Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone do side work to fund car/ truck projects? what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone do side work to fund car/ truck projects? what is it?

noobie here, been lurking for a while, now i guess i'll dive in, like most of us, im a a jack of all trades kind of guy and like most of us, most of the household funds go to the family, so im trying to get some ideas on what guys do to fund their projects. any ideas? my brother and i we're joking around the other day about our wives' friends that sell those "31" bags and stuff like that and have home parties. we said we should start someting like that with speed parts and have garage parties! dumb idea? i know i would probobly go to something like that just to hang out and maybe see new stuff demonstrated, any other ideas??

When I drove derby years ago, I made scrap hauls to add to the house budget and fund my derby running..
    Now the kid isn't married, so he lives cheaply.. And I make fewer hauls to help my household budget and his and his sister's derbying.. I need to make more hauls now as my budget increased and income stayed the same!

Comment

Kitchen and bath remodels .... I take on a job when I need parts.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

yep, laser cut parts
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I paint houses and do odd construction jobs for people and every so often I'll fix someones car, usually A/C work, though I tuned up a VW bus the other day..........

Comment

fix cars, sell scrap, and sell stuff on c list......... some handy work..... beg parts form other friends that are moving up to bigger and better stuff
            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I will (and do) engineer for car parts.

Mechanical design, that is.
              Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I have a lawn mower repair, edger repair, and a tiolet bowl seal to complete this weekend. also have a set of 1847 shutters from a house i need to finish restoring for another customer. I also need to repair the bathroom tub faucets for the landlord , now that i think about it....these should bring in enough to pay the electric bill and fill the fridge.... I also have a brake job, an a/c receiver dryer replacement w/recharge, and a plug and wire replacement to do for next weekend.... if i didn't have these side jobs, i wouldn't be eating as often
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I used to fund all my car stuff with only car sourced income. I would build transmissions, carbs, set up gears, tune things so they went faster, and trade or sell parts to get what I needed for mine. Ive traded bucket seats for entire cars and found most of what I wanted and needed to run N/A 11s on a threadbare budget in street trim. Lately, my bills are low enough that I can build stuff without all the horse trading and extra work, its kinda nice, but I am still on a tight budget so it just takes me longer but stresses me much less.

Comment

Eh .... food is over rated
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

used to be a side work wild man
                      but now base job takes all my time

Comment

I do occaissonal side work on a couple friends' cars. Mostly, I keep them reliable and some upgrades. I don't work on as many people's rides as I used mainly because I got tired of them no wanting to pay me when I was finished. "Can I hit you up when I get paid?" type of BS.

I also work stupid hours work for the extra income.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

recently, I have replaced a radiator+water pump in a jeep, replaced a motherboard in a laptop, replaced a hdd in a desktop, repaired a flat screen TV power supply, and I have a refrigerator part to install on Monday.

I only do stuff for friends so I don't charge enough, but all $ collected goes into the "project fund".

Oh, as mentioned above I get stiffed once in a while too. When the offending person needs something else done they magically remember that they owe me money. For him/her it's cash + before ordering parts/supplies. That is also my policy for "friends friends".

I would be waaaaaay broke "selling" new go fast parts LOL
                          Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; August 18, 2012, 05:33 AM.
                          A.K.A. Brian
                          Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Sell off junk or work over time if it is available. Sometimes ride the bike to work . ( 30 miles one way. I can do it 1 hr 40 min. ) And yes sometime I cut back on food. Like take my lunch instead of buying it.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Worked at a Cadillac/Olds dealership for 25+yrs, while Adjunct Instructor at a local Technical College (contract/night classes) on and off, while doing Cadillac/GM and "speed shop" side work, while "hiring out" to other shops locally that had problem-child Cadillac stuff they couldn't fix, AND still working for Snap-On Tools as an "on-call" Diagnostic Tech-Rep.

This was just to have race car money, build a "speed shop" and equip it, while not going broke in the process.

Still have 4 of the 5 jobs...after getting "retired" a few months ago by the new dealership owner. Didn't matter to me, I just work at my shop more, and take their customers.....they raised their prices so much, its easy....

If there's a will, there's a way....

Comment

Working...
                              X