BangShift Gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangShift Gym

Seems to be quite a few of us that are either losing weight and getting in shape or have been keeping a regular routine for awhile. Lets hear what you're into and any tips or tricks you've figured out. I don't care if you're hitting the gym, riding a bike, into martial arts, eating better, or just go for a walk at night.
    I'm probably wrong

I joined a gym recently to get rid of the spare tire I've been lugging around for over a decade. Been going at least 5 times a week, but no real routine other than just doing it. Started out doing 20 minutes of cardio every day and alternating upper body one day, legs the next, and core the next day. Gave me plenty of time for the muscles and joints to recover before punishing them again, but it drew out the visible results a lot. Just switched to upper body one day, legs/ core the next. If it gets too much I'll just go back to the three day cycle.

With a bad shoulder, messed up ankle, and arthritis I'm not going balls out, just taking it slow and gradual. Going late at night, really early in the morning the place is empty. Helps me not feel like a total wuss when I don't have to work out next to someone that can bench press a Buick. With my ankle and knee issues I've been sticking to a stationary bike for cardio, no impact helps a lot. Glucosamine/chondroitan pills every day have helped tremendously with knee and hip pain, too.
    Last edited by tedly; July 19, 2012, 12:15 PM.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

What's your routine tedly? Machines or free weights?

About 2 years ago I started going to the gym with an employee of mine who is a retired Marine drill instructor. I was kicking butt for about 3 months then we did some lower back exercises that put me in the hospital for a week. Since then I've been pretty lax in my gym attendance, and I only ride the Elliptical for 30 minutes when I go. It's doing nothing for me at this low rate, I am still a fatass. I want to get back into it, but it's clear I am gonna need to join weight watchers or some similar shit where other people hound me about what I eat. I lack self discipline to make it happen on my own!
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Lmao! That's one of the reasons I started this thread Geek, kind of like starting a project thread. Figured we might be able to keep each other motivated when we are feeling like slackers.

I'm sticking with machines for now. I have no idea what the actual weight I've been using is and don't want to know. The slabs are unmarked and it would just depress me to know how weak I've become right now! It also varies from day to day depending on how bad my body is acting up. Good days I put on another slab or 2, bad days I keep it dialed back and just focus on getting through it. I start at one side and just do 3 laps of the machines with 10 reps each. When it gets easy I add another slab for the first 2 laps and go back to the lighter weight on the 3rd until I can do at least 8 reps on the last lap. Not real scientific I know, but I'm just focusing on actually doing it and staying in a routine right now. It's working too. I feel weird whenever I take a night off.
        Last edited by tedly; July 19, 2012, 12:29 PM.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Exercise is only 1/2 the game to lose and/or maintain optimal weight. The other 1/2 is what you pump into your trap...it's the calories. A typical size grown man needs only about 2,500 calories a day....certainly, that can vary on your level of activity, etc. Sooo... exercise and watch what you eat.
          Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Last year I finally decided to do something about being 260#.My youngest wanted to joint a local taekwondo school and asked if I would do it with him.A year later I am 240 ,a level2 blue belt ,have regained an amazing amount of flexibility and am carrying a lot more muscle mass.I am also running a couple of miles a week.I just turned 46 and am in some of the best condition of my life.Plus taekwondo is fun and stress relieving.Get out there and find something you like and do it.My goal is 230 by Christmas.Btw I am 6'4".

Comment

I power lifted for years........was more into competing in the bench press.
              My best was 335.
              I was a gym rat for years....started when I was 37.

Fast forward today I walk everyday for an hour.....about 4 miles....try to maintain a 4 mph pace.
              Then I do free weights for about another 30 minutes...more for keeping tone.
              When I'm on the road I have routes that I walk and use Jog Tracker on my cell phone..........then do push ups when I
              get back to the room.

One thing I would consider is a heart monitor.......to measure your heart beat.
              If you're wanting to lose weight need to get the heart pumping.

I take about 10 different suppliments a day.

And absolutely no sodas and I avoid (when possible) anything with fructose...high corn syrup.
              Last edited by Monk; July 19, 2012, 03:13 PM.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I used to be able to eat whatever, drink whatever, and still not gain wait. That was back when I was doing a lot of manual labor on the farm. Now, I sit a a desk most of the day, and when I do get up, it's just walking and taking some measurements. I put on almost 30 pounds, but wasn't too concerned until I tried wearing my .22 revolver around the farm like I used to and my 'spare tire' wanted to occupy the same space that was traditionally reserved for the .22. That was about 2 months ago. From that point, I decided to go on hikes at state parks just to keep my activity level up. Figured that'd help and it's not boring, but the weekends have been busy since and I only made it once so far. The past week I've replaced iced tea with water for lunch and throughout the day. It's working because I'm a pound or two lower since, but I just need to find time to keep hitting the trails. I'm confident that if I went every weekend, I'd be down about 6 pounds by now. That climbing a mountain sure ain't as easy as it used to be.

Comment

Im 22 now, been working out regularly since i was 13. Been doing catch wrestling bout three years and boxing about two. Traveled around and did several MMA cage fights around a year ago. Still in the gym bout five times a week. Doing heavy compounds for 2-5 reps, oly lifts and boxing. Ive squatted 315 for a set of 5 at 145lbs bodyweight. I fought at 145lbs, dropping from 155ish for a couple years. Im round 165 now.
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Crossfit. 3 years. Best shape of my life at 41.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M

Find one near you. http://map.crossfit.com/

Description in 100 words:
                    Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.
                    1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
                      Im 22 now, been working out regularly since i was 13. Been doing catch wrestling bout three years and boxing about two. Traveled around and did several MMA cage fights around a year ago. Still in the gym bout five times a week. Doing heavy compounds for 2-5 reps, oly lifts and boxing. Ive squatted 315 for a set of 5 at 145lbs bodyweight. I fought at 145lbs, dropping from 155ish for a couple years. Im round 165 now.
                      I am lightweight too..it did take a serious downfall to end up there. 160s would be normal for whatever god gave me for bones. I am 20 under at all times.
                      being light, "heavy" stuff and repetitions fpr my given puniness, I find is easy as getting through a day of normal chores. the real work is loosening up my leathery existence.

stretch like on 80s tv excersize show.
                      I think I even move my lung round.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 19, 2012, 05:40 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I used to be in good fighting shape, about 235 lbs. and military strong. Then I hurt my back, and took two years off to try and heal it. Then I grew moobs.

After maxing out at 308 lbs, I bit the bullet and got a trainer here in WA for the summer. So now I'm doing cardio (elliptical/5mph walk) for 65 min on MWF, circuit training T-Th. I do a lot of arm/shoulder, heavy leg, and I have to be creative with abdominal workouts. I'm also doing some severe leg stretching, I forget what it's called but it basically keeps the leg straight as the foot is moved toward the top of my head. When I'm in Arizona I also spend weekends hiking and scrambling...good full-body workouts. I have to be careful with my eating habits though...I'm not used to not eating like it's the end of the world.
                        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

at one point I hurt my shoulder, I dropped from 155 to 135. I'm an ecto.

I fear for the day if I ever hurt my back

Comment

at one point I hurt my shoulder, I dropped from 155 to 135. I'm an ecto.

I fear for the day if I ever hurt my back

Comment

I'm 6' weigh 165-170 pounds eat what ever I want when ever. My weight has been the same for years. But my job is physical, I'm an electrician and I'm always climbing ladders, crawling through crawl spaces, attics or what ever. The last 2 weeks I've been installing 2X4 light fixtures in 10' ceilings. Before that I was removing all the old lighting fixtures.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X