Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Ken Miles, lost his life on this day in 1966.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    rest in peace ken

Leave a comment:

• mustang13
    replied
    You hit the nail on the head Speedzzter, if not for Ken, and his hard work and driving skill, whether by racing or testing, where would any of Shelby American or Ford's programs have gone?

His quote after exiting the car post 66 LeMan "I've bloody been F--ked!". True true true. I my mind, always and forever, the #1 car was the winner of that race.

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    Miles would have been the first driver to win Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans in the same year had Ford and Shelby not fouled up the staged 1-2-3 photo finish at Le Mans -- handing the win in 1966 to Ford teammates Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon. Then Miles is killed on the last lap of the last test of the day at Riverside just a few weeks later. So sad.

Miles also got hosed in the Daytona Coupe program. He was one of the few at Shelby who supported Peter Brock's idea for an aerodynamic Cobra from the start. The first Daytona Coupe was "fitted" to him like a custom suit. He did the development driving. But when it came time for the racing debut of the DC, Miles didn't get the call.

Shelby wouldn't have achieved as much as he did in the 60s if it wasn't for Ken Miles.

Leave a comment:

• studemax
    replied
    He was one fast son of a gun.

Leave a comment:

• oj
    replied
    Very sad day, i remember him and the car well. RIP

Leave a comment:

• mustang13
    started a topic RIP Ken Miles, lost his life on this day in 1966.

RIP Ken Miles, lost his life on this day in 1966.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ken%20miles%20timesgp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	879179

One of the greatest race car drivers, and one of my heros, lost his life on this day in 1966, testing a J model GT40 Ford at Riverside.

RIP Mr. Miles
Working...
X