Helluva Way to Start a Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helluva Way to Start a Monday

So we're sleeping along last night. Camping at Weeville.

Like a part of a dream I was having I hear Spankie the Dawg banging on the bedroom door. He's in there with us and the door is closed - we have a window a/c unit in the bedroom upstairs because the big unit just doesn't cool things upstairs, never will. And he wants out something awful. Desperate.

Okay. Spanke's 14 years old, all but blind and all but deaf and and losing control of this bodily functions, I guess. The clock says a quarter to four.

So I put on some rags and down the stairs he and I go, I'm still not real awake. Unlock the back door, and away he goes, he pees in the back yard for about five minutes it seems. He REALLY had to pee. Great big buckets of pee.

Okay maybe I can catch another nap before the alarm goes off at 5:30.

So back upstairs and the big light in the bedroom is on. And Unit's in the bathroom. And from the light of the big light, there's this huge unglamorous pile of dung at the foot of the bed. How did Unit not step in that on the way to the bathroom?

And stink? Great goshamolly, by now I AM awake. Unit came out of the bathroom gagging from the smell, standing at the top of the stairs saying, "I can't go in there."

And I'm cleaning it up coughing and ...well, I had nothing on my stomach or I would have lost it.

I'm going to bed early tonight from all of that. But the best part is we had a great laugh about it this evening reviewing our accounts of it because neither of us were even awake yet. What the hell of a way to start a day.

And Spankie's sitting around with us right now saying, "...WHAT?"
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Spanky got an 8 hr nap. He has no idea. That memory is gone.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

sucks something awful when the pet we've loved for so long starts having those problems. My thoughts and prayer are with you Pdub.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        sucks something awful when the pet we've loved for so long starts having those problems. My thoughts and prayer are with you Pdub.
        Thanks SBG. I think we should find a little bit of humor in everything, if we can. It's all a timed event, the time we all have here doing what we do when we all can do before we can't do it anymore.

And Dan, there's a saying here in eastern Tennessee that I learned about when we first got here. It's, "I've slept since then." Everybody around here says it. If it works for people, it should sure work for pets - what are you asking about? "I dunno, I've slept since then, remind me."

Comment

Like clockwork...11 pm...one dog gets up, stretches...yawns, ...looks at me...eyes getting brighter..."wanna go out?" both are dancing... 2- 65 lb Staffs.. PEE TIME, and skunk sniffing time... Makes sure no accidents in the house... But these are pups..1 and 3 years old poor ole Spankie's 98 years old...

Comment

Been there cleaned that - German Shephard living out in the country who knows what the heck he ate to give him the squirts years ago.
            Still miss him though.
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
              Been there cleaned that - German Shephard living out in the country who knows what the heck he ate to give him the squirts years ago.
              Still miss him though.
              But not the squirts?

Comment

Nope - don't miss that. He made it to the screened in porch but I don't think I should have brought the hose in to clean up, yes it was that bad. Linoleum tiles peeled up - DOH! Wife was not happy until until indoor/outdoor carpet went in. Almost as dumb as forgetting the rack of uncooked ribs in her SUV when unloading groceries a couple weeks ago. Yep, smelled like a dead animal in there alright, cuz it was.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Other Dan here.

I know you'll do right by ol' Spankie, but I have to wonder if his time is drawing near. When the Tin Woodsman came to the Wizard asking for a heart, the Wiz cautioned him that "Hearts will never be practical until they can be make unbreakable". But the Woodsman wisely replied, "Yes, but I want one anyway". You may be coming to that time. We still miss Beaux.

Dan

Comment

Nope - don't miss that. He made it to the screened in porch but I don't think I should have brought the hose in to clean up, yes it was that bad. Linoleum tiles peeled up - DOH! Wife was not happy until until indoor/outdoor carpet went in. Almost as dumb as forgetting the rack of uncooked ribs in her SUV when unloading groceries a couple weeks ago. Yep, smelled like a dead animal in there alright, cuz it was.
                    I went thru Omaha about that time...I was wondering what that smell was...
                    I'm sure by now she's forgiven you

Comment

.... forgetting the rack of uncooked ribs in her SUV when unloading groceries a couple weeks ago. Yep, smelled like a dead animal in there alright, cuz it was.
                      Years ago when Unit's parents were still alive, it was the big Thanksgiving feast-ful family gathering at their house in Pittsburgh. Spankie had already trained us well to allow him to beg at the table and toss him some scraps (it's only the three of us eating the rest of the year, right?).

So in order for the 12 of us to sit and eat at the big table like civilized human beings, we locked Spankie out on the sun porch.

With Mum's handmade apple pie cooling on top of the picnic table, on the sun porch. Boy, did he like every bit of it, and had fun rolling the empty pie plate around licking it, too. His face looked like he was made up like an apple pie for Halloween!

Comment

Here's to a wonderful start to wednesday,
                        Hope Tuesday was cool!

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          Years ago when Unit's parents were still alive, it was the big Thanksgiving feast-ful family gathering at their house in Pittsburgh. Spankie had already trained us well to allow him to beg at the table and toss him some scraps (it's only the three of us eating the rest of the year, right?).

So in order for the 12 of us to sit and eat at the big table like civilized human beings, we locked Spankie out on the sun porch.

With Mum's handmade apple pie cooling on top of the picnic table, on the sun porch. Boy, did he like every bit of it, and had fun rolling the empty pie plate around licking it, too. His face looked like he was made up like an apple pie for Halloween!
                          His knickname then should have been Sticky Whiskers -

Bob - Wife can't smell (ever since she got whiplash in a car accident years ago) and she drove for two days and her SUV was out in the 100 degree sun at work. That thing was blown up like a 20 lb. tube of hamburger, sure glad I caught it before the plastic burst.
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

His knickname then should have been Sticky Whiskers -

Bob - Wife can't smell (ever since she got whiplash in a car accident years ago) and she drove for two days and her SUV was out in the 100 degree sun at work. That thing was blown up like a 20 lb. tube of hamburger, sure glad I caught it before the plastic burst.
                            OHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh. Phil, see I didn't even GET that story. Oh, okay.

Because I have a saying around lunchtime, "I'm going to buy a dead animal and eat it." Was just thinking, forgot the meat in the car and the dog got to it before she could, or something.

Okay. Ewwwwwwww, your scenario WOULD be pretty awful. Thing is, at Weeville when we bring meat home it's because we're going to cook and eat it that day, most times. We live on a short schedule. Lots of trips to the store because it's just around the corner.
                            Last edited by pdub; August 1, 2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

That reminds me of the mythbuster's episode when the deliberately stunk up the interior of a corvette - and even after pulling it all apart and cleaning it and putting back together again to sell - they couldn't get rid of the smell....... it sure is a good thing you caught it - that would have been something that stuck with the vehicle forever.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X