MP3 Vs Ipod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3 Vs Ipod

I saw a similar thread, but I think what I'm looking for as far as answers differs. I only know the very basics about computers and other gizmos. So, from a dummy perspective, which will be easiest for me to download music and play it back? My plan(?) is to just download (w/a friend's help) music from my CD's to my computer and onto the gizmo I choose. So, which may be easier for this dummy to transfer music to and play it back (volume/tone/skipping over songs, etc)? Thanks
    STUGOTS

I guess it depends if you want to deal with Apple software (iTunes) or not.

An iPod is an mp3 player. But not all mp3 players are iPods.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I dont mind Ipods, but ITUNES sucks.

It is the software used to load songs on your Ipod, Groucho.

If there is an easy way to copy cd's to your Ipod via Ituns someone please post it.
      Last edited by nesabo; July 20, 2012, 10:58 AM.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

software, Itunes....I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Re-read my orig post....about me being a dummy. Speak English please
        STUGOTS

Comment

To get music on you IPOD, you connect it to your computer, which you would need to have the ITUNEs software installed. Itunes then has the music listed that is on your computer, whether you downloaded it or copied it from CD's. You then copy the music from your computer to your IPOD.

What I am saying since you stated "So, which may be easier for this dummy to transfer music to and play it back", you will not like using ITUNES to transfer music.
          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I use an MP3 player........it's easy and I've mastered downloading music.

I use mp3fiesta.com for most all my music.

They have the Billboard Top 100's from back in the '60's & 70's that I listen to mostly.

I've also have a turn table with a USB cable that I burn some albums off of
            and transfer to my mp3.

I just purchased a Sony and like it better than the Sandisk.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Buy a HiWay HiFi 45 rpm player, put it under the dash.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                Buy a HiWay HiFi 45 rpm player, put it under the dash.

When I was going to A School in Davisville, RI in '68.........I would hitch a ride with a guy
                in a '59 Impala vert.......he had one of this.
                Man I thought.......hi tech.
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Short version: An MP3 player will probably be easier and less hassle for you Groucho, but Ipods do have the advantage of lots of aftermarket support for all kinds of things.

Long version:

I've got an Ipod Shuffle, the little sucker that's about the size of a postage stamp. It's a cool little gizmo and convenient as hell, it holds about 10-12 hours of music, the battery lasts about the same amount of time, and it was only $50 when I got it a year ago. Biggest downfalls of it:
                  1. It only holds one playlist. Makes my gym time after work interesting when I'm working out and it's switches from Metallica to Jimmy Buffett to Slayer to Frank Sinatra. The more expensive models let you have different playlists loaded and choose between them so that wouldn't be an issue if you went with them.
                  2. It's convenient because it's so small, but I've lost it for a few days before when I emptied my pockets and tossed it in the change jar accidentally.
                  3. It has taken me a long time to download all my music to Itunes - the free software you need to run the thing. Ipods only play music in the Itunes format, all of the music you currently have should transfer, it just takes a while to do it. I have several hundred albums by the way, if you don't have that much it wouldn't take nearly as long.
                  4. You can buy & download individual songs or whole albums through Itunes, but when you do you can only play them on the Ipod or your computer. Regular mp3 players won't read them. However, any time you download a CD to your computer as an MP3, you can copy it to Itunes no problem. I use the Itunes store to find obscure songs or albums, but buy every thing else on CD's and just copy it.

Hope this helps and didn't confuse you. I'm fairly technlogically illiterate and I have little to no hassle either way.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                    software, Itunes....I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Re-read my orig post....about me being a dummy. Speak English please
                    iTunes is the program (aka software, I think its a free download) I still don't have a MP3 player but i guess my driod (smartphone) could be used as one. I used to convert my CDs to MP3s then burn them to CDs as MP3 files you can put tons of songs on them, some car CD players will read CDs with MP3s on them.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

mp3 is "easier" to load, and you can download from multiple sources.
                      Charles

Comment

so who's gonna explain to groucho how to rip CDs and then save them in a folder or library, then copy them to the mp3 player over the usb cable?

How about an 8 track?
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Try this Groucho and see if it helps

This would be for an mp3 player and transferring files (music)

dummies transforms the hard-to-understand into easy-to-use to enable learners at every level to fuel their pursuit of professional and personal advancement.
                          Thom

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                            I use an MP3 player........it's easy and I've mastered downloading music.

I use mp3fiesta.com for most all my music.

They have the Billboard Top 100's from back in the '60's & 70's that I listen to mostly.

I've also have a turn table with a USB cable that I burn some albums off of
                            and transfer to my mp3.

I just purchased a Sony and like it better than the Sandisk.
                            I just tried to sign up for that and they're not taking any new subscribers at this time
                            STUGOTS

Comment

Go here, put the URL of your favorite YouTube song(video) in the box, hit convert video and it will convert the YouTube video into a MP3..........

Comment

Working...
                              X