NHRA pro team with local sponsor? Pro Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA pro team with local sponsor? Pro Stock

I'll admit that I haven't watched NHRA on TV in a while, but today was watching a bit of the qualifying in Sonoma. I saw Pro Stock driver Kurt Johnson's ride sponsored by Pietro's #1. That is a family owned Italian restaurant in nearby Vacaville, CA.

Is this something new these days? Or, has this been going on for a while.

I also noticed the Professor Warren Johnson's car was unsponsored.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

WJ had a corporate patron
    GENERAL MOTORS

who is not interested in pro stock anymore

Comment

K&N had been Warrens sponsor for a while, but they are on board with Mike Edwards now. I bet the Johnsons will take anyones money to race.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

There's a Pietro's in Salem OR.. Just off I-5 at Market street..
        Pizza and Italian food..

Comment

I know for the past few years, KJ runs local sponsors that are close to the venue they're at, at the time. WJ .... not so much, after K&N, I can't remember even a small sponsor on the car.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

It's not uncommon to see local sponsors at various venues. In-N-Out Burger comes to mind... you'd see them sponsor various cars at western events... because that's where most of their stores are at.
            Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              I'll admit that I haven't watched NHRA on TV in a while, but today was watching a bit of the qualifying in Sonoma. I saw Pro Stock driver Kurt Johnson's ride sponsored by Pietro's #1. That is a family owned Italian restaurant in nearby Vacaville, CA.

Kurt usually has Mark Christopher Chevrolet, a west coast dealer, on his car when he is out there. Maybe the restaurant is the same deal. The GM money pretty much dried up around the time of bailout.

I guess running far from stock bodies with far from stock powerplants doesn't really sell cars that well.

Comment

Plenty of Budget for road racing and nascar @ GM
                WJ and the Grump are 2 of the people that researched the HP the chevys have today
                Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; July 29, 2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

The local stuff is more common for guys who are not running the full pull and are on a race to race basis. Some of it is "buddy money" and some of it is their PR people beating the bushes for cash.

The one issue you have when you run for decades under a corporate umbrella like the Johnson's did is that when the umbrella closes up, you aren't exactly trained in chasing the money. Lots of respect for both of those guys, but I don't think the Italian family restaurant route is the path to long term existence.
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I think sponsor money in general is harder to find now then it has ever been.

This is true for the N.H.R.A. or Cup racing.

Both the N.H.R.A. and Nascar are feeling what's happening in tickets sales or even people just watching on T.V.

Racers are always looking for someone to help them pay the bills so they can continue to race.

The "Old Saying how do you make a million dollars Racing" Start with two million and stop when you only have a million left is very true.

My favorite class in the N.H.R.A. is alcohol funny cars and this year the car counts are way off from past years due to sponsor money not being there and the fact that the pay out from the N.H.R.A. remains low.

This was the first year since the early 70's that the alcohol cars were not part of the show Englishtown.

Jimbo

Comment

This is from KJ's FB page on Thursday.....

Kurt Johnson
                      Thursday
                      "Days go by fast, flew into Sacramento on Tuesday morning, hit SanFrancisco yesterday with the kids, took them to a couple of places. Ate at Pietro's #1 on Cernon Street in Vacaville, CA -- Awesome food if you are in the area, stop by."

Comment

Vacaville, Ca...........where American Graffiti was shot?
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          Vacaville, Ca...........where American Graffiti was shot?
                          No. It was shot in Modesto, I think.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slightlywickedchick View Post
                            This is from KJ's FB page on Thursday.....

Kurt Johnson
                            Thursday
                            "Days go by fast, flew into Sacramento on Tuesday morning, hit SanFrancisco yesterday with the kids, took them to a couple of places. Ate at Pietro's #1 on Cernon Street in Vacaville, CA -- Awesome food if you are in the area, stop by."
                            I agree that Pietro's has great food. Ate there when I lived in Vacaville.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

No. It was shot in Modesto, I think.
                              It was about cruising McHenry Blvd in Modesto....it WAS filmed in Vacaville...
                              The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X