It's a matter of time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a matter of time.

They've been saying this for years but doesnt it seem very close to reality now?

Bay Area drivers could one day be tracked using a GPS-like device in their cars and taxed per miles driven - a scenario which is part of a proposed long-range study aimed at finding ways to reduce traffic and pollution, while also raising revenues.

Don't discount this as a California thing either,.. What starts there usually spreads. I'll keep it non political out of respect of this forum, but we all know who starts this crap....
    Powertour off/on since 2002
    sigpic

too many hybrids, they're not getting enough fuel tax....
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Californians aren't any more interested than any one else in the country in being lojacked by the gov't so they can get taxed more, especially $.10 a mile. The real hysteria is that governor has put a bill on the Nov. ballot so we can vote to tax ourselves more.

There are those that believe that everyone should own an electric car, a bicycle, and yoga pants. They also believe that their ideas should be forced on others for their own good.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I think the Patent Office should start taxing your imagination
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          Californians aren't any more interested than any one else in the country in being lojacked by the gov't so they can get taxed more, especially $.10 a mile. The real hysteria is that governor has put a bill on the Nov. ballot so we can vote to tax ourselves more.

There are those that believe that everyone should own an electric car, a bicycle, and yoga pants. They also believe that their ideas should be forced on others for their own good.
          sounds like.... oh wait, I probably shouldn't say anything religical

My dad has been harping on this lately - I'll have to ask him where he heard it or if he was thinking out loud. He said it the other day and I looked at him like he was crazy. He was also talking about Arkansas and OTR truckers where if you didn't stop and buy gas in Arkansas, ie, just drove through it, they would hit you with a road tax.

They try to take care of it here with tolls. Every new road here is a tollway (Texas, thank you Rick.)

Bishir - IT does seem to be coming all right. IT scares the hell out of me - IT has happened before, the last really good IT I can compare it to was about 237 years ago for similar reasons.

I'm stopping here. Agree with every comment so far and I'll go religi-politi in a heartbeat if I type much more.
          Last edited by Beagle; July 20, 2012, 05:05 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            too many hybrids, they're not getting enough fuel tax....
            and biodiesel, alcohol, and pure electrics down here. That's what fired up the conversation with my Dad the other day. Pure electrics are getting the range to get me back and forth to work or the lake. I'm actually considering one, and was talking to dad about it. I was teasing him - "I'll get a wind generatator and solar panels to charge them - I'll keep two of the damn things so I can always have one charged"

He retorts with "They'll start taxing by the mile"
            Last edited by Beagle; July 20, 2012, 05:10 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Never happen here in NY ,they get 6.50 to cross a bridge -each way ! Bend over !

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                Never happen here in NY ,they get 6.50 to cross a bridge -each way ! Bend over !
                wanna bet on that? Its a money maker that's all. Tax and spend, tax and spend, tax and spend, ....... infinitum.

You see.... no business survives without reapeat business and all businesses try to grow their business...

when you are a legislater, you legislate...more laws equal more business. more TAX laws equal more money for the business to grow bigger.

the problem is sheople. the type that don't pay attention to what's going on, don't watch the news and generally live in their own little world cause its easier. and the other type that believe thier ideas are better (for whatever reason) than others and therefore they have the right to force the ideas on others.... those are the folks that feel the sheople need to be corralled, cajoled, or otherwise convinced to follow thier view of society. each type needs the other.

if you feel an issue is wrong you must actively participate in the spreading of your viewpoint. if you don't...you're part of the problem.

and you will be taxed and controlled accordingly, because there is money to be (ed- MADE) from folks like that...you'll have your pocket picked.
                and told what kind of pockets you can wear....certainly not those kind with the button closures.
                Last edited by oldsman496; July 20, 2012, 06:56 AM.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Wonder what difference it would make if fuel taxes were only used for roads and bridges, not for walkways, bike paths, mass transit and all the other non related things they are spent on. Not saying these things are bad just shouldn't be paid for with fuel tax.

Comment

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
                    Wonder what difference it would make if fuel taxes were only used for roads and bridges, not for walkways, bike paths, mass transit and all the other non related things they are spent on. Not saying these things are bad just shouldn't be paid for with fuel tax.
                    I'm with you here...
                    Bikers (pedalers) answer this question please.. I don't ride so don't know/understand..
                    Why do bicycles ride on the fog line when there is a perfectly good bike path 4 feet away?
                    Not trying to start WW3.. i just wonder...

Comment

I honestly think this would be a fair way to distribute the tax burden... (i don't wanna be monitored though) If I don't drive much then i shouldn't have to pay much in tax... that sounds fair... and a fuel tax accomplishes that - really.

But the fuel tax is not enough for the govt. they won't get rid of the fuel taxes when this is implemented. they will tack this on as an additional revenue generator... and that sucks ...imo....

ed- and they will also prolly charge you for the device to hook up to your car... at license plate renewal time, i would guess.
                      Last edited by oldsman496; July 20, 2012, 11:20 AM.
                      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Want to have fun? Here is the federal budget breakdown.. http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/budget_gs.php

Infrastructure isn't the problem.....
                        Powertour off/on since 2002
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          I'm with you here...
                          Bikers (pedalers) answer this question please.. I don't ride so don't know/understand..
                          Why do bicycles ride on the fog line when there is a perfectly good bike path 4 feet away?
                          Not trying to start WW3.. i just wonder...
                          I'll take that one Bob. Back when I rode, I rode as far to the right as I could to stay out of the way, and there was never any such thing as a bike lane anywhere on the eastern seaboard at the time.

And the light tires I was trying to ride would go flat, running over all of the debris that was kicked over there by all the cars. Traffic-filled streets/roads are self-cleaning. The stuff either ends up on the centerline of a two-lane, or toward the shoulder, one or the other.

I complained to the guys at the bike store about how the tires were just flimsy (and pricey) and to a man they told me - "RIDE IN THE TRAFFIC GROOVE!"

No. Forget it, I'm staying as far out of the way as I can.

Just to maybe answer the question, the bike lane could have lots of stuff in it to puncture riders' tires. It MAY not be the "I'm an A-Hole in a fancy suit with a fancy bike so I'm not using that wimpy bike lane" thing. It MAY not. Or it may. I tried to ride with some "bike club" members back then and I was neither impressed by their social skills or their care for others, if that's polite enough. I've never seen a whole uhh subculture of folks who were so narcissistic. Practically pick their noses out loud at anyone who had a less expensive bike. Maybe just in that one little town, but they were exactly that way.

I rode because I wanted to get away from things. And I stayed out of the way of traffic because I didn't want to die doing it. But I had a whole lot of flat tires staying alive.
                          Last edited by pdub; July 20, 2012, 01:56 PM.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Thanks for answering.. Makes some sense.. Except now and then, I see a small street sweeper go on the bike lanes, kicking up dust..
                            With that in mind..shouldn't your bike be puncture free?

Comment

Originally posted by bishir View Post
                              Want to have fun? Here is the federal budget breakdown.. http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/budget_gs.php

Infrastructure isn't the problem.....
                              those wild leaps.
                              why not get out of the crazy apocolyptic websites and read the govs:

consumer price index

the vets got a 1.9 cola, i assume ssi is going to be close to that as well.

as that goes up... bullshit taxes do as well. gas and cars seems to be an easy one for some reason. sure. blame that "slow refinery" again.

gov not only pays, they hoard to increase value of dollar. that means there is a giant chunk doing nothing...
                              and that means there is a thief outsmarting all us dumb people.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X