22 Years later, its alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 Years later, its alive!

So Ive posted this car in one of the random threads before, but it finally went downt he road this week for the first time since 1990.

The car is a good friends 73 Mach 1, 351C/FMX combo. not many options- the owner deleted the ram air hood and spoilers from the factory. And I must say- the 177hp/284tq is amazing! Car is nearly all original- new gas tank, and front brakes rebuilt. 52k on the clock. The original owner daily drove it until 1990, when he drove it into his garage and parked it until he got a chest freezer. then it sat outside until 2011. Plans for the car? Original wheels, fix the grill trim, and maybe a mach hood/spoiler.My friend is quite happy with the car, but its a far cry from his subaru! Im amazing what still works on this- the AM/FM/8track is still kickin, as are the original speakers. Its too bad an early engine fire toasted the hood paint. One oddity on the car is they installed the horn pad upsidedown!

Ill be entering it into a show next month for him- now the question is, do I leave whats left of the garage dust, or clean it up?

2 barrels of POWER!
    Last edited by RustyRodder; July 25, 2012, 11:40 PM.
    Local person
    sigpic

By the title of the thread, I was afraid to open it and see my '71 Camaro........ I have a feeling I'll be posting one like this in the near future.........

Anyway Congrats man!!!!!, I can only dream of when this day will come for me........

Comment

Leave the dust for now -
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Since it doesn't have a thick coating of dust all over it, I'd clean it up and maybe touch up the front bumper and leave it alone. Drive it enough it the summer to try and make up for all the lost time. No way would I Rick paint jail !
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Part of me wants to say leave it alone, but I gotta go with knock the dust off her, clean her up, maybe fix some of the blemishes, and let the old girl stretch her legs some, she's earned the right to haul ass again and look good doing it. Maybe leave the dust on just long enough for the show, but I doubt I could even do that. Congrats to your bud on a great find!
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Nice work - this generation of mustang is finally starting to get some respect.

If he does change anything on the engine, swap on an aluminum 4V intake and carb, and loose the points ignition.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              Nice work - this generation of mustang is finally starting to get some respect.

If he does change anything on the engine, swap on an aluminum 4V intake and carb, and loose the points ignition.
              I am glad for the respect coming around.

the steel makes all the 60s stangs without shelby miracles seem like tin cans.

locally, I was maybe 16, in the 80s.. a guy my age gained one of these for free. Sparked it up, drove it aorund...focus on a burnout left the nearly mint chassis in a ditch...first rides out.

the silence of shattering someones patience to let it sit and have a good base of a project was deafening, the damage was very bad. (That kid got alot of shit that day)..I never forgot it.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Really nice! I'd buff out those rims and stick knockoff center caps on em. Looks cool!

Comment

Now that thing is in nice shape considering. Wish the 71 in the shop looked half that good. Clean it and drive it, but I would swap a 4 barrel on it, and maybe some headers. A mild cam really wakes up a Cleveland. Other than a few engine mods, I would leave it as is and drive the wheels off that thing.

Comment

clean er' up. It way to nice not to clean...
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Paint the front bumper with a spraycan in the same colour..4 barrel intake and carb..electronic ignition,and headers and cam swap..then leave it alone,and drive it.

Comment

no spraycan jobs on this- I know he is thinking of repainting the frontend (rest is in good shape), but he wants it to be a deadon match.

But it does look like its getting a good cleaning! underhood should be fun...
                        Local person
                        sigpic

Comment

for the time being that front bumper would look good in semi gloss black...jmho....
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Can't believe I'm the first to suggest this: Get new tires NOW!

Driving around on 22+ yr old rubber is a blowout waiting to happen!

Cool Mach!

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post
                              Can't believe I'm the first to suggest this: Get new tires NOW!

Driving around on 22+ yr old rubber is a blowout waiting to happen!

Cool Mach!
                              Those tires are new! well, newer. Came off a 42 poncho gasser. These are what it came with-

Local person
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X