No announcement yet.

Moving back in with the parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom lives in the sticks in a town of 7000 people. Not many jobs there. Stockton is 30 minutes away, Sacramento 1 hr, other towns 30-40 min. I don't see it happening. The only purpose would be to make similar money to get bills paid off and put serious money in the bank. Unless..... Craig Breedlove is hiring. His shop is in her town.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
      Perhaps a bit of a parents perspective to try to add some balance to this thread.

As I tell my sons (both of whom will have bounced back by January) "I know what you're thinking, I've been your age...You don't know what I'm thinking, you've never been my age."

The problem I have with my young adult sons moving back in is that they turn back into "children." They lived on their own, cleaned up after themselves, did their own laundry, mowed their own lawns, in other words took on the responsibilities of being an adult when they moved out.

When they move back in they bitch about doing any of the things they were doing when they were out on their own. I don't understand why they revert.

Yes, I get upset when the coming and going occurs at all hours of the night, both the Lovely Donna and I have to get up and go to work the next morning. So while I'm providing shelter, food, etc, if I ask that I be able to sleep undisturbed, why is that such an issue?

I get upset when I'm told that they don't have any money to pay for gas, their cell phone bills, their club membership, maintain their vehicles etc, yet they are off clubing with friends on the weekends, going to the latest move premier, off to a restaurant that I can't afford.

I get upset when I can't get them up in the morning to help out on the weekends...and on and on.

There are two sides to the eternal debate. I've seen a bunch from the kids side, not nearly enough from the parents. Our family tradition on my wife's side is that the boys stay at home until they get married. My B-I-L lived in my In-laws basement until he got married. I'm afraid that someone will go to jail for homicide if that occurs here. LOL
      With my daughter living with us again, I can sympathize. The one thing we can do as parents is to say no. I won't pay your bills while you spend all your money on luxuries. If they don't like the answer, they can move back out on their own. I believe if you make it too comfortable, they will be there forever. After they have been on their own once, living back at home is a privalige, not a requirement.
      Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I have 4 kids and 12 grandkids. At sometime i had one or two move back in stay 9 mo. Wife and i was ready long before that to get them out but it your kids. Wish all kids could stand on there on.we might need help later on but hope not.kids need too grow not trying to have it all. But work and plan ahead. I have met the silver buick before and he is a nice young man. The kid has a very good out look on life.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          Unless..... Craig Breedlove is hiring. His shop is in her town.
          THAT would be cool!
          I'm still learning

Comment

As Scott said in the other thread, im 22 and still living at home. It sure does suck at times, but its saving me thousands of dollars while i finish up school. I'll be done at the end of April, then Im moving out as soon as i find a job.

There are good days at home, and there are bad days. I get along with my parents really well, but the do drive me nuts sometimes.

The freedom is getting close....

Comment

I bought my parents a small home 10 minutes from my home. Dad had cancer and I needed them to be close. But I don't think I could live with my mom again. Nor would she want to live with me. She refers to my fleet as junk..lol This is coming from a lady who bought a Boss 302 new in 1970 and whenever she drove my 69 Mach she would do a burnout.
              used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X