No announcement yet.

Why Isn't Auto Racing an Olympic Sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But according to some, that's nothing more than kicking back on a 200 m.p.h. sofa for an hour or two . . . .

Patrick is overrated. If she had an XY set of chromosomes or looked like an ex-East German prison matron, she wouldn't be getting a tenth of the attention with her thin driving resume. A mouse trap has to occasionally catch mice, and a star racing driver needs to win more than once a decade (excludes hot "Affirmative Action" babes and a certain boozing "legacy" driver found at "Club E").

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
      Here is the motorsports Olympics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_Champions
      Does that even get a fraction of the exposure of the real Olympics?

Comment

Everywhere but the USA.

So the answer would be no.
        I'm still learning

Comment

I agree with Bob Holmes. The race of champions is the Olympics of racing. But i wish they would join it to the list of sports. then it would get the exposure it needs to get more popular and more of an audience to watch the olympics.
          The youngest guy on the board
          76 vega
          86 fiero

Comment

I said my peace but since Speedy seems to be missing me I'll ad this......

Is a guy that rides a disability scooter in a 10K an athlete??

Ya I guess your right if it's got 4 wheels and you can drive it your an athlete........

Last edited by TC; August 1, 2012, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Kayaks and bicycles are human-powered...

I think AUTO PUSHING could be an Olympic sport. Hell, they could all push a Mustang.

Ron
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                Kayaks and bicycles are human-powered...

I think AUTO PUSHING could be an Olympic sport. Hell, they could all push a Mustang.

Ron
                But horses and shotguns aren't....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  the sap trying to hang onto the horse - that takes lots of effort

As for why....

9) Because they'd ruin their 2000 year streak of having events that in no way relate to or help anything in the real world.
                  10) Because there has to be something for all the track stars to do after high school.

I'm on a winning streak this Olympiad, I've now missed every showing of any event for 20 years.... and I'm there's no fear that there's anything I'm interested in seeing this year. TDF crowns the world-champ bicyclist.

TDF winner ... yes and no. While it's arguably the most prestigious title in the world of cycling to hold, it shouldn't necessarily be the determining factor of who is the best.
                  I don't believe one race should determine who is "the best"... even if the race is 27 days long. Some of the TDF riders train year round for that single event.
                  If all cyclists competed in every event - and a points system were enacted (similar to the way auto racing does it) then the world champion (in my opinion) would be the guy with the most points at the end of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Vinokourov for his gold medal on the eve of his retirement, but teams and tactics are what road race cycling is all about - but in the spirit of the olympiad - I think they should only do TT's or relay races, where individual accomplishments determine which person or team gets the gold.

As far as the topic, I say "no" auto racing should not be an olympic event. Way too many variables in the cars to be able to crown one driver as the best - nor do I think it requires being an athlete to be the best driver. Skill, yes. Athleticism, not necessarily.

Comment

Working...
                  X