Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone do side work to fund car/ truck projects? what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ls7gto
    replied
    I said once I went back to work I would quit the side work. I got to stop lying to myself ! I have snuff work at home, and a few at other rod shops that I could quit the dealership gig. I need to learn that little word.....NO !

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I tried doing car work for others to make money and I did OK but eventually decided to own the car I was working and fix it and resell it. That's worked pretty well. I eventually bought repairable totals with clean titles and put them together - pays really well. When I was in Michigan I almost always had a buyer lined up before the car was done. I haven't done much since retiring but I know I can if I need to.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; August 19, 2012, 11:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mrocketscience
    replied
    I don't like to work on other people's cars, so I don't do that. Extra income for car stuff comes from playing music (people pay me to play guitar!? Who would've thought), Ebay stuff (buy and sell guitars and car parts I don't need), wife writes college papers for people that need a little help, things like that. I too have an alimony payment to an ex that would fund some nice things, but I guess that isn't going to change

Leave a comment:

• oldsman496
    replied
    Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
    I must have it backwards. i do "car work" to fund my alimony payment

"Cheaper to keep her?"

why even bother with marriage? just find a girl who drive you nuts and buy her a house....!

Leave a comment:

• BigBlockMopar
    replied
    When working on cars I usually work on them from the side. Unless I'm adjusting headlights or replacing the trunkseal gasket for instance...

Leave a comment:

• oldsman71
    replied
    sorry to hear that DG

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied
    I must have it backwards. i do "car work" to fund my alimony payment

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    I'm a male dancer in my spare time. I take care of you car junkie guy'sess wifes. HA! j/k. I'd starve. I haven't flipped a car in years, I used to do it all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Mater
    replied
    i buy cheap cars part them out keep the parts i need and sell and scrap the rest. some times on rare instances i flip the car like my $500 grand am i sold for $1600

that is my job as i am unemployed
    Last edited by Mater; August 18, 2012, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Caveman Tony
    replied
    anyone built hot rods to fund projects? or is turnaround time too long?

how bout anyone flip cars?

Leave a comment:

• Caddyman
    replied
    Worked at a Cadillac/Olds dealership for 25+yrs, while Adjunct Instructor at a local Technical College (contract/night classes) on and off, while doing Cadillac/GM and "speed shop" side work, while "hiring out" to other shops locally that had problem-child Cadillac stuff they couldn't fix, AND still working for Snap-On Tools as an "on-call" Diagnostic Tech-Rep.

This was just to have race car money, build a "speed shop" and equip it, while not going broke in the process.

Still have 4 of the 5 jobs...after getting "retired" a few months ago by the new dealership owner. Didn't matter to me, I just work at my shop more, and take their customers.....they raised their prices so much, its easy....

If there's a will, there's a way....

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    Sell off junk or work over time if it is available. Sometimes ride the bike to work . ( 30 miles one way. I can do it 1 hr 40 min. ) And yes sometime I cut back on food. Like take my lunch instead of buying it.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyWhiteBoy
    replied
    recently, I have replaced a radiator+water pump in a jeep, replaced a motherboard in a laptop, replaced a hdd in a desktop, repaired a flat screen TV power supply, and I have a refrigerator part to install on Monday.

I only do stuff for friends so I don't charge enough, but all $ collected goes into the "project fund".

Oh, as mentioned above I get stiffed once in a while too. When the offending person needs something else done they magically remember that they owe me money. For him/her it's cash + before ordering parts/supplies. That is also my policy for "friends friends".

I would be waaaaaay broke "selling" new go fast parts LOL
    Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; August 18, 2012, 05:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    I do occaissonal side work on a couple friends' cars. Mostly, I keep them reliable and some upgrades. I don't work on as many people's rides as I used mainly because I got tired of them no wanting to pay me when I was finished. "Can I hit you up when I get paid?" type of BS.

I also work stupid hours work for the extra income.

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    used to be a side work wild man
    but now base job takes all my time

Leave a comment:

Working...
X