• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Regal
    replied
    Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
    drop all mandates
    Won't happen with true believers at the EPA.

Leave a comment:

• skullbucket
    replied
    I'll burn and support gasoline until there is no more, I couldn't care less about "alternate fuel". We got 93 octane around here and thats plenty enough for flattops, 750 Holley and a nice lopey cam.

Leave a comment:

• oldsman496
    replied
    Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
    Oldsman could switch his EFI system to ethanol very easily, throw some E or C heads on his 455 with flat top slugs and have a hard running car that probably gets better mileage than he does on gas, with LOTS more power.

What we need is to get other stuff going so the pressure isnt on corn all the time, there is a ton of shit to make fuel from that isnt so dependent on weather. I am probably more pissed off about that than any of you are..
    Ok. I run a quadrajet, not EFI. i also run a slight dish on my forged slugs because the mill was originally designed to accept a pissload of N2O....the performance heads from Olds ALL suck...C heads included. I run bigger vales in either a g or j head and with lotsa bowl work and some port changes, and of course port matching.... But enough of that....

Your statement "there is a ton of shit to make fuel from" is SO true..... lets make the fuel from wood chips, grass clippings, dead corn stalks, or TC's weed......not food (for cows or us).... The tech is there to create the basis of a profitable industry for this...but folks want the easiest way which is the high sugar content of 'food grade corn' could also be apples or grapes or any other delicous goodie... the reason those are all good to eat is because of the sugar content......and also the sugar is why they make a better alcohol.... but I just feel that the industry should be using a different sugar source... not one we eat. imo.

Leave a comment:

• moparmaniac07
    replied
    Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
    Farmers dont get paid not to plant corn anymore. They still get a check from the government based on how much corn they plant, and most say they dont need it, but it comes anyway.

As for getting rid of it, well if you like 7:1 compression and really high gas prices then sure, get rid of it. If you build an engine with the compression needed to really get some use out of ethanol, you will never want to go back to gas. If you modify a low compression engine like in any new car out there today, you will love the power and how long the engine lasts, and how long you can go between oil changes. Its an awesome fuel that you can make at home and run in any ICE very easily.

If you just stay steadfastly against it, bitch and moan about it, never actually try it, and call for getting rid of it, well you are climbing into the pocket of the people that supply you gasoline that wears out your engine and pollutes your air. Some of them even want to kill you. You will also never understand the difference between the two fuels. First hand knowledge goes a long way. Lots of things are blamed on ethanol that arent true or even based in reality. You can say ethanol ate this or that, but was it really tested? Some of us are testing it and not finding what so many people claim they heard or saw from someone else.

Oldsman could switch his EFI system to ethanol very easily, throw some E or C heads on his 455 with flat top slugs and have a hard running car that probably gets better mileage than he does on gas, with LOTS more power.

What we need is to get other stuff going so the pressure isnt on corn all the time, there is a ton of shit to make fuel from that isnt so dependent on weather. I am probably more pissed off about that than any of you are.

Also, most of the corn grown today goes to cattle feed, when if you ferment it first, then feed the cows, chickens and hogs what comes out after the alcohol is produced, they gain weight 17% faster, dont get burned out on it like they would on straight corn, and they produce far less methane from digesting it. They cant digest the starch in corn, so it is wasted in cattle feed, and ethanol only uses the starch leaving everything else the animals can digest. You get a two for one with corn.

The corn we feed animals and yeast is VERY different from the corn you eat on the cob or in cans of creamed corn. That is sweet corn, the cows eat white or field corn which is a very different variety. So we arent using our food for fuel, we are using things our food cant eat for fuel, and the feeding them the leftovers. Nobody in their right mind wants to eat white corn, unless they pick it early and dunk it in boiling water before the enzymes convert the sugar in the kernels to starch.
    A couple of things:

I doubt E10 or E15 will realize the gains you're talking about (which is what the mandate is for).

The two main types of corn are sweet corn (the kind we eat directly), and what is called "field" corn around here. Sweet corn can be white, yellow, or bi-colored. I prefer the bicolor, and that's mainly what we grow, but there are a lot of people that eat white sweet corn also. Field corn is typically yellow (I've never seen white, but there are many different varieties of corn, so there may be white field corn). The corn that gets fed to the animals and used for ethanol is "field" corn. That corn is used for food products like "high fructose corn syrup", some types of flower, and probably many others. There are many food products that use corn syrup, and they will increase as the price of corn increases.

