Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now I really am white trash. $87 paint booth in the driveway

Originally posted by Fordplay0621
    I did the same thing in Amarillo, TX. except I did it in the Garage. Stapled all that plastic up, Ducted the Air Conditioner for fresh air. and vented out through a filter in the doorway. 4 Day weekend and drove it to work on Tuesday. (Looked like a Million Bucks).

Go get a permit and Frame it in.
    LOL me too in Amarillo.... because that's where I live. I just shot it in the garage with the door open....no fans, no plastic... over spray everywhere. Luckily, my garage was pretty sheltered from the wind and it turned out pretty good. :D
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

a friend of mine turns out show quality (he's routinely paid $4000 for labor) paint jobs out of his garage.

plastic hanging from the ceiling - weighted at the bottom to the floor - in one window he has furnace filters - fan on the OUTSIDE blowing in - in another window on the opposite side he has more furnace filters to allow for cross ventillation.

He doesn't use water based paint, and last I checked he was still using old school high pressure guns.

He uses base clear and wetsands / buffs any imperfections out of the clear - and his cars turn out great.

I see no reason not to use a set up like this - but, I'd set it up inside - you just never know when it's going to rain / get windy and kick up dust.

SO -- where are the "after" pictures??? ;D ;D
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
        If you were REALLY white trash you would have skipped the booth and just sprayed the car.

thank you sir for the complement.....what am i though if i used 15 rattle cans of low gloss black? besides blowing black snot for a week

Comment

Originally posted by milner351

plastic hanging from the ceiling - weighted at the bottom to the floor - in one window he has furnace filters - fan on the OUTSIDE blowing in - in another window on the opposite side he has more furnace filters to allow for cross ventillation.
          That's what I did with the Falcon - hung plastic, used 20x20 furnace filters on the windows with two 20" box fans blowing in, exhaust out the front door. Worked for me. 4 hours in a paint suit in a hot garage will give you respect for people that do it for a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76
            L98, no, actually I have not had issues with the primer flaking...now that you mention it.
            I am using some stuff from Keystone, from a recomendation from my buddy that runs a shop.
            I forget, but I am going outside here in a few minutes, will have to look at the stuff.

Ryan, it seems about EVERY thing is gonna get you guys a ticket in California...LOL... ;D

I have shot cars in conditions alot worse than this before, but just trying to keep stuff clean and neat. I more or less know a couple of the cops here that come through the neighborhood alot patroling, and no problems.
            Lots of odd looks though.

Yeah, california has ALOT of laws.

Comment

[quote=RyanWalker ]
              Originally posted by Eliteman76
              L98, no, actually I have not had issues with the primer flaking...now that you mention it.
              I am using some stuff from Keystone, from a recomendation from my buddy that runs a shop.
              I forget, but I am going outside here in a few minutes, will have to look at the stuff.

AHHH HA!

That's my problem. I see you're using 100% virgin solvents by the description on the label. My results sucked because I used 100% old used up truck stop trolling solvents.

Man, I'm learning new stuff around here every day! ;D

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                Originally posted by mikeasis
                put a box fan facing out on each end and you could have it made!
                Have it made alright....have it made into a bomb. Aren't the paint vapors flammable? Seems like a box fan would be kinda dangerous. Maybe I'm wrong....just seems dicey.

Brian
                They certainly are, that's why body shop fans are explosion proof fans, and why they cost so much.
                I love selling overhead doors on paintbooths. Those explosion proof operators are expensive, as well. Good for the bottom line.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                X