S-10 V-6 2.8 bellhousing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-10 V-6 2.8 bellhousing question

Is that bolt pattern shared with other more available transmissions? Thank you
    STUGOTS

no, and the manual transmission bellhousing is not the same as similar vintage Camaros
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

What are you trying to do?
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        What are you trying to do?
        I have an S-10 2.8 in my Model A truck. Behind it is an automatic that slips slightly going into 3rd. I have a good used TH350 from a 69 Firebird OHC 6 (BOP?) that I hope will fit. I'm so busy that I haven't had time to crawl under the "A" and take a look, so I thought I'd post here
        STUGOTS

Comment

The 2.8 uses a small bellhousing that is shared with some of the 4 cylinders, as well as the northstar, etc. It's mainly a front wheel drive thing, but was also used in the S-10 and some of the 80s camaros

The BOP transmissions won't fit. But there's an adapter. The 2.8 bellhousing is really small, so make sure there's enough room around it to fit the bigger transmission.

I think the 700 is the only automatic overdrive that fits the 2.8, they also made some Th200 transmissions that fit it, but they're probably pretty scarce these days.
          Last edited by squirrel; July 23, 2012, 11:41 AM.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

The 2.8 uses a small bellhousing that is shared with some of the 4 cylinders, as well as the northstar, etc. It's mainly a front wheel drive thing, but was also used in the S-10 and some of the 80s camaros

The BOP transmissions won't fit. But there's an adapter. The 2.8 bellhousing is really small, so make sure there's enough room around it to fit the bigger transmission.

I think the 700 is the only automatic overdrive that fits the 2.8, they also made some Th200 transmissions that fit it, but they're probably pretty scarce these days.
            OK, thanks for that. I'll take a look at trans mnt, clearance, and D'shaft issues before making that decision
            STUGOTS

Comment

Generally adapters are pretty expensive. Keep in mind you could go to Pick / Pull A Part and get a manual box and bell housing. But then you"ll have to change the front of your drive shaft if I remember correctly.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Be a good time to put a Ford engine and trans in the A!
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

tardis is the S-10 guru here, im sure he can offer some good insight on what can and cant be used, I was never a fan of the 2.8 V6 and never messed with them
                  Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Keep in mind that the manual trans suggestion will be dependent on what it comes out of, ie S10 vs Camaro, because the manual trans in the camaros were weird and laid over on their side a bit. Might not work in the A.
                    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

ecotec rwd 6 speed aisin trans from solstice.sky
                      northstar --5L40e from cts srs

Comment

Jim, those are computer controlled...not what groucho is into
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

The 2.8 is a 60 degree V6. Also the Camaro manual trans has the shifter at the rear, the trucks shifter is closer to the middle.
                          Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

I had an 82 camaro with a 2.5 four, and the Saginaw transmission, and I think the transmission was not tilted. I tossed the bellhousing...it's probably some rare valuable thing...oh well.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

I had an 82 camaro with a 2.5 four, and the Saginaw transmission, and I think the transmission was not tilted. I tossed the bellhousing...it's probably some rare valuable thing...oh well.
                              I think it was a BOP style if it was the Pontiac 4..
                              Only the v-6 was tilted.. Easy to tell when you look at the bell housing..it will be clocked off.

Comment

Working...
                              X