Not against alternate fuel, just pointing out what I picked up on. Also you admitted yourself that E10/15 did more harm than good.

Leave a comment:

• Mater
    replied
    Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
    Thats strange, if the corn we need for food is different than the corn that didn't grow in the fields this year then why is the price of food going up 3% this year and 4% next year because of a drought that didn't produce corn we didn't need in the first place?
    fuel cost and speculators

Leave a comment:

• Mater
    replied
    Originally posted by skullbucket View Post
    Ethanol should be discontinued altogether, its a big waste of resources, man power and time.
    No one wants it but the big executives it created high paying jobs for.
    not all of it E85 makes good cheap race fuel

Leave a comment:

• skullbucket
    replied
    Thats strange, if the corn we need for food is different than the corn that didn't grow in the fields this year then why is the price of food going up 3% this year and 4% next year because of a drought that didn't produce corn we didn't need in the first place?
    Last edited by skullbucket; August 19, 2012, 12:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thumpin455
    replied
    Farmers dont get paid not to plant corn anymore. They still get a check from the government based on how much corn they plant, and most say they dont need it, but it comes anyway.

As for getting rid of it, well if you like 7:1 compression and really high gas prices then sure, get rid of it. If you build an engine with the compression needed to really get some use out of ethanol, you will never want to go back to gas. If you modify a low compression engine like in any new car out there today, you will love the power and how long the engine lasts, and how long you can go between oil changes. Its an awesome fuel that you can make at home and run in any ICE very easily.

If you just stay steadfastly against it, bitch and moan about it, never actually try it, and call for getting rid of it, well you are climbing into the pocket of the people that supply you gasoline that wears out your engine and pollutes your air. Some of them even want to kill you. You will also never understand the difference between the two fuels. First hand knowledge goes a long way. Lots of things are blamed on ethanol that arent true or even based in reality. You can say ethanol ate this or that, but was it really tested? Some of us are testing it and not finding what so many people claim they heard or saw from someone else.

What we need is to get other stuff going so the pressure isnt on corn all the time, there is a ton of shit to make fuel from that isnt so dependent on weather. I am probably more pissed off about that than any of you are.

Also, most of the corn grown today goes to cattle feed, when if you ferment it first, then feed the cows, chickens and hogs what comes out after the alcohol is produced, they gain weight 17% faster, dont get burned out on it like they would on straight corn, and they produce far less methane from digesting it. They cant digest the starch in corn, so it is wasted in cattle feed, and ethanol only uses the starch leaving everything else the animals can digest. You get a two for one with corn.

The corn we feed animals and yeast is VERY different from the corn you eat on the cob or in cans of creamed corn. That is sweet corn, the cows eat white or field corn which is a very different variety. So we arent using our food for fuel, we are using things our food cant eat for fuel, and the feeding them the leftovers. Nobody in their right mind wants to eat white corn, unless they pick it early and dunk it in boiling water before the enzymes convert the sugar in the kernels to starch.

Leave a comment:

• oldsman496
    replied
    You shouldn't burn your food as fuel..... as a national policy specifically.

and i agree with skull....no one really asked for it except those who felt they could make a dime from it. and they marketed it to successfully create it as a national policy. bleh.

Leave a comment:

• skullbucket
    replied
    Ethanol should be discontinued altogether, its a big waste of resources, man power and time.
    No one wants it but the big executives it created high paying jobs for.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    8.00 a gallon milk is not my thing, and we need to feed the tasty cattle I so enjoy eating. bottle their methane ... methane digester powered Dairies are here. I'd rather the corn be released to feed my cattle.

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied
    Grow Weed!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    You mean the govt no longer subsidizes the farmers to not grow corn to keep the prices up?

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    In the early 80s, alcohol/gas mixes were the latest craze to fix all of our problems..... it died, in about the same amount of time this one will. Honestly, I think thumpn was smart to be brewing his own, because I honestly don't think that mandate will last another 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• antmnte
    replied
    Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
    drop all mandates
    Yeah,think anyone gettin paid on this deal? You would have to have your head inside your ass to think different.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X