Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bangshift Musicians Corner: kickass female vocalists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TC View Post
    And did anyone mention Stevie??

No, and I think there was reason nobody mentioned her. Fun to look at back in the day, though.

She had the perfect face and body for radio.
    Last edited by pdub; July 27, 2012, 11:27 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Damn, I did that twice trying to edit it. I'm functioning.

Comment

I finally started to open up my musical tastes a few years back and it has opened my ears to a lot of music I would have never paid attention to in the past. I really like Norah Jones and Duffy, and also Amy Lee, but always looking for more.

Comment

Originally posted by loren View Post
          the wife keeps making me get out karen carpenter's version of "don't cry for me argentina" (passage/1977), i have to admit it's pretty good.

We saw concrete blonde some time back...yeah, johnette can sing. Seemed like she had more potential than was realized.

Almost any song in the world would sound good to me, if chrissy hynde was singing it. Another female vocalist i once listened to over and over again, was jane jensen in the nineties...betcha don't know that one. Fun, sexy. #2 female song in history, janis doing "piece of my heart". #1 linda perry (four non blondes), "what's up". Overplayed, but jeez what a voice there.

the wife?
          Last edited by LORENSWIFE; July 28, 2012, 10:14 AM.
          That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
            the wife?
            Hmmmm....trouble in paradise it seems....

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
              Hmmmm....trouble in paradise it seems....
              I am so embarrassed that he told everybody I request that song all the time!~ It messes with me cool persona...

Lucky for the husband he didn't put a "y" on the end of that
              Last edited by LORENSWIFE; July 28, 2012, 10:41 AM.
              That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I am so embarrassed that he told everybody I request that song all the time!~ It messes with me cool persona...

Lucky for the husband he didn't put a "y" on the end of that
                What's wrong with "Wifey?" Is there some kind of stigma to go with that word? I want to know....so I don't use it if I shouldn't.

Comment

I hate it. I know people like that and use it all the time but not me.
                  That is reason enough.

Comment

Ok. I won't use it. That's reason enough.

Comment

Female vocalists!

Whitney Houston
                      Amy Winehouse
                      Dame Montserrat Cabelle
                      Celine Dion

Karen Carpenter ~ wish she had lived longer I do get tired ot the old stuff, Loren totally surprised me when he found a record with 'Argentina' on it. I like Madonna doing that song but she really is not much of a singer, she was great in the Evita movie though. We have an incredioble radio station turn table and love to go looking for albums at thrift shops.
                      Last edited by LORENSWIFE; July 28, 2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I love to hate country music/noise, but I'll ante Patsy Cline as far as voice. You young farts won't even know who that is. Her signature song was "Crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
                          Me too - I was a young punk teenager in 1969 (almost 15) but I started early - working at a horse riding stables every summer during high school (and before) but I knew it was going on. Month or two later was Goose Lake in Michigan (I think Mr. Stokes went or even played there) but once again I was riding trail and chasing the young stuff.

This is still my favorite song from Woodstock - they were stoned on Mesc.......they had to go up on stage like a day early cause none of the other groups could get in - yep - the New York State Freeway is closed man !!!
                          http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...Soul+Sacrifice
                          And the best Hendrix song in my opinion - nobody else's matters anyway.
                          Aaawwwww yea baby -
                          http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5q...ed-house_music
                          Yup, i was there. from the friday night rain on thru monday morning when hendix asked us to stick around because he had a specail song he wanted to play at sunrise.
                          Janis wasn't at her best, i don't think any of her set made the album i don't remember. Like hendrix she was trying to get a new sound and she mostly sang with another singer. Grateful Dead didn't make the album either, so no big deal.
                          As far as gal singers go the one i miss is a nashville gal called Cylinda Pink. I believe she did backup vocals for nashville studios and she released a killer blues album. I had it on cassette and it has gone to shit without me having a copy, i sure do miss it too. She was considered 'country' and she did a few other albums but i get the impression she got addicted to herion. That was a long time ago and i still check for her music but she is being awfully quiet.
                          A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

I love to hate country music/noise, but I'll ante Patsy Cline as far as voice. You young farts won't even know who that is. Her signature song was "Crazy."
                            OMG! Love Patsy Cline, my sister will actually get up in a bar with a band she doesn't know and sing that song to knock the walls down, she is amazing...I am jealous but she is the Singer I am the Dancer...
                            Last edited by LORENSWIFE; July 28, 2012, 11:23 AM.

Comment

OMG! Love Patsy Cline, my sister will actually get up in a bar with a band she doesn't know and sing that song to knock the walls down, she is amazing...I am jealous but she is the Singer I am the Dancer...
                              Video?

Comment

She was incedible. People all around here act like shes' thier sister or daughter and are very protective of her. They just opened her home where she grew up as a musuem, the artifacts were all authentic and donated or are on loan. The VFW under the movie theater has a brass plaque 'Patsy Cline sang here' it is larger than the VFW building plaque. Loretta Lynn lived here too but i don't know if they were here at the same time.
                                We are so lucky to have quality recordings of her voice.
                                A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Working...
                                X