Chamois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chamois

Until I got Red, I hadn't washed a car in 20 years. God's in charge of washing before, and I'll bet I hadn't waxed a car in 35 years. Because I just didn't care that much about it.

I waxed him before the Ohio Mile and although I swore I'd never do that again (hire Mexicans to do it), I'm already thinking about it. He's shiny, but not shiny enough to suit me.

With Red, Sue Unit comes outside and says, "You're going to wash the paint off of that car."

I think I may have. Or the wax, at least.

I put Car Wash Soap on the grocery list and Unit went to AutoZone to get it since they don't have exactly that at the local Food Lion.

She came home with a jug of that, and also a very special present just for Red - a sheepskin chamois cloth.

Washed Red yesterday.

I'd been drying him off with bathroom towels to keep him from spotting, and Unit thought the chamois was the best way to go. First time I used it, yeah okay. It was hard to drag around, but it did fine.

Second time, yesterday, it was stiff as a board when I started. And it smeared something gummy all over the windshield - the car wax that is coming off? I dunno. Could hardly see out driving to work in the dark this morning.

So Unit looked it up and found that a chamois requires great care. All sorts of things and procedural steps to keep it the way it should be.

We're gonna toss it and use a bathroom towel to dry Red, like I always have. It leaves towel lint, but it blows off the first time Red goes down the road looking good.
    Last edited by pdub; August 1, 2012, 04:10 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Chamois works better wet
    Rinse it off when you're done drying

That said, I buy towels when they're on sale at Fred Meyers and use them on my cars

But, I must say, you're coming along nicely in your becoming a hotrodder. It starts with Chamois, is sped up with wax (wait until you bench race wax), then is confirmed with a blower
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I get free used towels from the motels I stay at........I quit using chamois years ago.

Thing about the used towels..........no lint and they absorb water like hell.
      One side note...........I've got an outside faucet that is soft water.......no streaks after washing car.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I think the local guy has a real fix on what's wrong with Red's air conditioner. Watch this, I listened to him - he says the leak is on the service pipe port on the high side of the A/C unit. So he said that's why it took so long for the dye to show up, so Saturday he's going to replace the service pipe on the high side of the unit and he says that'll fix it.

Meantime, I poured a whole bag of ice on the exhaust manifolds, thinking that would help the air conditioner, and now the car's not idling well. So I think I'll change the oil and flush the crankcase out with water.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          I think the local guy has a real fix on what's wrong with Red's air conditioner. Watch this, I listened to him - he says the leak is on the service pipe port on the high side of the A/C unit. So he said that's why it took so long for the dye to show up, so Saturday he's going to replace the service pipe on the high side of the unit and he says that'll fix it.

Meantime, I poured a whole bag of ice on the exhaust manifolds, thinking that would help the air conditioner, and now the car's not idling well. So I think I'll change the oil and flush the crankcase out with water.
          I think you're on it
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Really I just thought the chamois was a bad deal. I didn't like it. I'll bet it's good or they wouldn't be for sale.

I like the used motel towels for free! Yeah.....that'll work.

Comment

maine is abusive enough..chamois. I did not know how to spell it.

here, enough two pat urethane, baked over the 220F mark in spots...passing the test of gunk engine cleaner sprayed in a 100F sun all over the car. not the engine..and then..let it sit there a good long time to be sure the anything-but-nuclear-debris debris comes off in the next thunderstorm.

I'd love my car to turn into a calico lobster..but no. I made it too tough and ugly.

the above is a true story. I use gunk engine cleaner on the entire body, and let god do the rest. I just check the weather for a big dark cloud coming.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 1, 2012, 04:44 PM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Unit is correct! And we know she loves you both.
                Chamois work great!

You need to learn how to use it then you will like it!
                Start with it moistened and wrung out then slap it down wide and pull toward you in one direction, Like on the hood you would slap it down so it spreads out like a bed spread and then pull it down and toward you. You must constantly wring it out though so if you can find one of those old fashioned clothes wringers those are the best!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	images[8].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	863497
                Last edited by LORENSWIFE; August 1, 2012, 05:08 PM.
                That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Try this for drying your car. It works similar to a chamois but I think you'll like it better. Plus you can store it in the tube it comes with. Buy it at any autozone type store..

Powertour off/on since 2002
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bishir View Post
                    Try this for drying your car. It works similar to a chamois but I think you'll like it better. Plus you can store it in the tube it comes with. Buy it at any autozone type store..

better yet........wash car.........drive down highway at 70 mph.
                    No runs,no streaks,no errors
                    Thom

Comment

Beat me to it. Also you can use a California water blade first to remove most of the water >
                      http://www.autogeek.net/calwatblad.html or use Thom's method, which I quite often use.
                      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                        better yet........wash car.........drive down highway at 70 mph.
                        No runs,no streaks,no errors
                        What if your driveway's gravel?

Comment

These things are the BOMB! I have had the same one for 10 years and it still works as good today as it did the first time I used it.

Ron
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            What if your driveway's gravel?
                            Uh.......get out a bottle of detailer at end of driveway
                            Thom

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                              These things are the BOMB! I have had the same one for 10 years and it still works as good today as it did the first time I used it.

Ron
                              Me too -I love these in one hand (wring out occasional and store in cannister like Bish said) follow up with small towel in other hand.
                              Water blades get the majority of the heavy water up and also follow with a towel works. If an area spots up before you get to it just hit it with the damp absorber and towel - voila. Now if I didn't live and work in a dustbowl area - a car wash might last two days.

Next lesson PW is the Califronia Car duster -

I get the grandkids to buy me these little toys and magazine subscriptions when they ask me what I want for Christmas.
                              I like Meguiar's products best, I'm sure everyone has their favorites.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X