No announcement yet.

U.S. Military - Special Forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 2003 I was training to try for TACP, I have a buddy from the first gulf war that was one of them. The guy was freakishly huge, lots of muscle, which worked against him because of the radio and other equipment he had to jump with strapped to his ass. His knees are now as bad as mine are, probably worse. I tore up my knee at work in 03 and never got to apply. If my bud could do it, I knew I could too. You would never know he did that job unless he told you or you know what his patches and stuff mean. I have a stack of 'Airman' magazine with him in it, he was the guy they took all the pics of. Main reason I wanted to do that job was simply because you run every day, work out constantly, and that would allow me to stay in with the new weight program that was coming in 04.

My second enlistment wasnt bad, the two deployments were more boring than anything. The first war was different for me, had some interesting times, worked my ass off, and lost a few friends to friendly fire in the northern no fly zone. You wouldnt think cargo guys would see much, but some of us do when we are in an AMOG, TALCE or MAPS unit. Some people are ok with the 'fun' stuff, most arent, and the people it seems to affect the most are those who grew up in abusive families. I call it 'fun' because it is anything but fun, however it does sort of disarm most people because they dont grasp what I mean exactly. The messed up part is you never have to be shot at directly to have problems, all sorts of things can cause PTSD when you are in a very stressful environment. Its nothing you want to have, and it sure as hell isnt a badge of honor or anything like that.

I like to provide information, thats why I wrote this last paragraph.

Comment

Todd - I'm sorry you have ghosts and I hope eventually you can chase them away. Another reason to respect those who serve.

Dad had a friend who was at Pearl Harbor during the attack and (obviously) survived. I NEVER heard him mention it within my earshot and the only reason I knew anything about is that as a teen I asked Mom why Vic was sorta weird and she explained. I still don't know anything about his actual experiences. Another set of ghosts. Dad revered Vic.

Dan

Comment

Working...
      X