 2008 has gained another entry.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Al Eckstrand is dead

Wow... Not a good year for Hot Rod Legends.

Doesn't Bill Goldberg own the original "Lawman"?

He did a lot for soldiers and sailors alike.

Sad news.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

He was a friend and I'll miss him.

A few thoughts ....

He used to credit me with keeping him in the sport as a result of a conversatiuon we had in 1961 when he was relaively new in the sport.

He was also a "knights of the realm" enthusiast who once kicked Henry "the Deuce" Ford's wife off a plan seat beacuse he occupied it with a FULL SUIT OF ARMOR he was taking home from Engkand!

Al bought and restored three British Isles castles - yes historic and very OLD ones - two made it to their Registry of Historic Places. The third was in Scotland and he turned part of the surrounding acreage into a literal "tank farm". Al also loved WWII battle tanks. Bought a bunch of them and leased them to London stock brokers and they'd play "war" on the weekends. Think of being Al's neighbor in Scotland and waking up some morning to the clank-clank of rumbling tanks and seeing about a dozen of those dudes coming over the hill at you! Happened more than once I'm told.

You know about his racing exploits ... but now you know ... THE REST OF THE STORY!

Gonna miss you pal - Godspeed.

Comment

May he rest in peace and may God bless his family and loved ones.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Jon....THANKS for the story about Al!

Please don't be a stranger around here as you have scads of great stories to tell, hopefully we hear more pre-mortem than post (about the subject of the story that is) :-X

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

The legends are headed for that great big racetrack in the sky...time for us to step up and carry on what they started.

Hope there aren't any more additions, at least for a while yet.........

Comment

Working...
            X