Deaf Bob is All About Demo Derby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deaf Bob is All About Demo Derby

From my week in exile, got so much great mail. A few from DB on HIS subject, demolition derby. He readies the cars, they travel to the event, and the kids drive 'em. And they win.

Here's one where they had to square off against each other at the end. Pink chickens:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Whatta contest!

And it was also covered in the local once-every-two-week newspaper in the place where it happenned. Like the press always does, they got the names wrong:

Click image for larger version

Name:	demo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	879168

Marcus Larson / News-Register
    The last two cars running in Saturday's Yamhill County Fair demolition derby were teammates -- and siblings -- Bob Martin and Susan Flemming. After eliminating the rest of the competition, they had no choice but to go at each other until Martin was crowned champion.

From the text of DB's email, with his blessings, of course:

Caption reads: last 2 cars standing were teammates and siblings, Bob Martin (Morton!) and Susan Flemming (Fleming)

It was weird seeing the kids go at each other.. I always say one has to shut off cuz the cars last... She shut off cuz she had WOT and almost hit an official so she said (in her words) #### it.. It's enough..Bobby won!

DB Rules.

pdub
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

YouTube:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The 2 pink Caprices with the Cock and Beaver are my kids..
    Took 1-2!
    Proud of them!

Comment

Well a week without your debauchery was almost like............................well anyway, the hill jacks around here look at the cars in a crash up derby like they were at a car show with there ooohhhs and aaaahhhs over the front bench seat with a square cut out of it and the battery installed in it for protection.

Comment

Ah. I obviously need to educate you... Box on the floor.. For batteries.
        Switches are equipment switches.. Starter activator is a winch switch
        I build all cables out of 2/0 welding cable..
        Throttle is bell housing mounted
        Shifter is tailshaft mounted with a park lockout so it can be slapshifted into rev or forward as needed...

Steering column and mounted to side iron..

Battery box

Another of the box

Comment

Dang it... Need to post pics!

Tired now.. Building a 58 Edsel wagon for Sunday..

Comment

Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
            Well a week without your debauchery was almost like............................

Like WHAT? Good?

DB, the battery box photo...When the FAA sees that, they'll start putting putting the crash data recorders in green boxes instead of orange ones. No, they are not "black." Green just absolutely rocks!
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Ah. I obviously need to educate you... Box on the floor.. For batteries.
              Switches are equipment switches.. Starter activator is a winch switch
              I build all cables out of 2/0 welding cable..
              Throttle is bell housing mounted
              Shifter is tailshaft mounted with a park lockout so it can be slapshifted into rev or forward as needed...

Steering column and mounted to side iron..

Battery box

Another of the box
              DB....cut an old inner tube and duct tape it to the floor for a shifter boot....I got sprayed with burning(flaming) trans fluid through that hole...I actually made steel sheetmetal mounting flanges to hold them down....

Last edited by Chassisman; August 14, 2012, 02:43 PM.
              The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

i should be shot for all the cars i have run in demo derbys
                HRPT Long Hauler 2011, 2012, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ogre View Post
                  i should be shot for all the cars i have run in demo derbys
                  Me and my Dad also....lol.... 56 Chrysler New Yorker...65 Imperial Crown Coupes...59-68 T-birds..57 Lincoln Preimere(s)..66-68 Dodge Polara 2 dr hardtops...62-64 Ford Galaxies.. 62-64 Mercury Monterey/Park Plaza's .....shall I keep rolling?...that doesnt include all the 70-73 Kingswood/Pont Safari Wagons..LOL..oh WAIT...a 1962 Chrysler 300.....yup...we did it !!!

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                    Like WHAT? Good?

DB, the battery box photo...When the FAA sees that, they'll start putting putting the crash data recorders in green boxes instead of orange ones. No, they are not "black." Green just absolutely rocks!
                    Originally posted by Chassisman View Post
                    Me and my Dad also....lol.... 56 Chrysler New Yorker...65 Imperial Crown Coupes...59-68 T-birds..57 Lincoln Preimere(s)..66-68 Dodge Polara 2 dr hardtops...62-64 Ford Galaxies.. 62-64 Mercury Monterey/Park Plaza's .....shall I keep rolling?...that doesnt include all the 70-73 Kingswood/Pont Safari Wagons..LOL..oh WAIT...a 1962 Chrysler 300.....yup...we did it !!!
                    Likewise... Except only 2 mopars.. 65 Imperial.. Won the NW Invitational 2 years running.. And a 58 Saratoga..
                    Currently doing a 58 Edsel..

Dash is removed completely . Big hole for Dizzy clearance gets covered with mudflap.. We take out the dip stick on the tranny and run it to under the car with heater hose.. No pressure build up so it goes out the vent... Thru the hood exhaust has greatly reduced fires..
                    Chassisman, your build is 10-15 years old... Only raw rookies do it that way now...
                    We usually do body off.. Or at least remove the rubber between frame and body .

I know derby does not get much respect... But if you run nowadays.. It is way different than years ago..
                    We, my son and I, spend alot of time on our cars.. several rules have been written because of us.. Most recently the rule limiting the number of 3/8 bolts/washers in hoods, trunks and fenders.. We put 10-20 in each fender, most do not survive to be reused..

Would love to travel to Davis CA to run the $10K first place derby
                    Or to Oregon IL for Metal Mayhem where they stop half way thru to refuel, no fender clearancing allowed at that time

There are derby specific cradles that bolt both styles of GM small block mounts into one, thus saving water jackets and protecting the front part of the pan.. Dizzy protectors, hoops around carbs, and pulley protectors.. Best investment we made? Sliding driveshafts!

Comment

My trans fire was due to a split pressure fitting coming off the trans...another car backfiring out stock bobbed exhaust set it off..... I made over 50k doing derbies .... like I said....those pics are from my daughter's powder puff car. My best "frame" off car won me 15k in 3 years of running....it only went to Davis...Apple Valley and Reno.... I drove at Super Crush in the Houston Astrodome. That Derby required 3 cars...2 to qualify and one for the main. I drove from 1986-2002....now I get paid to tech and write rules....I also train tech inspectors at local race tracks in how to spot cheaters. ...I've blown Chads mind on how to prep a car....I'd love to get you out here when we build his car.

Comment

Gonna throw Chad in a derby car? Cool... Watch him get addicted...
                        I pretty much just help the kids run here in the PNW..
                        Never had the funds to do more...

Comment

Are "ratrods" going or coming to/from a demo derby?

Comment

Working...
                          X