new type of crash test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new type of crash test

having personally thumped every design known to autos..Some might guess why I drive even a tin can subaru. (flat four engine forces a wider reach, as this test searches)

for older american autos, the classic engine bay..even trucks. I am mutilated byt the fail of this test (front axle and wheel got my leg, ford f350). it was as bad as the lexus. Complete with leg stuck under the dash, like the dummy. Given it was mangled at the ankle onward, pulling it out like a tree branch with no mercy did not bother it anymore.

The guys doing up mustangs don't worry about this.

With suspension parts finally correct (brians caprice).
    the front end is still a big hollow cave with a plastic fender liner.

to continue with modern realism, an all metal 16+ gauge liner would be a big help.

I have no complaints on any of the old designs, but this clip brought more than one event back to my memory.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 15, 2012, 09:07 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

that S60's frame looks just like how my lebaron's and caravan i parted out are set up and they where new in the 80's

Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Wow, that's really something. If only we could all pick and choose our crash circumstances if one has to occur at all.

That is reminiscent of the video a few years back where they crashed an old Chevy into a new Chevy to "prove how safe cars are now compared to then." Frontal impact with minimal overlap, as presented above. One of you guys here pointed out that the old Chevy's had an X-frame construction that would probably knock a building down full head-on, but with minimal overlap it folded up like a stomped beer can and the new Chevy carved its way all the way into the driver's seat on the old Chevy. Instant death for the crash test dummy. Theoretical new Chevy driver sustained a leg injury.

A rigged demonstration in that case? Of course it was.

I just don't know how to digest all of that stuff. Like the statistic, "The vast majority (there's a percentage to go with it) of all automobile accidents happen within 25 miles of home."

That's just a real silly statistic. Of course they do. Whatta genuinely silly-ass statistic. I think it was presented originally to make people fasten their seat belts even if they were "only going to the store." Maybe it did some good, maybe. Maybe.

But the video above makes me want to own a Volvo only for the half-second that I realize I'm about to be in a minimal overlap front end collision.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Vids like this tempt me to think about putting a cage into my daily driver.

Comment

We need to teach people how to drive to AVOID the crashes. not install more airbags giving them a sense of invincibility, causing them to be lazy in thier driving habits. "OH my airbag will save me!"

Oh - wait.... that's right i forgot....

technology will be taking people out of the drivers seat soon enough and replacing them with ultrafast computer decisions... so forget all that training people to drive stuff...sorry.
          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Working...
          X