Losing weight (on the car too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    Old ones, of course. I ran across a nice pair a couple years ago and wasn't smart enough to scrape up the two grand to buy them.
    L88 heads? There's a couple of pairs of ZL1 heads on fleabay for 2k right now, but I'd probably want to put my hands on them before I'd commit. They're in San Diego. Are they being recast in China or something? That seems way cheap.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

There are several on ebay, most of them are welded and ground on and pretty rough. I'd probably settle for some of the new GM heads that are legal for stock class drag racing....they have a bowtie instead of a snowflake, but they probably work about the same.

Anyways, I got the new radiator in, cleaned up the front light wiring, new fan belt, and refaced the groove in the lower pulley that drives the water pump and fan and alternator. It wore out, the belt was riding on the bottom of the groove. It's aluminum, and has 100k miles on it. I should buy a new one and get it anodized so it won't wear out.

So far I've removed some weight from the car, this is my guess

30 Bumper and hood ornament
      20 heater
      12 smaller starter
      10 aluminum radiator
      01 rubber upper hose instead of metal tube

It's not enough, but I guess it's a start.

The blower pulleys I ordered won't be here in time, but I did order another upper that's even smaller, a 33 that with the 36 lower I have now should add a psi or two. It should be here tuesday or wednesday next week.

I also ordered a master cylinder kit for the old chrome single pot original type m/c I have. I might put it on the car...at least to see how it works. Slightly smaller bore, so I should have a bit less pedal effort.

Pictures...
      Attached Files
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The new pair I saw this morning "present to AJ Foyt" was 5k, more in line with what I expected. For the 5k I would consider an aluminum block too. You could really lose some weight there! Tell ya what, when I win the lottery and become a gozillionaire I'll get you one. pffft.

Radiator painted up pretty nice - is aluminum traditional enough? hehe.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Without spending cubic dollars, it's tough to proceed from where you are now - without butchering the car ... all for one event?

'glass hood, deck lid, rear bumper would deduct a good bit of weight and can be painted to match your car. The rear bumper can be painted a bright silver that looks acceptable (to me).

My bolt-on hood was fairly heavy for a glass hood. I didn't think it saved much weight... until I recently put my steel hood back on - it does weigh a lot more.

Aluminum heads would save a bunch of weight and more than likely make a good bit more horsepower than what you have on the engine now. Grind the sharp edges off the outsides, then sandblast and paint them engine color for a more appropriate appearance so they don't stand out... but that's probably more money than you want to spend... and depending on how "worked" your steel heads are, the performance gains may be minimal (or non existent). *my worn out, heavily worked 492 angle plugs were replaced by my (then) new AFR 195's. $1400 = zero gain in performance.

Comment

move the battery to the trunk ?
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

That won't reduce weight...and I don't want the battery in the trunk. I put other stuff back there.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

i was thinking to help with weight transfer
                Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I think I need to work on the suspension, for that.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

I got my old lightweight buckets you can have.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                      I think I need to work on the suspension, for that.
                      The '55 works pretty damn well when the driver uses the right gears eh, Jim?

It's also pretty well dialed as timing cahnges did't make it go faster. Its a bracket car too, runing within 2 hundreths over 3 runs and two hours.

The trunk is approximatly the same size as my first apartment.
                      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                        The trunk is approximatly the same size as my first apartment.
                        hahahahahahaha
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Look at what he offers..
                          I like the bolt on IFS..with camaro brakes/spindles and power rack and pinion... Might have a non power option..

Comment

unbolt that pretty grill, and replace it with some chicken wire.

bonus, you can put it back on later.

You could also pull the rug. Fiberglass rear bumper? How bout an old rusty rear bumper chopped in half lengthwise? Still has the shape, but half the weight. Just sand off the rust.

What kind of front wheels was Bob Falfa rockin'?
                            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
                            X