Quit my Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit my Job

As many of you know i've been going to school and working as a tech in an indy shop here in michigan. Several of you on this board (spidy) and a few techs I've worked with have stressed that I need to finish school and not be a tech for the rest of my life. Well I finally quit my job and I have 9 more months until Im finished with my bachelor degree. I figure this way I can pound out the rest of my classes and do some side work for cash (so i still have a life).

Anyway... I forgot how amazing it is to have your own tools at home so you can wrench on stuff. I've bought a lot of tools while working because i figure they will last the rest of my life, even if I don't make a living turning a wrench.

Fortunately, all of my tools are paid off, and I am hoping to FINALLY move out of my parents house when I graduate. And maybe get another car...

Here's a pic of my new setup at home.

Last edited by Woodward_Dreams; July 23, 2012, 01:45 PM.

awesome, keep your eyes on the prize.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      Exactly. You can always wrench on your own stuff for fun or do some side jobs here and there. Finish what you started at school and you'll be better off in the long run. Just a little longer man.

PS: DON'T SELL YOUR TOOLS! You just end up buying them again later.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        Amen!
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          Amen!
          +1

But it REALLY helps to be handy so you can make money on the side while doing the school thing.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

My sons just came to the same conclusions. They are both going to be going back full-time either in the fall, or next spring.

Of course that means that they are both moving home ...
            I'm still learning

Comment

Smart move on both parts...........education and keep the tools.
              Also agree with DG........handy to have to make some coin on the side.

All my kids, despite some balking, were all required to go onto
              get their degree.
              Funny how smart they think I am........now.

Good luck to ya.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

School is important... I forget why... Tools can feed you when times are lean..I don't mean to sell, as then your ability to feed yourself diminishes...
                Stick with it...why will show itself someday..

Comment

i wish i could make money on the side but the neighbors may frown upon a cat dozer in the driveway
                  Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                    i wish i could make money on the side but the neighbors may frown upon a cat dozer in the driveway
                    Park it in their living room.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Aren't you supposed to work on them where they break down? Like a huge mud pit...

Comment

Depends on the neighborhood. In ours, that guy is everyone's favorite. He also has a backhoe, grader and paddlewheel.
                        I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                          paddlewheel.
                          Does that translate to self-loading pan scraper?
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I've never heard that term, could be the same as they are self-propelled and self-loading. We do call them scrapers, also.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

lose control of the cat in the direction of your neighbor's house.... problem solved

about working while schooling - it's okay as long as you don't forget that school comes first. About 1/2 way through, there will be a huge temptation to say "screw it, I'm going to work full time." You'll say it for all the right reasons "school is dumb" "I know more then that teacher who's never worked in the real world" "this class is pointless for my degree" "I'd rather be partying with my friends." Those are just some of the excuses that can be used to drop out - I know, it's what happened to me and it postponed my degrees by 10 years. By way of comparision, and maybe this will help you get through - the pay potential of a college graduate vs. high school graduation is measured in MILLIONS of dollars for the employment of the college graduate. There are outliers for the hs grads, but the vast majority make at least 40x as much money as one without a degree.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X