Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bangshift Musicians Corner: kickass female vocalists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Her studio version was even more awesome:

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by oj View Post
      She was incedible. People all around here act like shes' thier sister or daughter and are very protective of her. They just opened her home where she grew up as a musuem, the artifacts were all authentic and donated or are on loan. The VFW under the movie theater has a brass plaque 'Patsy Cline sang here' it is larger than the VFW building plaque. Loretta Lynn lived here too but i don't know if they were here at the same time.
      We are so lucky to have quality recordings of her voice.
      Same thing in Marshville NC, not far from Pineville NC, not far from Charlotte NC.

I guess it's still there, haven't seen it in years, but used to be the brick sign at the edge of town said:

Welcome to Marshville
      Home of Randy Travis , seven times as big as Marshville on the sign.

Comment

There's no denying Whitney Houston had an absolutely amazing voice.

One of the first female vocalists I really liked was Suzy Boggus - her voice is just so sweet and pure sounding - I like that.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

In the same line of sweet sounding voices, I also like Gwen Stefani of No Doubt. She can (and does) go from sweet and innocent sounding, to slightly raspy with a bit of an aggressive edge.

Carrie Underwood - she can go from sweet and innocent to really belting out a note.

...and Sinead O'conner. You think she could relate emotion in her Prince Cover "nothing compares to you"? Have you heard "Troy" from The Lion and The Cobra? It's not mainstream, but it's amazing if you like that sort of thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEGvDBDPQKU It changes up about halfway through...
        I got into her music when I was a kid, before the controversial stuff happened. She feels strongly about what the catholic church has done to children and that was how she expressed it... mistake? - probably, because it alienated a lot of people who may have been more receptive to her cause, had she taken a different course of action.
        Last edited by yellomalibu; July 29, 2012, 06:43 AM.

Comment

When I first heard 'Blue' by Leann Rimes, I thought they had found an old Patsy Cline track, not playing a new song by a 14 year old girl......she may not be as good as Patsy was, but she isn't hard to listen to:

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

How 'bout a two-fer?

Bonnie Raitt & Norah Jones:

"First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

And possibly my all time favorite cover of Dusty Springfield:

She was 19 at the time.
              "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

WOW, that is super stuff! All of it. WOW!

I've always been A Bonnie Raitt fan. Got to see her in concert in Charlotte many years ago and then after the show she went to a local nightclub for her birthday party. She didn't perform there, just blew out the candles and everybody cheered.

She plays slide with her bird finger, most folks use the pinkie finger. She said when she started, her bird finger was already the one with the most practice so she stuck the slide on that one.

And she plays slide in open A, as far as I can guess or figure out. Which is kinda like open E moved down one string, comparatively. Which yields her signature creamy sound but you can't get to the high screaming stuff, which is not her style anyhow.

Of all the musicians in the world there are two that I can ID from hearing one single lick. The sound of the guitar alone - That's Bonnie Raitt and also B.B. King. They've found a sound and a style that stands alone.

I'm pretty sure I've typed it here before but one of the best moments I've ever seen was at a big show in Charlotte. B.B. was the headliner but there were lots of other folks there. It was the last show of the tour.

As a finale, B.B. called everybody back out onto the stage. Everybody. Where is Buddy Guy? Buddy was missing. He finally wandered onto the stage, completely wasted. He'd been hiding in the trailer somewhere, getting into the good stuff.

B.B. said, "WHERE is your guitar Buddy? Somebody get this man a guitar!"

That didn't happen fast enough so B.B. just handed Buddy Lucille, and yelled, "Somebody get ME another guitar!"

Buddy strapped into Lucille and hit one quick lick. It looked like he'd been shocked by electricity. His eyes bugged out like Buckwheat's when Buckwheat was suddenly terrified. He didn't have to say it, his face did - DAY-um, I sound like B.B. King!

Priceless.

Comment

some of my favorites

top of the list Kate Pierson - the redhead in the B52s, she did some back up stuff, would of loved to see her do something solo

w/ Iggy Pop

w/ R.E.M.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

R.E.M. fue una banda de rock estadounidense, formada en Athens, Georgia en 1980 por el cantante Michael Stipe, el guitarrista Peter Buck, el bajista Mike Mil...

then theres Natalie Merchant on my list - she was in 10,000 Maniacs then went on to a solo career

the band did MTVs Unplugged in 1992 - IMO one of the best performances

and Lily Allen, this young lady is HUGE in Europe - saw here on a show on BBC

Thao Nguyen - this girl just f'n blows me away with her voice and guitar playing

Thao Nguyen makes captivating music. Her songs are raw and infectious, her voice has a distinctive swagger, and she's a remarkably nimble guitarist. The sing...

I could do this all day but i'll leave with those
                  Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Bonnie Raitt, so good. I saw her at 'The Cellar Door' in Georgetown - she'd warm up for Jim Croche. He'd come on stage with 3 budweisers and play until the three were gone and then Bonnie would come back out. She was very tradional back then, aggressive licks. i tried to pick things up from her but they just didn't sound the same when i tried them. Maybe it has something to do with talent.
                    Anybody mention Carol King? Now she was talent. When she released Tapestry she was early 20's. It floored me when i heard that she wrote 'Up on the Roof' done by the Platters i think - she must've been a teenager or younger when she wrote it! Incredible!
                    A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Originally posted by oj View Post
                      Bonnie Raitt, so good. I saw her at 'The Cellar Door' in Georgetown - she'd warm up for Jim Croche. He'd come on stage with 3 budweisers and play until the three were gone and then Bonnie would come back out. She was very tradional back then, aggressive licks. i tried to pick things up from her but they just didn't sound the same when i tried them. Maybe it has something to do with talent.
                      Anybody mention Carol King? Now she was talent. When she released Tapestry she was early 20's. It floored me when i heard that she wrote 'Up on the Roof' done by the Platters i think - she must've been a teenager or younger when she wrote it! Incredible!

Yeah, Carole was something. I was into the soft rock back then too. She just couldn't and never did follow up to the Tapestry album, because it was just too good. She spent it all right there. She could never beat that one.

Carole shacked up with James Taylor for a short while, imagine THAT for a couple. What would they talk about, the next song? But his heroin ran her off. Or so they say.

Comment

Nora jones was mentioned but I'll add Adele to the list. Though I also prefer a woman who could hum really good. ;)
                        Powertour off/on since 2002
                        sigpic

Comment

I'll confess that I didn't read ALL the entries (I'm weeks behind) but I'll wager no one mentioned Michelle Garibay Carey. She's the daughter of Randy Garibay (amazing Chicano blues man) and has been a professional singer in the San Antonio area for years. On her Dad's last CD "Invisible Society" she sings the most amazing version of "At Last". Interesting thing is that she looks like a chubby middle aged housewife and then she opens her mouth and this amazing stuff comes out. Last I looked there's no Youtube posting of this piece.

Also (going back a way) - look up Genya Raven and Ten Wheel Drive. Amazing voice and group.

Dan

Comment

bump the female vocalist thread. is it just me, or any woman that sings Patrick Watson does it better...
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

this one is even better. A little canadan umph.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Her sister Ann is a better singer,but my Lord Nancy Wilson is smoking hot in this video. She still looks pretty darn good. Plays a mean guitar too.

Loretta Lynn might be my favorite. Fame has not changed her at all. The album "Van Lear Rose" that she did with Jack White is AMAZING.
                                sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                                X