Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bangshift Musicians Corner: kickass female vocalists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peewee View Post
    As already said, there's so much great stuff here. I'm torn between Aretha Franklin and some others.

Mama Cass....she was mainstream when I was a kid, so I didn't know or pay attention to what she was doing. But I caught a show about a year ago on Bio, and wow, could she ever do it. Man oh man she had lungs and tone. Powerful.

And I'll add Janice Joplin. She was a blues singer extraordinaire. Before the radio stuff she did. Not the same quality of voice as presented here on this thread, but another one that was silenced.
    Janice Joplin..........wanted to see her at Woodstock......not meant to be.
    She was a good one.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
      Janice Joplin..........wanted to see her at Woodstock......not meant to be.
      She was a good one.
      What happened Monk - you got stoned and missed it ?

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by zombie289 View Post
        Johnette Napolitano has to be my fav...incredible voice
        I used to follow Concrete Blonde around the midwest for a while when they where starting out, stumbled into them at the Parody Hall in Kansas City, saw them in Tulsa a couple weeks later heck of a drive but well worth it at the time. She is great, I would see the town before they got here and at least one after for a couple years
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

The wife keeps making me get out Karen Carpenter's version of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" (Passage/1977), I have to admit it's pretty good.

We saw Concrete Blonde some time back...yeah, Johnette can sing. Seemed like she had more potential than was realized.

Almost any song in the world would sound good to me, if Chrissy Hynde was singing it. Another female vocalist I once listened to over and over again, was Jane Jensen in the nineties...betcha don't know that one. Fun, sexy. #2 Female song in history, Janis doing "Piece of my heart". #1 Linda Perry (Four Non Blondes), "What's Up". Overplayed, but jeez what a voice there.

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post

http://slager.network.hu/video/dr_ho...nd_i_missed_it
            I hadn't heard that one before. That right there proves you can write a great song about ANYTHING!

Yep, there it is.That proves it, better than all of the songs that leave you wondering and talking and speculating out loud about, "What is that song about?" The artistic shit.

There it is. Period. I love it.
            Last edited by pdub; July 27, 2012, 01:49 PM.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
              I like Amy Lee(Evanescence) and Hayley Williams(paramore)

I have to agree here, Amy Lee has some pipes...and she aint hard on the eyes if you know what I mean. Although completely different genres than being discussed

dont know how many country fans we have here but ol' Reba McEntire can carry two or three tunes in a bucket...I do like that womans singing voice...speaking..not so much.
              Last edited by JOES66FURY; July 27, 2012, 01:56 PM.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Alright everyone that has posted in this thread needs to go to the Doctor and get their Testosterone levels checked, the Estrogen level in here is just extremely to high!!!!!!!......

And that crap DG posted..... She may have a good voice but that still doesn't mean it doesn't want to make you put a gun your head and shoot yourself........ God is it depressing...... But then it explains a lot...........

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                  And that crap DG posted..... She may have a good voice but that still doesn't mean it doesn't want to make you put a gun your head and shoot yourself........ God is it depressing...... But then it explains a lot...........

why you gotta stir the shit pot?
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

So, what do you REALLY think TC? Don't be bashful, now.

EDIT: Damn Joe, you beat me. Treed again.
                    Last edited by pdub; July 27, 2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                      why you gotta stir the shit pot?
                      What a guy doesn't have a right to an opinion, I listen to it, it sucked, ya she has a nice voice, but it is down right depressing to listen to......... It's my Opinion..........

I know don't poke the bear..........

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                        So, what do you REALLY think TC? Don't be bashful, now.
                        PDub there's one thing you should know by now, I just say it as it is, no sugar coating....... and at least I'm honest........well to myself.......

Though maybe I should have thrown some smileys in there........
                        Last edited by TC; July 27, 2012, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Alright everyone that has posted in this thread needs to go to the Doctor and get their Testosterone levels checked, the Estrogen level in here is just extremely to high!!!!!!!......

have you seen the 2 women i mentioned??
                          Last edited by 1badmonkey; July 27, 2012, 02:29 PM.
                          Charles

Comment

I know don't poke the bear..........
                            That's a great visual, though I'm not familiar with that as a saying. I can only complete the scenario in my mind, as a guess...

I poked the bear and the sumbitch woke up!

Is that close to the meaning?

Comment

note to self...never go camping with TC....####er will be crawling all up inside every bear den he can find to start some shit.

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post

http://slager.network.hu/video/dr_ho...nd_i_missed_it
                                Tuesday, August 12, 1969........after morning muster breaks out, I get invited to go to this
                                rock concert in upstate New York. I didn't know it was Woodstock but knew Janis was going to play as
                                well as Jimi Hendricks and host of other groups.
                                Three guys and a Volkswagen........I'd be the fourth.
                                Problem was I just got married in June and I wasn't going to leave my new
                                bride by herself.........and hell I was still on my honeymoon

They were leaving that Friday, August 15, and said they would be back on Monday.
                                Well..........they were two days AWOL and got an ass eating from the Old Man for hanging out
                                with hippies.
                                Still remember the stories they came back with.

Man.......I loved the '60's.
                                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                                X